Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Fender stripe install concerns

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:24 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UMich97
Hmm, those are kind of intriguing, but I'd need to see more pics and maybe some various color combos.
Hit the Corvette and Miata forums. They love fender, or "Grandsport" stripes.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:27 PM
tx-skydiver
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by socalwrench
These stripes are known as PIT STRIPES. They have been used on several cars over the years (in single or double versions). Their intended purpose is for IDENTIFICATION DURING RACING. Since there can be many cars of the same make and color, pit crew members need a way to identify their car as it runs by them at high speeds (since reading numbers can be difficult). Plus, teams may run the same paint scheme on many cars at the same event.

Many Shelby owners have begun using them as an exterior modification as a reference to the older Shelby race cars. This has also trickled down the other Mustang models as well. Probably one of the most notable cars that used them are the original Terlingua Cobra race cars. There are pictures of them on the www.shelbyautos.com website.

One last note- the use of YELLOW TAPE has been a ROOKIE MARKING for a long time. Depending on it's location and design- the yellow could be a normal pit stripe or rookie marking. For example, if the yellow vinyl stripe was positioned on the rear bumper on either side of the license plate area- it would probably be a rookie marking.

Hopefully, this clears up a few things.

I've always wondered what they were for. I knew it had to have a reason because they never made much sense to me.

Regardless - Unless you are an expert like the earlier poster, I would apply wet. You get all the benefit of being able to position it perfectly without the downside. I did my reverse C stripes with wet application. Its by far teh easiest because it floats into position. When you have it right just squeegy it and you're done.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:57 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

Well, here they are. I did the first stripe as a "dry" install and it looked terrible. I was able to salvage it and finish it as a wet install. DO THIS WET!

Old 08-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by replica
Well, here they are. I did the first stripe as a "dry" install and it looked terrible. I was able to salvage it and finish it as a wet install. DO THIS WET!

looks great ! The best thing about modifications on your car is doing it yourself. Good job, I like the look.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:54 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

nice job!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:47 PM
heartinacage
3rd Gear Member

Looks good. I was considering something like that.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:46 AM
TonyGT
2nd Gear Member

I own a sign shop, and have been installing for 15 years.. YES, if you are not a vinyl installer and do not have the tools.. DO THIS WET.. it will save you getting a new set if you mess it up.. Having said that, installing these dry can be done. I would install these dry, but knowing the tricks to do that makes the difference.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:20 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TonyGT
I own a sign shop, and have been installing for 15 years.. YES, if you are not a vinyl installer and do not have the tools.. DO THIS WET.. it will save you getting a new set if you mess it up.. Having said that, installing these dry can be done. I would install these dry, but knowing the tricks to do that makes the difference.
Thanks guys.

I didn't mean to take a shot at those recommending to do it dry. I lacked the ability to do it dry so I went wet. It's pretty tricky when actually doing it. More to think about than I had anticipated.

When in doubt, go wet!
Old 08-11-2009, 02:58 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys.

When in doubt, go wet!
Lol some vinyl shop has to make a shirt out of that
Old 08-17-2009, 10:22 AM
hoopman

There are lots of Shelby GT's and GT500's with these stripes, check out http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...howtopic=31682 lots of pics in there.