Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Cleaning Underhood???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 12:48 AM
VistaBlue09
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TEXASGT/CS
+2^^^, I have found that swiffers work real good for the tight areas, the trick is to keep it relatively clean so you dont have to do any major cleaning, I wipe mine down after each car wash and after driving it in the rain.
I agree that the easiest thing is to just keep it clean. A few times I've used a low pressure spray to rinse it off, and maybe some lightly sprayed Simple Green only on the engine itself.

The only thing I'm careful to do is to really wrap up the CAI filter with a plastic trash bag.

Most of the time I just keep it clean with a wet wipe down after I wash the car. I never enjoyed washing a car until I got my Mustang.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:53 AM
SkyStang06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlue09
I agree that the easiest thing is to just keep it clean. A few times I've used a low pressure spray to rinse it off, and maybe some lightly sprayed Simple Green only on the engine itself.

The only thing I'm careful to do is to really wrap up the CAI filter with a plastic trash bag.

Most of the time I just keep it clean with a wet wipe down after I wash the car. I never enjoyed washing a car until I got my Mustang.
yea, I'll probably give that a shot tommrow, and hopefully post some pics.

Seems like we kinda have the same car, do you have any pics? how are u liking that bbk cai?
Old 05-07-2010, 01:06 AM
muzzy
1st Gear Member

Do some before and after photos…..I hate cleaning the engine bay seems like when I do something breaks/fails.
Thanx-Muzzy 04 S281SC Convertible #355
42#
JLT cold air
JDM SCT 93 oct tune
90mm maf
75mm TB
Ported and Polished SC by PSE
Mosaleen pulley sys
Gaterback belt
NGK tr6 @034
2.9 pulley
Chicane ss braded IC lines
Carbon fiber dash kit and shift ****
1 bottle of water wetter (haha
Old 05-07-2010, 01:11 AM
SkyStang06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by muzzy
Do some before and after photos…..I hate cleaning the engine bay seems like when I do something breaks/fails.
Thanx-Muzzy 04 S281SC Convertible #355
42#
JLT cold air
JDM SCT 93 oct tune
90mm maf
75mm TB
Ported and Polished SC by PSE
Mosaleen pulley sys
Gaterback belt
NGK tr6 @034
2.9 pulley
Chicane ss braded IC lines
Carbon fiber dash kit and shift ****
1 bottle of water wetter (haha
yes! i'll make sure to do so
Old 05-07-2010, 06:35 AM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by deekum1627
simple green works great.
I follow most of the steps listed. Like Deekum stated above simple green is GREAT!! It is not harsh like most degreesers, so if you are going to use one because you have never washed the motor use this one. I use simple green once a year, the rest is just staying on top of it, so it always looks new!!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:14 AM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

Here's a quick shot after cleaning but before adding a few dressup items.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Vader GT
I follow most of the steps listed. Like Deekum stated above simple green is GREAT!! It is not harsh like most degreesers, so if you are going to use one because you have never washed the motor use this one. I use simple green once a year, the rest is just staying on top of it, so it always looks new!!

Could you go back over the areas you put the simple green on with a wet rag INSTEAD of hosing her down?
I just dont like the idea of water all over my engine.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:33 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by TEXASGT/CS
+2^^^, I have found that swiffers work real good for the tight areas, the trick is to keep it relatively clean so you dont have to do any major cleaning, I wipe mine down after each car wash and after driving it in the rain.
3+
Old 05-07-2010, 05:53 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by SkyStang06
WOW, you have 135,000+ on ur S197? hows it holding up in the long run like that? i have just about 42,000...what year is yours?
Originally Posted by night7519
I hear ya JimC. Mine goes through rain sleet and snow as well, hopefully no hail but everything else. Makes it a bit more of challenge to keep the engine bay looking nice for sure.

-Jim
SkyStang - I have a 2006 and my commute is 45 miles one way. Car is holding up great, very few problems and runs very strong. I put the Xcharger on it at 90,000 miles and put down 278 to the rear wheels on the most recent dyno pass. Before the supercharger I had nitrous on it and made many track passes on the 75 shot.

And night, you are right, when you drive through rain and snow the engine bay will get very dirty. If the car only had 30,000 miles on it and was never driven in rain and snow it might be a different story about whether the engine bay needs regular cleaning - different story when you have a car that you bought to drive and do so!
Old 05-08-2010, 03:18 AM
SkyStang06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
SkyStang - I have a 2006 and my commute is 45 miles one way. Car is holding up great, very few problems and runs very strong. I put the Xcharger on it at 90,000 miles and put down 278 to the rear wheels on the most recent dyno pass. Before the supercharger I had nitrous on it and made many track passes on the 75 shot.

And night, you are right, when you drive through rain and snow the engine bay will get very dirty. If the car only had 30,000 miles on it and was never driven in rain and snow it might be a different story about whether the engine bay needs regular cleaning - different story when you have a car that you bought to drive and do so!
Thats very good to hear that the stang is treating you right after so long! How has the v6 handled the xcharger?

Quick Reply: Cleaning Underhood???