Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

HID Lights Question from a New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 05:58 PM
MikeyHD

Default HID Lights Question from a New Guy

I'm new to the group, so hi to everyone. Now I have a question.

Has anyone installed HID's in an 05GT? I hear there are some issues about the light controller for the relays of the HID's. I have a set that I bought and they are not designed for the 05+ Mustangs. Any comments, ideas or advice?
Old 06-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Speedyejl
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: HID Lights Question from a New Guy

There aren't really any HID kits except for OEM retrofits that are designed for specfic cars. You basically just buy a kit for the bulb your stock low beams use. There is a Saleen kit but its extremely expensive.

From what I've read the stock wiring doesn't supply enough juice to get HIDs to ignite. An easy fix is just to wire a relay system and power the ballasts off the battery.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:09 PM
MikeyHD

Yes, I have two sets now. I have already installedone seton my F-150 HD truck. They are the bi-xenon type. They have hi beams and lo beams. They do this be moving the bulb slightly to redirect the reflection. They get all of their power from the relay (powered directly from the battery)which supplies the power to the ballasts for each bulb. The Ford guy told me that they are low voltage bulbs (the factory ones), even though they say 12 volts. I don't get it and I do not want to hurt the light controller even though it is still under warranty. The hi beam and the lo beam signal to the bulbs only have to activate the relay. I would figure that the circuit would handle that type of current. I need some technical info or personal experience with this. The one good thing is that regular bulbs usually draw about 55 watts and the HID's draw about half of that.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:50 AM
Speedyejl
2nd Gear Member

Not sure what info you are looking for specifically. A kit similar to what you have on your F150 would be ideal on the stang. The only issue would be that the stock wires don’t flow enough juice to ignite the bulbs. If you run a relay circuit like your planning you’ll be golden. The stock bulbs do draw less power, but on startup to ignite the bulbs HIDs need a lot of juice. It’s a problem with retrofitting HIDs on a lot of cars.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:35 AM
MikeyHD

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Just looking for a high confidence level before I do it. Some mustang HID manuf. say the lights will blink then go out.

I was hoping to hear from some that have done the change already. I'm using the VVME set. I'll tell you what though, on my truck, I can see a stop sign or speed limit sign at night from 2-3 blocks away. They look like they are electric signs. Too cool.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:29 PM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

some people have melted the reflective coating in the stock housing from aftermarket HID due to the increased heat. The saleen ones come with new housings , which is part of the reason why they are so expensive.