Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

What about this sub-box?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 04:26 AM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What about this?...

If I were you I would do a fiberglass box on the side for 1 12". Or do one on both side for two 10" subs. To build a box from mdf can cost about 25-100$ depending on what you already have. Fiberglass can be the same way about $50-150 depending on what items you own and what tools you have. look at caraudio.com/forums
Old 05-10-2007, 10:30 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Just curious...doesn't the "thump" and "rattle" loosen things in the car? I like a good base but not when it starts making the windows, door or hood vibrate. Not only that, but too many decibels is not good for your hearing or is it legal in my state.
It is annoying when you are sitting in traffic with your windows down enjoying a conversation with a car next to you blasting away.......good thing a cop wasn't around!
Old 05-11-2007, 01:15 AM
linesma
2nd Gear Member

Bump and thump from your bass can loosen items on your car, only at about 160+ decibels. You are right that it causes damage to your hearing, but tweeters at excessive volumes are worse for your ears than the bump and thump.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:42 PM
oshkoshbajawsh
I ♥ Acer

dynamat your doors. my doors rattled with the shaker500 bad enough. with a nice setup in the trunk the 05-07 doors will have a grand mal without some dynamatting. stay away from the mtx.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:45 AM
linesma
2nd Gear Member

I agree with you, oshkoshbajawsh, about the doors having seizures with a highly amped system. I had to install Dynamat in my doors, below the rear seat, behind the rear kick panels, and the trunk after I installed my system. One question though, why stay away from MTX? I have used them for years in systems and they work really well. They are easy to match accoustically to almost any brand of speaker. I know most people do not think about that, but being a musician, I can not stand a poorly ballanced and systems that are unaccoustically matched.

One thing to remember when setting up any system, it is not the amount of wattage you use, but how you ballance it out. I have only about 800 watts powering my sub, and 6 speakers, and my system is loud and clear. I have shut down some of those "boom cars" that stop next to me at the stop lights. If anyone is interested, I can do a post about accoutically matching aftermarket speakers and ballancing a system out.

Mark
Old 05-12-2007, 06:23 PM
oshkoshbajawsh
I ♥ Acer

as far as mtx products go 1) i had a friend who blew a brand new pair mtx 10's very fast. 2) horrible customer service 3)for the price i think you can get some better looking and better sounding, but thats just my experience. i have always liked JL subs better than anyother. 1)best customer service in the world very understanding. 2) my initials are jl 3)best sounding if you ask me although im not a professional ive heard a lot of setups and JL subs are up there with the best of them. unfortunately they are pretty expensive