Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

If money and tires were not an issue what would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:54 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

Default If money and tires were not an issue what would you buy?

I wanted to see if you could buy any rims and tires to put on the 2010 Mustang GT what would you buy? I do realize this is very subjective but I wanted to see if there was a trend?
Old 12-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

This depends completely on the type of driving you want to do. Take a look at my Choosing a new tire thread and will get some insight on the type of tire you might want and why it would be best for you.

I am 100% into the corners and have zero desire for launching anywhere. For such a tire, I want a VERY low UTQG as well as profile. My car makes LOTS of noise and the tires are a contributing factor, so you need to knowledge-up

Jazzer
Old 12-19-2009, 01:06 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
This depends completely on the type of driving you want to do. Take a look at my Choosing a new tire thread and will get some insight on the type of tire you might want and why it would be best for you.

I am 100% into the corners and have zero desire for launching anywhere. For such a tire, I want a VERY low UTQG as well as profile. My car makes LOTS of noise and the tires are a contributing factor, so you need to knowledge-up

Jazzer
I started reading the links in your footer and they really helped me decide what tires would be a good fit. I have a DD but I am also looking to do some autocross but I have some concerns over doing this in an automatic. Either way I need tires that would straddle both worlds. I am going add Tien coilovers in late Jan early Feb and I plan to do tires and rims at the same time. I have spent the last few days looking at rims and learning a lot from the thread in your footer.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:42 PM
KeneticEnergy
2nd Gear Member

if money werent an issue id go with either BBS, HRE or DPE
Old 12-19-2009, 01:49 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by KeneticEnergy
if money werent an issue id go with either BBS, HRE or DPE
Which models do you like with the black? I am really digging the BBS CH-R in the matte black with 2 matte black stipes.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:57 PM
KeneticEnergy
2nd Gear Member

i'd do staggered RX IIs or RS-GT's powdercoated flat black
Old 12-19-2009, 02:12 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

I like the RS-GT and the LM but the RX IIs are not doing it for me? Between the flat black and the silver on a black car I like them both equally? Damn it is hard to pick...
Old 12-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

If you would like a good tire that is wonderful on the corners and also deals with water quite well, I can recommend the PS2. I now run them on my Winter wheels and had the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's prior and are not as nice on the corners.

If money were NO object, I would recommend you get yourself two sets of tires/wheels so that you can run some RA1's or R888's (depending on the size you need) on Summer wheels and the PS2's on Winters, like me.

Jazzer

PS. Don't pay no nevermind to being an auto. AX is a driver-mod endeavor, so tune up on seat time
Old 12-19-2009, 03:55 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
If you would like a good tire that is wonderful on the corners and also deals with water quite well, I can recommend the PS2. I now run them on my Winter wheels and had the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's prior and are not as nice on the corners.

If money were NO object, I would recommend you get yourself two sets of tires/wheels so that you can run some RA1's or R888's (depending on the size you need) on Summer wheels and the PS2's on Winters, like me.

Jazzer

PS. Don't pay no nevermind to being an auto. AX is a driver-mod endeavor, so tune up on seat time
Thanks Jazzer. I am really considering going from my 19 inch tires down to an 18 inch tire? I am going to get some new rims shortly and the 18s have a much wider selection of tire, would reduce the weight and seem cheaper in the end. The 19 just look better!?!? Are you running forged rims and at the end of the day would a cast rim be all that different for a guy like me who is only going to autocross a few times a month?

I need to be honest reading everything in your threads below has me humbled and somewhat nervous about getitng the right combo. What rim, what rim size, what offset, what tire? This forces me to decide what brakes I want! I was thinking about a BBK but I am now thinking a 4 pison would be just fine...

I really thought it was going to be easier than this but in the end I will need to learn everything I can before I make a decision. Wow those Toyo R888's are really a sweat tire. LINK

R888 265/30ZR19 93Y = $350
R888 265/35ZR18 97Y = $312