Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Which tires would you get if you had 450whp

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Default Which tires would you get if you had 450whp

It's an 07 s/c GT with 255/45/18 and 285/40/18

Goodyear Eagle F1, 220 treadwear and AA traction

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Yokohama Advan Sport, 180 treadwear and AA traction

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

the yokohamas will cost $300-400 more for the set but look to be stickier with the lower treadwear rating. Think its best to go with 180 treadwear with this kind of hp? i wonder why the Eagle F1's with 220 treadwear cost half as much as the Eagle F1's with 180 treadwear made for the GT500.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

forgot to say that its my year-round DD.... if it snowed I'm definitely not driving. Unfortunately there is only "max performance summer" for these 285 wide tires. Would like all seasons
Old 11-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I understand your need to be able to run in the event of snow, but I must say that you are NOT going to be able to utilize much of that power safely, with an A/S tire The recommendation I may have depends on your needs in grip. Are they off-the-line or in a latteral sense?

What are the possibilities you can run a second set of tires JUST for those Summer months?

I have not run either, but the Advans are better than the F1 GS-D3's without question in my mind! I am not too impressed with the Eagle line these days and the F1 GS-D3's are nowhere near as good as a Michelin PS2's in latteral grip (I would recommend them) that I run on my Winter wheels in Cali. The Eagle Supercars are a better tire than the GS-D3's, but as mentioned not really impressed with them, but is why they cost more. These are all latteral grip tires and not designed for hard off-the-line grip.
Jazzer
Old 11-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
I understand your need to be able to run in the event of snow, but I must say that you are NOT going to be able to utilize much of that power safely, with an A/S tire The recommendation I may have depends on your needs in grip. Are they off-the-line or in a latteral sense?

What are the possibilities you can run a second set of tires JUST for those Summer months?

I have not run either, but the Advans are better than the F1 GS-D3's without question in my mind! I am not too impressed with the Eagle line these days and the F1 GS-D3's are nowhere near as good as a Michelin PS2's in latteral grip (I would recommend them) that I run on my Winter wheels in Cali. The Eagle Supercars are a better tire than the GS-D3's, but as mentioned not really impressed with them, but is why they cost more. These are all latteral grip tires and not designed for hard off-the-line grip.
Jazzer
thanks for reply!

Those Continental DW (dry and wet) tires are definitely the only "all seasons" that I can get 285 wide right now. They seem to last the longest judging by reviews (and 340 treadwear), but many would say the sidewalls are very soft and you lose a lot of the feel of the road with these tires. Not as sticky as any of the others. But fantastic in rain.

I currently have the Eagles on my car right now with about 10% tread left, and they still grip really well (just got the car). I guess TCS really helps them grip too without spinning the rear end of the car will sway back and forth very slightly, no spinning.

It's a tough decision between the Eagle F1 Supercars and the Yokohama Advans....both stickier, lots of mixed reviews makes it confusing.

Here's two ADVAN Sport reviews that are right next to eachother....

2009 Nissan 370Z: "All I gotta say is Im a freak when I drive. I haul buggy everywhere. I have staggered sizes on my ride. I had to change my rears out at 36k mi. they were toast, of course, I never imagined I would get 20k mi on them. Since the fronts were still very good, I left them and changed the rears only. with 50k miles on the front, it still has plenty of tread and performance left. I will end up replacing them all 4as a set. I would guess roughly at 60k miles. My tires came on the car from the dealership new. I am not sure what the others are saying about these tires, but I swear by them and want no other tire on my car. They handle great, respond well, and even at 140mph, i know they are gonna take care of me! Quick note, I drop the hammer on my car until I smoke the tires at least once a day.......over 25k miles on my rears, and they are still going strong! They are a performance tire....Use them that way!"

2007 MAZDASPEED 6: "9k and the tread is completely cooked. Regularly rotated, had an alignment right after getting them installed, all the typical recommended steps. Potenza RE050A were the OEM tires that came on the car and I beat them all to --------. They lasted 18k. I've been much more conservative with my driving on these tires and they're done after 9k. Performance wise, I'd have to say they're a bit better with responsiveness and stability than the Potenza, not a huge difference though to make up for 9k less in use. Trying to quickly determine my next tire, most likely won't be the Advan Sport though."

Guy with EVO saying the Eagles have very soft sidewall and the next guy say it handles great. We're all different.

Leaning towards Advans right now, ordering tomorrow!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OK.... the two reviews above are talking about different tires, or the first guy is absolutely full of it! No way to drive them THAT hard and get upwards of 60K miles on them. On the other hand, if they only got 9K out of them, they were driven VERY hard. If he drives "conservatively" at this point, then I can only imagine his definition of "conservative"! The trouble with reviews, is that they are subjective and there are soo many factors that come into play.

I will ask again, maybe you missed it above..... Can you afford to have two sets of wheels for Winter/Summer use?

This is what I do and avoids the year round compromise that you MUST do for Winter. This completely gives away MASSIVE amounts of grip that your S/C needs to hook up your **** end! I don't see you going wrong with the Advans, as they appear to be the best option for your described needs. Expect them to be pretty hard in cold weather until they warm up and would hesitate to run them in lower than 40 degree weather.

Jazzer
Old 11-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Yeah there's no way you can get 60k out of a performance tire. Looks like the average for the advans and the eagles are both around 10-20k miles, depending on driving habits and type of car (the heavier 4200lb SRT8 challenger seem to wear faster.. isnt that crazy how heavy they made the car!?)

I cannot get two sets right now, i'll have to save up (senior in college). Around here, it will get into the teens in mid-winter, and typically snows only once or twice. Last year though, we had several huge snow storms. So I guess when its near or below freezing, I should just drive extra slow
Old 11-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Keep in mind, if you have a real high-performance Summer only tire, such as my Toyo R888's, they can be DESTROYED if driven in freezing weather!!!! I don't know if the Advans will react soo poorly to the freezing, but you MUST look into the details of the tires PRIOR to running them in the such cold.

Jazzer
Old 11-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Keep in mind, if you have a real high-performance Summer only tire, such as my Toyo R888's, they can be DESTROYED if driven in freezing weather!!!! I don't know if the Advans will react soo poorly to the freezing, but you MUST look into the details of the tires PRIOR to running them in the such cold.

Jazzer
Thanks for heads up. I've run "ultra high performance summer" kumho ecsta's on my last car for several years... even in snow. Lasted freakishly long, like 30k miles. Hopefully these Advans dont act up

Even when I called tirerack, the guy said to stay away from the Goodyears. Even a few on GT500 forum say anything is better than the goodyears
Old 11-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jas5
Thanks for heads up. I've run "ultra high performance summer" kumho ecsta's on my last car for several years... even in snow. Lasted freakishly long, like 30k miles. Hopefully these Advans dont act up

Even when I called tirerack, the guy said to stay away from the Goodyears. Even a few on GT500 forum say anything is better than the goodyears
dont the eagle f1's have the best reviews of any tire ever?

EDIT, oh nevermind hes referring to the tires that arent eagle f1 gs d3's

get these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....GSD3&tab=Sizes

expensive though

Last edited by Andy13186; 11-28-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:47 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I ran a set of Eagle F1 GS-D3's, prior to my current set of Michelin PS2's that I use over Winter months.

The PS2's are FAR better in dry grip and eat the GS-D3's alive on the corners. I don't drive anywhere near aggressive in the wet, so cannot speak to which would hold better pushing them hard in such conditions. I have a review from several years back and found ***HERE*** if anyone is interested.

Jazzer