Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Hood Scoop Fasteners weak?

Old 09-10-2006, 03:54 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hood Scoop Fasteners weak?

Riven,
What a forkin great idea I thought about using one of those weed pulling pronged thingies....but ended up using side cutters that worked just fine. Actually, much better than I had anticipated....

That black Roush hood scoop looks great as expected. Whenever you get a chance post a side-photo to get a looks at scopp and rear spoiler...
TPony,
Thanks a bunch. I am very pleased with how it came out, to the point that I MAY not have to do stripes to tie it together. We shall see. I still need to do the quarter windows, (waiting on Saleen)....As well as swap out some Bullits,(also waiting on Saleen).. just for a different look...

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/3E585AD485D249768688C0A72027A20F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/77D3B779A37849A0B247D2C0B3138DD3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/CD9B4F32ADB74280AD560FE7D564E2DD.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-10-2006, 06:30 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Mike,

It looks brutal. It really looks very f'ing sharp. Just think about this for a minute...consider adding black rocker stripes to the side (i think that's what its called) to compliment that theme you are working on... I have considered adding a sating silver on my black stang, but I am looking around to see if there one out there I can take a look at before I decide. I am also researching the smoke signals, like you suggested. Got to make sure they are legal here in VA, last thing I know is one of Fairfax County's finised pulling me over for that....

Tony
Old 09-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Bish
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Riven02

I am a little late to post this but to remove the plastic fasteners that hold the hood liner in I used a kitchen fork. The prongs where the perfect width to slide under the pin. It worked great. The wife did look at me a little strange though [8D]
Ha what a great idea. Where were you when I did my Shaker? I actually used two flat blade screw drivers and pried from either side of the fastener and they just popped out. The fork would have been ingenious.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:52 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

It looks brutal. It really looks very f'ing sharp. Just think about this for a minute...consider adding black rocker stripes to the side (i think that's what its called) to compliment that theme you are working on... I have considered adding a sating silver on my black stang, but I am looking around to see if there one out there I can take a look at before I decide. I am also researching the smoke signals, like you suggested. Got to make sure they are legal here in VA, last thing I know is one of Fairfax County's finised pulling me over for that....
TPony,
Thank you very much. I am very pleased with how it turned out. As far as the rocker panel stripes, I have to be honest. I have never been real fond of rocker stripes, with a few exceptions....However, I have considered getting a set of Black take off rocker panels, and replacing the MG rockers with black.....Gloss, not flat.....

Your thoughts??

Mike

PS. I would think the smoked corners would almost certainly be illegal...[:'(]
Old 09-10-2006, 09:00 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Yeap, that would work too. Glossy would be my prefference, so it would match everthing else. BTW, I am a sucker for the colors black, silver and gray (the color of a Ford Ranger I also have). I think whatever you do It would certainlty look gooood.

Smoke signals....still in research mode. Although I have seen a few here in VA, but not worth getting pulled over...
Old 11-06-2006, 12:31 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

I guess it's too late for me to benefit from your good advice. I ruined a bunch of the fasteners as I took them out. I did, however, discover that the fastener suppliers have a replacement that has an oversized head. Sometimes those little holes tear out and a big head fastener is just what the doctor ordered. You have a beautiful car, by the way!

Old 11-06-2006, 08:51 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Hey, no biggie. The lesson I learned was...before I get creative with my Stang..let me check if someone has gotten creative before me and then ask..tons of ????
Old 11-25-2006, 01:12 PM
CS_Gregory

Hey Guys,
I'm going to put a hood scoop on my 06 mustang. I really like the Roush but I'm a little nervous about drilling holes and checking out the Xenon as an alternative since you don't have to drill. How easy was the install on the Roush scoop?

Steve in Cincinnati
Old 11-25-2006, 01:21 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Steve,
The roush install is very easy. The template they use makes it pretty much fool proof. Just make sure you measure for center line about 8 times before drilling. The template has cut outs to go over the windshield washer nozzles, so it's really kind of tough to get too far off track. As long as you make sure your center line is good, and the template is flat, not wrinkled when taped down, the drill holes are fairly easy to mark and drill.....

Personally, I would be a bit nervous about trusting the hood scoop to be held on by 3M tape alone. Roush uses both bolts and 3M.

Mike
Old 11-25-2006, 05:19 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

Steve,
The roush install is very easy. The template they use makes it pretty much fool proof. Just make sure you measure for center line about 8 times before drilling. The template has cut outs to go over the windshield washer nozzles, so it's really kind of tough to get too far off track. As long as you make sure your center line is good, and the template is flat, not wrinkled when taped down, the drill holes are fairly easy to mark and drill.....

Personally, I would be a bit nervous about trusting the hood scoop to be held on by 3M tape alone. Roush uses both bolts and 3M.

Mike
Steve,

I second Mike's advise. I went as far as gently ironing the template to ensure it was absolutely flat. If you precisely cut-out the windshield nozzles, you should not have any problems. Also, before you do anything, sit the scoop on top of the hood to ensure it sits down properly. Some folks had some issues with the front "legs" sitting too high. I did not have any issues. Here's a trick I learned from Mike above, put a blanket or something on top of the engine to catch the metal shavings coming from above...there will be tons of it. Also, figure out how you are going to collect the metal shavings you will have on top of the hood once you remove the template. A vacum cleaner, strong fan, heck...even a leaf blower will work to remove these shavings. I would not recommend wipping them out or even picking them up with the california duster.

The most difficult thing is drilling that first hole..after that..you are home free.