Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Stripe Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 12:42 AM
JimC

Default RE: Stripe Thread

Mike, I like the look of the SS stripe -- just be aware that the shop that installed mine said that it was a much more difficult install than the usual dual stripes due to the compound curves on the Mustang. The hood took them a lot longer to get right they said than any of the dual stripe Mustangs they've done.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:28 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. Keep it coming....

BC,
Thanks for your input. The spoiler is stock, just black instead of MG. My only concern in stopping the stripe at the spoiler is, that I sometimes take the blackout panel off. I have "engineered" it to be easily removable. Don't know how I could sell the end of the stripe if the blackout was off....Good suggestion though, and of course I will look at that prior to install...

Jim,
I'm glad you chimed in, since you are one of the only others I have seen with the SS. I had sent you a PM a few days ago, but maybe the system glitched....Yep, color me a bit nervous about the install, but, I am really quite **** about others messing with the car. Hopefully I will have the patience for it. I think so, but we shall see. Did they comment on the other areas, or no? The other issue that I have a bit of concern with is the hood scoop. Once the stripe is on, and the scoop is reinstalled, I worry about movement of the scoop and hood, and rubbing. Rob at BSM suggested using some of the foam stuff that is used for window insulation, and not over tighten the bolts for the scoop....I am not going to reapply 3M to the scoop. Unnecessary, since it bolts on, so I think I may give this a go.....

Thanks again guys,
Mike
Old 01-18-2007, 09:40 PM
trpcthndr
1st Gear Member

Hey man,

Which blackout did you end up going with? I got the magnetic one for like $30 bucks or so b/c I wasn't sure if I'd like it. But...I love it and now I think I'm looking for something more permanent b/c I'm worried about rust if rain gets behind the magnet. I don't wanna have to worry about taking it off everytime it rains ya know? Interested where you got yours and how you made it easy to take off.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:46 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Hey Billy,
Here is what I did....
This is the panel I bought. All of 38 bucks.....

http://www.mossmustang.com/Shop/View...eIndexID=48645

The panel is made to be applied with 3M tape. What I did was went over to Lowes, and bought a roll of the magnetic tape, that is sticky backed. I applied the magnetic tape over the top of the 3M tape that came on the upper and lower edges of the panel, and then added two layers of the magnetic tape on the other two edges, so they were all of equal thickness....At this point, the panel is basically magnetic, as opposed to 3M. However, I wasn't happy with how secure it was, so, I also added four strips of velcro on the panel. On the underside of the trunk, I put the other side of the velcro. Viola. Panel sits beautifully on the tail area with the magnetic tape, attach the velcro under the trunk lid, and you are good to go. Here are some photos of the panel, and how it attaches to the car. It removes in about 10 seconds, and easily comes off for whatever....washing, waxing, just a change of look, etc.......

Mike

Back on topic, my stripes arrived today, so, if the weather cooperates, I may give it a go this weekend.....cross your fingers.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/17ED1384F6C94A7FAA5A5A25946CCA32.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/23F4E85D08FE40FE84DE690782C0B935.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/C3C6A993DCFC4B8D9C07780F8E92AEEB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/9B1281F3CC4F4E7BA1F28BE13C44D4DB.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-19-2007, 12:21 AM
JimC

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

Jim,
I'm glad you chimed in, since you are one of the only others I have seen with the SS. I had sent you a PM a few days ago, but maybe the system glitched....Yep, color me a bit nervous about the install, but, I am really quite **** about others messing with the car. Hopefully I will have the patience for it. I think so, but we shall see. Did they comment on the other areas, or no? The other issue that I have a bit of concern with is the hood scoop. Once the stripe is on, and the scoop is reinstalled, I worry about movement of the scoop and hood, and rubbing. Rob at BSM suggested using some of the foam stuff that is used for window insulation, and not over tighten the bolts for the scoop....I am not going to reapply 3M to the scoop. Unnecessary, since it bolts on, so I think I may give this a go.....

Thanks again guys,
Mike
The rear bumper license plate area was a little difficult -- I can see where it is just a little off on one side -- Rob said that others had said they also had problems with the SS stripe on the rear bumper, although he has never had a problem with it. If you aren't doing the bumpers though it sounds like the hood will be the tough part. The only part I did was the small piece over the windshield -- the installer forgot to do that one, so I took care of it one Saturday afternoon. Ifyou are doing it yourself, take your time with it -- at my wife's strong suggestion ("you don't have the patience for it so why get yourself frustrated and upset all weekend") I opted to have a "professional"do it since I was going out of town for the weekend and they could take their time with it.

I'm hoping to get enough of a break in the weather this weekend to install a Roush hood scoop. It bolts on as well, but I was planning to use the 3M tape that came with it for sealing it up, rather than holding it to the hood.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:44 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

OK, so I got the hood done this weekend. All I can say is, thank God I don't rely on striping cars to make a living....Anyway, excuse the crappy photos, but the car is dirty, obviously, since I can't wash it.....Believe it or not, it is Mineral Grey......I like this stripe with the Roush hood scoop....

Mike

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/31837E1C02D04A928861C1D14B1249D4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/CF99CD30F5E748F3B7939C2E5A0C75D5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/630857A2420046B1AB95FFE69FFAB514.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/B6BADFB7FF8843EA821281AC854E8034.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-23-2007, 12:21 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

NICE!!!! Wow it looks so good! The hood scoop really sets it off. Post more pictures!
BTW how hard was it should i pay someone or just pay for the stripes and put them on myself
It is a night and day diffrence from your avatar picture.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:37 AM
JimC

Looks great -- I like the SS stripe and Roush scoop. I put my Roush on this weekend, but haven't been able to get any good pictures yet.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:52 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Hey, thanks guys, appreciate it....

Jim,
Can't wait to see yours with the Roush installed. The black Roush on the white stripe will look killer....

s2k,
LOL.....Well, I almost gave up while installing the main 18 inch center stripe. The pinstripes are a cakewalk. The main stripe, different story.....As it is, I have one air bubble that I will probably have to needle pop, just waiting for the stripes to settle in first. I also marred up the main stripe with the squeegee somewhat, which I am hoping that some good wax will help cover.....

That being said, I would still struggle letting someone else touch it....****!!!!!

So now back to the question at hand.......Rest of the car, or hood only???? What about truck lid, with stripes disappearing under the blackout panel, without doing the roof?????

Argh...........[:@][:@]

Old 01-23-2007, 01:02 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

IMO i say you do the roof and the trunk too...it'll flow better you know

Now is this applied like tint by that i mean wetting the back and squegeein' it onto the car?

Quick Reply: Stripe Thread