Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's
Old 10-22-2015, 03:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Any recomendations on how to clean serious dirt off of vinyl stripes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 11:02 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Default Any recomendations on how to clean serious dirt off of vinyl stripes?

My dad's 09 GT/CS has some nice white vinyl stripes, but he doesn't keep up his car very well. If he ever washes it, he just goes through the car wash, and because it is a convertible, he can't even get the "premium" washes. I don't think he has ever even waxed it. Anyways, he gave me a couple bucks to wash and wax his car today, and I noticed that there was an extremely alarming amount of crap on his stripes. The rest of his car, not so much, but his stripes are in pretty bad shape. Since he doesn't clean it very often, the dirt was really stuck on well. I couldn't get some of it off, and it annoyed me, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:13 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

auto washes suck. I'd be willing to bet that if you were to strip the wax from the car wash off them you'd remove 90% of the dirt as well. It just waxes over the filthy water that it washes the car with.

I'd soak/ scrub 'em good (not too hard obviously but repeatedly) with some dawn liquid soap and water and get all the wax off, then see what you're left with.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:50 AM
whyask
3rd Gear Member

are the a flat matte color or shiny ......?
Old 08-29-2010, 04:34 AM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like the car needs a good detail job. You can purchase a clay bar kit, I have been using the Ice products from Turtle Wax. Start with a quick wash to get any loose dirt off the paint. Then use the liquid clay wash and wash it again. This stuff is mildly aggressive and will remove 90% of road grime, tree sap, etc. Then use the clay bar to really get it smooth. Spray small sections with the clay bar lubricant and gently rub the clay bar over the surface. The clay bar is kinda like hard modeling clay and you will have to periodically knead it and flatten it out. It takes about 3-4 rubs and you will feel the surface of the paint go from feeling sticky to wet glass. That's the best I can describe it. It's pretty cool! You'll see what I mean if you try it. Just be careful around the edges of the vinyl stripes. I have them too and found that it worked best not to rub towards the stripes because it felt like it might lift the edge. I also use the Ice synthetic polish after that, as the paint is totally stripped down to the clear coat and needs some protection. It's pretty good stuff. I know after I did my car (black, ugh) it totally looked wet even when it was dry. Hope that helps, go take care of that stang!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:30 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

@MOOK
The stripes have never been waxed. I was going to wax them yesterday but I didn't want to seal the dirt in. I will try the dish soap if he gives me the ok though.

@ why
They are shiny, vinyl.

@ Ford
Thanks! I have been wanting to get a clay bar for my car, but after washing his, I see it definatly needs it more.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Stormracer
1st Gear Member

Default Try Magic Eraser!

I would initially "lightly" try a Magic Eraser since it works well for white or light leather and other interior items.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:34 PM
jchambers
1st Gear Member

If Im not mistaken, BSM recommends orange Fantastik. Below is a quote from there site. Hope it is ok to copy paste.

"You can also spot-clean the stripes with orange cleaner and paper towels (we use Fantastik) Orange wipes do not seem to work, oddly enough.... "
From baltimore street mods website
Old 08-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Be gentle with the Clay bar.
Do not press down hard and have the dirt and crap scratch into the vinyl.

Orange citrus spray is good.
Soap and water is good.

Maybe even go over them with a California Duster before you wash them.
Oh and the BEST stuff to protect your vinyl in my opinion is 303 Aerospace Protectant.
You have to order it but it will make the vinyl last MUCH longer.