Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Paint: Alternatives to Black

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 05:10 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default Paint: Alternatives to Black

Hey guys,

As some of you may know Ford's black is horrendous. Maybe someone knows of a good alternative to still keep it "black-like" but with a higher quality, and hopefully more durable finish. Metallic is one that comes up to mine as far as looks, I know on the Sonic Blue Mustangs the paint seemed much better looking than my Black Clearcoat ever did.

Though as far as Black Metallic looking nice, I haven't seen it in person. So like I said, anyone have any suggestions?

Also, for this type of paint and job... how much does one expect the out the door cost to be? I do have a few minor dings I'd like repaired and are very small. Not sure how much that is going to raise the price.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2010, 06:11 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Not to start a war but what makes you state the black is poo. My 09 black looks 10/10 mind you I have not seen the 06's in black. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:54 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Quality has never been good in my opinion. Young and dumb I guess I overlooked the fact until I started detailing it by hand and comparing it to other colors did I realize how horrible it was.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:51 AM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
Quality has never been good in my opinion. Young and dumb I guess I overlooked the fact until I started detailing it by hand and comparing it to other colors did I realize how horrible it was.
It's not just Ford's black, it's any black paintjob. Black is a PITA because it's hard to keep clean and it will show marks, inperfections, and swirls very easily.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:15 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Guys, I have a Black 06 and yes, is a PITA to keep that clean. But when I purchased the stang I knew what I was getting into and prepared accordingly. Meaning that I bought plenty of microfiber towels, the best carnuba wax on the market and ensured I did not screw up the paint when washing. I have absolutely no swirls or other marks. Get lots of compliments at car shows. Check out a few pics (more in my album) of the stang:

Old 07-11-2010, 10:28 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

A friend who did body work and painted cars said black was the hardest color to paint. He said it showed all the imperfections in the body itself. Like if you have a small dent or crease, it shows up like a sore thumb.
I did have him repaint my '82 Black Mustang 5.0. He did an outstanding job. I kept that car pretty much as a garage queen until I sold it to a car collector 5 years ago. I must say I almost sold it for what I paid for it.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:41 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

How about keeping the black or half of it and go 2 tone. My car was torchred and got 2 toned. Pics are recent, but car is going through rebuild, so has not been clean in months.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:53 AM
torweedeater

RED......the pant of sexiness...i got D3 : torch red and it is the ****

Last edited by torweedeater; 07-11-2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: front view
Old 07-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
How about keeping the black or half of it and go 2 tone. My car was torchred and got 2 toned. Pics are recent, but car is going through rebuild, so has not been clean in months.

Beautiful Car Steve. I often thought of the two tone scheme, but I just love the look of a solid white or black car. It would be ideal to change the color to white and when I get around to deciding to paint it or not (also going to require getting some new body components so it can all be done at once) i'll ask and see how much it'll cost to change to white.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TPony
Guys, I have a Black 06 and yes, is a PITA to keep that clean. But when I purchased the stang I knew what I was getting into and prepared accordingly. Meaning that I bought plenty of microfiber towels, the best carnuba wax on the market and ensured I did not screw up the paint when washing. I have absolutely no swirls or other marks. Get lots of compliments at car shows. Check out a few pics (more in my album) of the stang:

Hey TPony, maybe it's just my inexperience with a black vehicle.. or maybe it's the fact that the next day I owned the car I took it to a sunny parking lot to take pictures and saw swirls galore. I dunno. Just hoping to not only keep the color (if it's not logical to change colors) and get more of a durable finish, maybe a couple coats of clear on top of it all. I dunno.

Quick Reply: Paint: Alternatives to Black