V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

How to change the seal on the ATF fill tube?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:18 AM
dnl

Default How to change the seal on the ATF fill tube?

I have a 2000 Mustang. It is a V6 Base model.
It looks like the seal where the ATF fill tube connects to the reservoir is leaking. Once or twice a week I find a small amount on the driveway. It is always in the same spot, and it feels like it is coming from where the filler tube is.
I tried to change this seal, but couldn't figure out how to get to the screw that holds the filler tube in place. I can't see it, and could barely get my hand to feel where it is. I don't see how I would get a wrench to it.
Are there any suggestions?
Also I have had some tell me that I may have overfilled the ATF, and that it is venting off the extra. That I should just leave it alone. Any opinions on that?
Thanks for your help.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:56 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

As far as the seal goes it is just an o-ring on the end of the dipstick tube. The bolt will come off, promise.

If you overfilled it no, you should not just leave it alone. You should drain the fluid and fill it to the proper level. Have you checked the fluid level on the dipstick?
Old 03-20-2013, 06:50 AM
dnl

I have checked the level, and it did look a little high. The problem for me is knowing when the engine is warm enough to get a correct level.
If it's high I guess that would mean dropping the pan and putting another gasket on it. I did that last summer, that was not fun.
As far as the bolt on the dipstick tube, the problem is I can't figure out how to get to it. Any suggestions on that?
Thanks for your help.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Just loosen all the bolts on the back of the pan (toward the rear of the car) and then take out the bolts on the side until it starts to drain out. Then one by one remove them until only the front two are in. After that loosen them a bit at a time and most of the fluid should come out. Plus the gaskets can be re-used.

It bolts to the back of the head right? I would suggest a ratcheting wrench
Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 AM
dnl

I am going to drive it to warm it up and check the fluid. If it's high, I was thinking that I might be able to use a pump and drain the extra through the dipstick tube.
As far as the bolt that I am trying to get at, I am going to see if I can get at it through the passenger side wheel well. I can't see another way to get at it.
Thanks for the help.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:39 PM
dnl

Got it.
Finally was able to see the bolt and was able to change the O-ring.
I drove the car about 15 miles to warm it up, and checked the fluid level. It was good.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:30 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dnl
I am going to drive it to warm it up and check the fluid. If it's high, I was thinking that I might be able to use a pump and drain the extra through the dipstick tube.
Yes, that is all you have to do. I’ve done this many times on various vehicles. A simple hand pump, available at most auto parts stores, will do the job nicely. This is also my preferred method for draining the tranny before dropping the pan. Allot less (potential) mess when most of the fluid its already out of the pan when you drop it.