Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Wheels & Tires brought to you by Tire Rack
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Wheels & Tires brought to you by Tire Rack Discuss rims and tires here.
Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 GTHG Ford Mustang
Default Michelin Tire or Other

Looking at Pilot® Super Sport tires. Was wondering if anyone had ran them on their S197. Would you use them again, how did you like the ride quality, handling breaking etc.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
DocSnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Just as a side note I was also looking at the Michelin Pilot® Sport A/S 3.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Vehicle: '02 s281 #0014

I have heard very good things about the Super Sports, but run the PS2's on my Winter wheels. Tires should be chosen by the needs of the driver, yet decided by the budget... what are they?

Jazzer
Jazzer The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Well I am currently rebuilding the entire suspension system on my GT. Shocks, Struts, Lowering Springs, Camber Plates, Sway Bars front, rear, Controller Arms. The tires will be going on Vossen VVSCV3 Wheels.

I live in the Pacific Northwest so I need a good tire that grips and handles well rain or shine with some snow thrown in there every so often. That is if I get caught out when it snows because I will not take this Mustang out in the snow just not going to happen. Someone would run into me here.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I can say that the SS is primarily focused on corners. It will be OK in the wet, but would not ever run them in the snow myself. What about the possibilty of running a set of A/S tires on your OEM wheels and get a go with the SS on your Vossens? This will allow you to get MUCH more out of your suspension, as your tires are far and away the most important part of grip on the road.

Jazzer
Old 05-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Well it rains a lot in Seattle..... So I am not sure going to a full on summer tire is really that worth it. I would only have them on the car maybe 2 months out of the year if I was lucky.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Seattle is a tough deal, for a car that is looking to have grip year round I am fortunate to live in an area where I can run my "Summer" wheels, from April to October. Little rain here/there, but don't DD my ride, so not a big deal for me.

As for suspension... you are building to take corners, but will not be able to really get the most of it, on an A/S tire To me, it looks like you should consider the alternate set of wheels thing, to justify the upgrades of suspension.

Jazzer
Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
Luke@tirerack
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1956 Belair
Luke Pavlick Luke Pavlick

I would agree with Jazzer as summer rubber performance starts degrading pretty rapidly once temps dip below 45 degrees ...

Pilot Super Sports are better in the wet than any all-season offering if temps are above 45 degrees

All-season tires could be your winter option as they wear better than a winter performance tire.

Personally I would run a performance winter like the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D for late fall thru winter and I summer tire like the afore mentioned Pilot Super Sport for the rest of the year.

If you are looking for extreme amounts of dry grip with acceptable wet traction the Dunlop Direzza Z2 is very popular among AutoXers and enthusiasts in the northwest
Old 05-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Cool thanks Luke, will take a look at those I had not considered Dunlops's. The stock tires are just not cutting it they seem alright but the ride is just not great feels like I am on safari.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:53 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement