V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Please Help Diagnosing Fuel Pump Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 04:06 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

It doesn't have to completely turn to lacquer to cause problems. These pumps suck in thru a mesh filter "sock". It wouldn't take much of a "lacquer" effect to clog the sock up preventing fuel flow.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:53 PM
blue stang
2nd Gear Member

Right, I know how all that works. It's just that I have had gas sit for longer than four months without any change at all. I have even left the same gas in my Mustang for about six months wile I was living at college. Maybe Michigan has more preservatives in the gas since we are at the end of the supply line. I'm sure it even varies from one gas station to another.

In general I still recommend everyone use something like STA-BIL if they know they will be storing their car for a long time.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:10 AM
dngnmn

Did you fix your problem? I'm new and this is my second post, so I'm not an expert but when I got my 1999 v6 today, it wouldn't crank after sitting a year. I took a small funnel and tricked gas into the intake through the pcv hose. I would crank. this ruled out everything except fuel. slipped under tank and listened for pump as wife turned on key. nothing. installed new pump and I could hear it prime when key was turned on. car cranked.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:40 PM
ford5917

I fixed mine by purging about 10 0z of fuel from my rail. opend the valve and turned the key on and off about 10 X. Fired right up
Old 04-08-2015, 01:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by ComputerGuyKyle
Fair warning up front, I'm mechanically inclined but don't know much about cars.

I have a 1998 Mustang V6 with 150K miles. After the AC went out and I bought a new car in 2014, I foolishly left it sitting for four months without being operated. I went and tried to start it, but the battery was dead. I recharged it, and now it tries to start but fails.

From the Schrader valve I can tell there's no fuel pressure. I don't know if I could ever hear the fuel pump priming or what to listen for there, but that's what I'm thinking it is (dead fuel pump). If I spray ether into the intake, the car will almost start up, but obviously can't sustain itself since there's no fuel coming in after that.

The way I figure, it's one of three things:

1. Fuel pump has died (no biggie - order a replacement, install myself, I know I can do this)

2. No power supplied to the fuel pump (maybe some wiring got shredded by a cat that crawled up underneath at some point?)

3. Blockage

Do you think I've diagnosed the problem correctly? Is there some diagnostic flowchart I should be following in my head to determine if it's the fuel pump and not wiring or a blockage in the fuel lines somewhere? Is there something I can do to be sure it's the fuel pump? Connect a voltmeter to some wires somewhere and measure with it?

What should my next step be? I'm thinking of checking with a junkyard for a fuel pump or ordering a new one off the Internet and installing it.

I'm basically afraid an animal shredded something under the car that I am incapable of fixing myself or of ordering a $200 fuel pump and that not being the problem. I'm looking to get rid of this car, and I'd sure like to try to sell it as a functioning car rather than a broken one, and I know it's not worth so much that I can go spending $800 to fix it.

Please let me know what steps I should be taking to know if it's the fuel pump. Thank you very much!

(And for what it's worth, I live in Central Texas, so the weather would have been hot to moderate over the time the car sit. No freezing temps at all, if that matters.)
if the pump isn't priming, it's not getting power. Check the fuel pump inertia switch to see if resetting it doesn't fix the problem. Next things I'd check are the fuse and relay, then the connections.