Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:41 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Common 4.0 engine issues to watch for

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:23 AM
A/FXslotcarGene

By the way - on the subject of parking cables. Like other guys, I had this bite me several times during the winters here in NJ. I had them all replaced on warranty, and at least once, it warped my rear rotors, and eventually one of them actually broke. I remember going to work that morning and while stopped at a light, I saw smoke going past me. At first I thought it was just water vapor, but it didn't dissipate like it usually does. I got out and saw the smoke coming out from the right side wheel. I couldn't believe the dealer didn't catch that one while it was cracked. They told me I was also pulling up on my hand brake too hard, and so they adjusted it much looser. Yeah, right. I now have to pull it up much further.
SlotcarGene
Old 07-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Used to be you could only get SeaFoam at NAPA... but now most places carry it. It's great stuff.... us Bikers have known about it for years actually. Get yer can of Seafoam.... and go to the gas station... pour the seafoam in the tank then fill her up. Give it a quarter mile or so... the DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT for a wee bit. You should notice the difference almost immediately.

As to the oil filter issue...... whilst plausible, I'm not so sure about that... but then, I've always changed my oil and used name brand filters. What brand filter do they use at the Juffy Lube?

Sorry to hear that there's actually visible problems but... at least they could point them out to you as opposed to you havint to take their word "on faith".

BTW... you can get motorcraft filters at Walmart and they're priced on-par with all the others on shelf there.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:43 AM
A/FXslotcarGene

Default Suggestions for stripes, inexpensive performance upgrades

Boneman - what is a "de-snorkled airbox"? I also run a K&N filter, but my '05 is still completely stock otherwise.
I would like to do two or three "bolt-on" things to it to get better performance without spending a lot. I've always felt like my car lacked "snap", and I think it's because of the auto trans. Anything to improve that? I am thinking about a Ford Racing Exhaust like I saw in a video on another Mustang board, if they make one for an '05. I loved the sound and the dual-exhaust is one thing I always thought should have been on the car anyway(and a sunroof!). Is that right that you can get 15 HP with the FR kit? Freeing up your exhaust frees up power, so I can see where that may be.
So, what I'm looking for info on is:
- What's a "CAI"?
- Whats a de-snorkled airbox?
- Why is my auto trans so "soft"
- Where can I get those fat over the hood/roof/deck stripes done in NJ? Can it be done easily at home?
- Does anyone make a vintage Trans-Am style nose spoiler for these cars? It already has the rear wing, all it needs are rear window louvers and that nose spoiler to get the vintage look. Those vintage Halibrand-style wheels help, too.
If you guys could give me some suggestions, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks
SlotcarGene
Old 07-06-2011, 08:04 AM
A/FXslotcarGene

Default Oil filter issue, and does Z-Max, Engine Restorer, etc. work well?

No, the filters were always name brand, mostly Fram usually. He said it has to do with the design itself, not brand quality. But I always had good quality filters. Oh, I said Autolite - I meant Motorcraft, thanks. The tech, his name was Jimmy - he seemed very honest and sincere and wasn't eager to push the motor work on me(or maybe he should...?). He showed me how the oil wasn't getting up there, and I guess it was a tech bulletin demonstration, on the oil filter issue. I just want to get a couple other opinions on whether I NEED to have the cams, tensioners and rockers replaced, or can I keep driving it the way it is without further harm, if I take a few precautions and do them religiously.

One other question - has anybody found any of the major oil or fuel treatments to be especially effective on a high mileage 4.0? I mean Z-Max, Restore, and that other big one, a super lubricant, that I can't seem to remember the name of. Must be getting old...

Thanks again...
SlotcarGene
Originally Posted by Boneman
Used to be you could only get SeaFoam at NAPA... but now most places carry it. It's great stuff.... us Bikers have known about it for years actually. Get yer can of Seafoam.... and go to the gas station... pour the seafoam in the tank then fill her up. Give it a quarter mile or so... the DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT for a wee bit. You should notice the difference almost immediately.

As to the oil filter issue...... whilst plausible, I'm not so sure about that... but then, I've always changed my oil and used name brand filters. What brand filter do they use at the Juffy Lube?

Sorry to hear that there's actually visible problems but... at least they could point them out to you as opposed to you havint to take their word "on faith".

BTW... you can get motorcraft filters at Walmart and they're priced on-par with all the others on shelf there.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:07 AM
A/FXslotcarGene

Default NTO rear sway bar

Boneman - how much is that NTO sway bar, and did you install it yourself? What difference have you noticed?
SlotcarGene
Old 07-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by A/FXslotcarGene
Boneman - what is a "de-snorkled airbox"?
Ah, that's easy. Look at the actual inlet of your stock airbox. You'll see there's a wee rubber rectangular piece that's attached to the ridged plastic of the box itself. It kinda extends into the fender. REMOVE it. You'll see that it actually opens up the inlet of the box considerably.

I also run a K&N filter, but my '05 is still completely stock otherwise.
I would like to do two or three "bolt-on" things to it to get better performance without spending a lot. I've always felt like my car lacked "snap", and I think it's because of the auto trans. Anything to improve that?
Absolutely. Get an X-cal from Justin (VMP tuning, I believe) in here... it will come with three different tunes and ALL of them will change your shift points and tighten them up considerabley. Worked wonders on mo '04 3.9l 'Stang.

I am thinking about a Ford Racing Exhaust like I saw in a video on another Mustang board, if they make one for an '05. I loved the sound and the dual-exhaust is one thing I always thought should have been on the car anyway(and a sunroof!). Is that right that you can get 15 HP with the FR kit?
Could very well be... under optimal conditions, etc. Either way... there are insane varieties of exhaust available for our cars. Do your research here and elsewhere on the web.

- What's a "CAI"?
Stands for "Cold Air Induction". Basically, an aftermarket air filter and tube from filter to throttle body.

- Whats a de-snorkled airbox?
See above.

- Why is my auto trans so "soft"
Blue Oval Stock Settings

- Where can I get those fat over the hood/roof/deck stripes done in NJ? Can it be done easily at home?
I think they're applique type graphics... and yes, you can do them at home if... you're at least a little bit co-ordinated, patient and able to closely follow instructions. ;-) American Muscle seems to carry a few:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/grandl...FQFN4AodU28vVQ

- Does anyone make a vintage Trans-Am style nose spoiler for these cars? It already has the rear wing, all it needs are rear window louvers and that nose spoiler to get the vintage look. Those vintage Halibrand-style wheels help, too.
If you guys could give me some suggestions, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks
SlotcarGene
spoilers at A.M. too:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/05-07-....html#shop-by6

Shop around man! It's all out there... but get that engine squared away... and dammit, I'm stoppin' to get a motorcraft filter on my way home tonight... I believe I've got a FRAM on there at the moment... :-O
Old 07-07-2011, 05:54 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by A/FXslotcarGene
Boneman - how much is that NTO sway bar, and did you install it yourself? What difference have you noticed?
SlotcarGene
K... we're gettin' a little off-topic here but I'll say BONUS POINTS for the oil filter tip....

The rear sway bar is $99.99 from one of our site sponsors here:

http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang-16.aspx

Makes for a flatter, much more confident machine through the twisties. And that with me running "stock" 16" wheels and tires... hey, I like 'em what can I say. Especially with the 3-point "spinners" in the center.