Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Fuel System upgrade for Supercharged 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 04:50 PM
Jebmustangv6
2nd Gear Member

you can also get gt500 injectors they are 52lb and will allow you to upgrade later with a BAP and not have to change injectors to run more boost. but I been told no more then 12lbs boost on a stock v6 bottum end safely. but when I get a lil more money I will find out as I wanna go turbo. I settled for n20 for now.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:19 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jebmustangv6
you can also get gt500 injectors they are 52lb and will allow you to upgrade later with a BAP and not have to change injectors to run more boost. but I been told no more then 12lbs boost on a stock v6 bottum end safely. but when I get a lil more money I will find out as I wanna go turbo. I settled for n20 for now.
Are you planning on fabricating spacers so they fit the 4.0 fuel rails? Will the boost a pump work with 52lb injectors?
Old 03-01-2010, 06:46 AM
Jebmustangv6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GrayPony
Are you planning on fabricating spacers so they fit the 4.0 fuel rails? Will the boost a pump work with 52lb injectors?
no on making custom spacers. I may have been told incorrect info. I was told that the shorter gt500 injectors will fit the stock v6 fuel rail as the gt500 fuel rails sit lower then the gt fuel rails just like the v6 fuel rails. I have been told you can use the boost a pump up to 60lb injectors. that info may be incorrect also will have to look it up and let you know.

I did a lot of reading on the boost a pump web site. no real set in stone injector size they are using the stock 52lb injectors on their 725 hp king snake kit and dual fuel pumps. I will call them when they open and get more precise answers but on their web tech link they show it working with up to 55lb hr injectors but that is with the gt500 dual pumps not a single pump.
as for weather or not the 52lb GT500 injectors fit the v6 I have no real answer on that yet. can't find anyone but the person who recommended them that has used them in a v6 application. so will have to find tech specs on shape, and size.

OK talked to a reputable dealer of the frpp GT500 stock injectors and was told that yes the gt500 injectors are a direct bolt in for the v6 engines. so yes they will fit without modifications to the fuel rails and spacers. you will still need to tune for the higher flow rate. Seems the v6 and gt500 both use the short style body injectors like the cobra.
Jeff

Last edited by Jebmustangv6; 03-01-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: more info, injectors
Old 03-01-2010, 09:31 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I ran 60lb injectors on a built 4.0 with a BAP and had no issues, that was on my low 11 and high 10 second passes. We are talking well over 535 to the wheels on a dynojet. I would pass on teh GT500 setup for the 4.0 unless you got a boat load of cash for a fully built block, and some custom built $3k rods.

Though I wouldn't go this crazy unless your duty cycle was high with 39lb ers. Tony ran 39# with the stock pump and a BAP on his Procharged 4.0 with no issues, and he was cranking out some serious power as well. I would take it to a tuner or data log it to see your duty cycle.

Last edited by rygenstormlocke; 03-01-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Jebmustangv6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rygenstormlocke
I ran 60lb injectors on a built 4.0 with a BAP and had no issues, that was on my low 11 and high 10 second passes. We are talking well over 535 to the wheels on a dynojet. I would pass on teh GT500 setup for the 4.0 unless you got a boat load of cash for a fully built block, and some custom built $3k rods.

Though I wouldn't go this crazy unless your duty cycle was high with 39lb ers. Tony ran 39# with the stock pump and a BAP on his Procharged 4.0 with no issues, and he was cranking out some serious power as well. I would take it to a tuner or data log it to see your duty cycle.
Todd
yes I spoke to kenne bell said it was fine to use gt500 injectors with the bap even with just the stock pump said the injector size is not the limit said its the pump size that will limit it. I wasn't planing on gt500 stuff other then the injectors was just gonna use them cause they supposedly flow more with less resitance making it easier on the fuel pump and would allow for more hp to be made without upgrading. all of this is just learning and understanding for now don't have the money to go forced yet anyway. thanks for commenting though. You have been there and done that witch means a lot more then what some will admit.
Jeff
Old 03-02-2010, 02:27 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Thanks. Yes, agreed on the larger injector, which is why Mike put 60lb ers in my built block. For stock block though, I think its a different story.

EDIT: Also, you should know with the 60's, BAP and rewired stock pump, I think I was almost to 90% duty cycle when I was hitting it with the juice and boost, ie. the HP number above. I had some grow room. Mike said the best the car could go fuel pump wise was probably 10.7s before I would need to go to GT500 pumps.

Last edited by rygenstormlocke; 03-02-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Zak

Injectors are in the mail, and the car has been tuned. I have done a good bit of work supercharging carbureted engines (my other car is a 1972 Mustang Mach 1 with a Blown 302) so I just applied what I knew about tuning those correctly and used the programmer. I gave it the right amount of advance, and made it run a little rich for safety. Then, I just let the engine codes tell me when something is wrong. Obviously, with the small injectors it runs too lean if you don't just put around outside of the boosted rpm range. So, I don't do that... Duh...
Old 03-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Jebmustangv6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zak
Injectors are in the mail, and the car has been tuned. I have done a good bit of work supercharging carbureted engines (my other car is a 1972 Mustang Mach 1 with a Blown 302) so I just applied what I knew about tuning those correctly and used the programmer. I gave it the right amount of advance, and made it run a little rich for safety. Then, I just let the engine codes tell me when something is wrong. Obviously, with the small injectors it runs too lean if you don't just put around outside of the boosted rpm range. So, I don't do that... Duh...
Sorry I high jacked your thread some. The info is good and needs to be out there. Yes with forced induction you always need bigger injectors on a multi port system and even on a TBI system in most cases. Its a learning curve, Fuel injection is a lot different then a carb, but if you want it simplified think of the injectors as jets if you go forced on a carb you have to change jets to get the right mixture same with Fuel injection only your replacing injectors. Also just like a carb set up at certain power levels a new pump or Bap is needed.