Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Fog lamps / Turn signals matching

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:26 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Fog lamps / Turn signals matching

Hey Guys,

I recently changed my turn signals to switchback LEDs, which are awesome! However, the "white" color they emit is more like an off-white with a blue haze. I want to get as close as I can to matching the light color with my fog lamps. See pictures below. (Headlights are HID, pure white, so disregard those in the pictures)

I called an auto parts store and they said the Sylvania Silverstars (h11stbp or 9145stbp) have a blue light to them, but they would not let me return them if they did not match correctly, even if I tried them in the parking lot. So before I spend the money on these bulbs, I wanted to see is anyone had them installed and can share an image of the color, or if they have a suggestion of another kind of bulb to buy. I would rather be on more of the white side than the blue side.

I mostly use the fog lamps as my daytime lamps and for city driving.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Fog lamps / Turn signals matching-2011-05-28-18.01.52.jpg   Fog lamps / Turn signals matching-2011-05-28-18.01.44.jpg  
Old 05-28-2011, 10:20 PM
project85
3rd Gear Member

get some 6000k temp HIDs! white with a hint of blue.. itll match close enough

Old 05-28-2011, 11:01 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by project85
get some 6000k temp HIDs! white with a hint of blue.. itll match close enough

I have thought about it, but I really don't want to spend money on another conversion kit if I can help it.

I was possibly thinking of something like this...(http://www.buyheadlightbulbs.com/Lum....html)....what do you think?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:32 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
Hey Guys,

I recently changed my turn signals to switchback LEDs, which are awesome! However, the "white" color they emit is more like an off-white with a blue haze. I want to get as close as I can to matching the light color with my fog lamps. See pictures below. (Headlights are HID, pure white, so disregard those in the pictures)

I called an auto parts store and they said the Sylvania Silverstars (h11stbp or 9145stbp) have a blue light to them, but they would not let me return them if they did not match correctly, even if I tried them in the parking lot. So before I spend the money on these bulbs, I wanted to see is anyone had them installed and can share an image of the color, or if they have a suggestion of another kind of bulb to buy. I would rather be on more of the white side than the blue side.

I mostly use the fog lamps as my daytime lamps and for city driving.

Thanks.
If you never use your fog lights during foggy days then get these...
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/D...52845-2-2.html

I have something similar except mine are switchbacks.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:09 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

For whatever reason you want to go with the color lamps that have NO use in dark, foul weather, then you want something in the 5000K or higher range. The SilverStars are 4000K. Fog lights will provide much better contrast and visibility in the 3000K-2500K range. anything over 4000K for fogs are useless in bad weather but if you want your purse to match your shoes, have at it.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:05 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
For whatever reason you want to go with the color lamps that have NO use in dark, foul weather, then you want something in the 5000K or higher range. The SilverStars are 4000K. Fog lights will provide much better contrast and visibility in the 3000K-2500K range. anything over 4000K for fogs are useless in bad weather but if you want your purse to match your shoes, have at it.
Nuke, thanks for your concern. I have had the car for 2 years now (I have been driving for 8 years prior to that) and I can count the number of times I actually needed fog lamps on any car on one hand. So I am not really that worried about it.

Plus, I am not going for the Euro blue headlight look, just get close to my turn-signals. I do most of my driving in town, where they have street lights, tons of other cars, buildings, signs, and advertisements, all of which emit light. And when their powers combine, you don't even need lights on.

So the fog lamps are mostly just a daytime lamp. I have Pure white HIDs for my headlamps, so when I do drive in areas where there is no light, I will be able to see spectacularly.

However, I do appreciate your info on the K ranges. And yes, it is more of a cosmetic thing. I think it looks odd when you have yellow-ish fog lamps with the white/blue-ish turn signals.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:12 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Sorry, I tend to get a bit skewed on this subject. I do use my fogs in bad weather on ALL of my vehicles and have had instances where I'd have left the road had it not been for the 2500K lamps. I understand the desire for cosmetic but not the need to look like something out of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". I suppose functionality over cosmetics comes with age.

If you can find out the make/model of your turn signal lamps you should be able to obtain their temperature rating so you can match them.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:58 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Ya, I understand not wanting to mod your car so that it looks like a spaceship. And the need for usability. That is one reason why I installed HIDs into my headlights, as I thought the stocks were terrible. And I didn't want some off color, I wanted the brightest white I could find that would illuminate the road. Not some blue or violet color headlight.

When I bought the switchback, they told me they were white. But apparently, this is as white as the switchback get. The original plan was to have pure white for all three (headlight, fogs and turn-signals), but as life would have it...it just didn't work out.

So I am aim to make the turn-signals and fogs match as much as possible without going to overboard with the color as they are not really helping me illuminate the road at this time anyway.