Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

new texas plate choices

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:33 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
$40 a year!? You have got to be kidding me! You wanna guess how much I pay in the Golden State? $239. Geeze I hate living here!
Omg!! $239?? I bet that is for normal plates too *faint*. Is Cali required to do emissions too? Back in Wisconsin, if you lived in the "country" counties..emissions was not required and it was $55. Not sure how much Maryland is..
Old 01-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Sorta makes your head spin, huh?
Attached Thumbnails new texas plate choices-nuke-and-nuked.jpg  
Old 01-06-2010, 10:16 AM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
Omg!! $239?? I bet that is for normal plates too *faint*. Is Cali required to do emissions too? Back in Wisconsin, if you lived in the "country" counties..emissions was not required and it was $55. Not sure how much Maryland is..
Oh Yeah! Cali is a freaking rip off! I cannot wait to move any place else. Here they have a series of levys and taxes on your registration including county taxes and so forth. I just gave you the total. To make matters worse they constantly play around with these fees to make up for their budget shortfall. The problem is the DMV fees all go into the general fund and they are redistributed and used to maintain social services for all the illegals living here. It's basically a way to redistribute wealth. They passed a new law last year that will DOUBLE the car tax for two years since we have a huge deficit ($20 billion). When I get my tags this year if it is much higher I will simply have to put it non-oporational for a couple of years. I refuse to pay $400 to register my car for one year. At least now I am much more in tune with what the state is doing to rip us off. A few years ago when I bought my 97 truck I wasn't and when I sat down at the dealer they told me my licensing fee was going to be ............................................... wait for it ................................... $500. I had no choice but to pay it or leave the truck there. The state thinks it's Robin Hood, robing from the rich to give to the poor, except I'm NOT rich! As for your question about emissions, yes. Every two years, no matter where you live in the state, you have to take your vehicle in to be tested. That's another $40 (that's the cheapest I can find) to get your car tested (plus the hassle). To show you what a rip off they are, last year I bought the wife a new car, it's the first new car we have purchased in ten years. So this year when I get the plate renewal I see a $20 emissions fee added in. So I called and asked "Why the heck am I being billed $20 for emissions on a brand new vehicle". They gave me some BS about how now everyone has to pay a $20 minimum for emissions control EVEN on NEW vehicles. That is just another BS tax.

To show you how the Legislature loves to rip us off when you buy gas at the pump there is a sales tax built into the price at the pump. That sales tax is supposed to go for road repair and maintenance. Needless to say we have the crappiest roads in the union. So every year the legislature raids that fund and uses it for other things and not road repair. So the citizens passed a law that the gasoline sales tax could only be used for road repair and NOTHING else. So the legislature turns around and says "OK, we will simply rename it and it's no longer a sales tax, now it's an excise tax and your silly law no longer applies so we can take the money for our general fund again." Can you say "Totalitarian Regime"? When the economy turns around I'm outta here!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:34 PM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

By the way-- there is a whole other section to choose from and the plus charge for pers plates is only 40.00 so that is reasonable... there are over 50 to choose from.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:41 PM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2709/...1ccf23a4_o.jpg i like this one. Now just need to make it my own...
Old 01-06-2010, 01:41 PM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

Old 01-06-2010, 03:30 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

That looks good. California plates are stupid. The personalized plates (Which I don't have) are all stupid things like save the whales, or green something or other. What ever happened to God and Country? Obviously, the Liberals in Ca don't think they matter.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:40 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
That looks good. California plates are stupid. The personalized plates (Which I don't have) are all stupid things like save the whales, or green something or other. What ever happened to God and Country? Obviously, the Liberals in Ca don't think they matter.
LOL. How about a barn and silos and its ORANGE for a Maryland plate. I'm glad I just got the plain white one with the MD seal in the middle. Green, whales and mustang don't mix very well.

Last edited by alkemist; 01-06-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:51 PM
DamnItzHenry
1st Gear Member

I thought texas does not have to renew their license plate every year
Old 01-07-2010, 05:34 AM
LAK3RS
2nd Gear Member

I couldn't get the link to work. I'd like to take a look at all the plates available. Right now, I believe I pay $100 a year for my custom plate. It's just white with blue lettering. Nothing more. Someone mentioned a black plate or something. I'd be interested in that for sure!

Quick Reply: new texas plate choices