Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

used gears need a "break in" period?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 10:14 AM
amaNIN
1st Gear Member

Default used gears need a "break in" period?

I know new gears need to be broken in, but I put a set of used Ford 3.73's in a 2008 V6. No whine whatsoever but I am a little afraid to punch it just yet. Do the new bearings need a "break in" period too?
Thanx for listenting in advance
Old 02-27-2015, 01:45 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by amaNIN
I know new gears need to be broken in, but I put a set of used Ford 3.73's in a 2008 V6. No whine whatsoever but I am a little afraid to punch it just yet. Do the new bearings need a "break in" period too?
Thanx for listenting in advance
Hey AmaNIN,

I always recommend letting any moving parts (gears, bearings, etc) break in before going too hard on them.

That being said, there is no need to completely baby the car, but sticking with regular/average driving for the first few-hundred miles if a good idea.

How are you liking your 3.73's? I love how much they wake up the car.

-Will
Old 02-27-2015, 03:36 PM
amaNIN
1st Gear Member

Hey AMWILL,
3.73's are so amazing! I accidentally punched the gas last nite and I chirped third! And today I squeaked both tires passing up a chevy Sonic from a stop lol. I can see the hood of the car instantly raise up when accelerating(stock suspension). I just hope its ok to drive it without synching the gears and speedo for a bit, cause I gotta get to work and the Ice Hockey Rink. The speedo I is about 7mph faster than actual. Still waiting for my new tunes because my stupid diablosport INTUNE doesn't let me change the axle/gear ratio to specifically 3.73, It'll let me change it to 3.81 tho!!
Shoulda got a SCTx4 (and a V8). Oh well BAMA is the best tuners in the Universe!
Best mod yet and I haven't even floored it yet
Old 02-28-2015, 12:06 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMWill
Hey AmaNIN,

I always recommend letting any moving parts (gears, bearings, etc) break in before going too hard on them.

That being said, there is no need to completely baby the car, but sticking with regular/average driving for the first few-hundred miles if a good idea.

How are you liking your 3.73's? I love how much they wake up the car.

-Will
This is solid advice.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:38 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by amaNIN
Hey AMWILL,
3.73's are so amazing! I accidentally punched the gas last nite and I chirped third! And today I squeaked both tires passing up a chevy Sonic from a stop lol. I can see the hood of the car instantly raise up when accelerating(stock suspension). I just hope its ok to drive it without synching the gears and speedo for a bit, cause I gotta get to work and the Ice Hockey Rink. The speedo I is about 7mph faster than actual. Still waiting for my new tunes because my stupid diablosport INTUNE doesn't let me change the axle/gear ratio to specifically 3.73, It'll let me change it to 3.81 tho!!
Shoulda got a SCTx4 (and a V8). Oh well BAMA is the best tuners in the Universe!
Best mod yet and I haven't even floored it yet
Hey amaNIN,

I'm glad you are loving the gears! They are one of the best "bang for your buck" mods you can get.

In regards to driving, you should be completely fine. Nothing to worry about!

Keep us updated! I'm sure you will love them even more when you start having some fun with your updated tune.

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
This is solid advice.
Appreciate it!

-Will
Old 03-02-2015, 10:15 AM
amaNIN
1st Gear Member

Okay, so now that they are in, and being "broken-in", should I change the gear oil after 400 miles? I forgot to ask the shop, they didn't tell me anything but I think they thought that I knew what to do because I had the parts and bearings etc. I even told them to "make sure you use friction modifier with the gear oil" lol Oh and does my diff have a drain plug and a fill hole? Or will the the pumpkin cover have to come off?
Old 03-02-2015, 05:44 PM
amaNIN
1st Gear Member

oh and one more thing....It smells like gear oil after the car has been driven. It was more noticeable right away inside the car when I drove it home from the shop. Now I just smell gear oil outside the car after its been driven. I just looked underneath and there is evidence of gear fluid coming from the filler bolt.

tefflon tape? RTV sealant? or just tightening?

So its been 5 days since I got the car back. So shall I put more fluid in? I dont think too much oil was lost but I am concerned. How shall I go about this fix? Put an ounce of fluid in? Use some Teflon tape, RTV sealant, or just simply tighten the bolt? Or all four? Any help is GREATLY appreciated

Last edited by amaNIN; 03-02-2015 at 07:57 PM. Reason: grammar, wanted to explain myself better
Old 03-03-2015, 10:07 AM
amaNIN
1st Gear Member

okay I put some Teflon tape on the thread and installed it, but the plug wont go all the way in. And when I took it off IT WASN'T EVEN TIGHT! I tightened(with the Teflon tape) a couple of extra 1\8th turns when it was very tight.

I cleaned a bit of the oil b4 I threaded the teflon

a little bit better pic

will this stop the seep/leak?

I did not torque the bolt either.......hope this works. and I did not put any more oil in....*gulp*
Old 03-12-2015, 09:55 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Ford has their own combination threadlock/sealer that should work. I think it's TA-25.

Norm