Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

GT parts question....Is it poserish?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MadStang40
Put whichever "GT" parts you want to on your car, just for the love of God, don't badge it as a GT. A lot of people don't know much about mustangs so if you put in the GT front fascia, a few may get fooled, but those who have a history (or obsession) with mustangs should know. If not, shame on them.

I know of a college student around here with a v6 sonic blue that put all sorts of cobra badges on his car, along with a cobra front bumper and gt rear. The bumpers would have looked great, but the fact that he badged it as a cobra and then put cheap, crappy square blue lights in the grill just made it go all to hell. When I see people do that, I think 1) Poser and 2) It's guaranteed that they have 0 performance parts.

Grab a spoiler, some GT fogs, a GT rear, some stock GT wheels, and you're car will look great without looking poserish. And if someone claims you are a poser, refer them to me.
^^ what he said
Old 05-31-2011, 12:14 AM
lunyou
2nd Gear Member

Here is a secondary yet valid question spurring from the OPs question.

What makes a GT a GT? Is it the V8? The HP that comes from the V8? The little addons that come with the GT?

Here is a more to the point way of asking it. I buy a V6 and drop some major coin and put an x-charger and enough goodies on it to boost the power past the stock V8's output. What is to say my car isn't a GT? Granted if I bought a v6 and did that I would want to roll up to the stoplight and complete my sleeper persona but in theory if the car is outrunning and out powering a GT would it be acceptable to badge it as such?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:46 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lunyou

What makes a GT a GT? Is it the V8? The HP that comes from the V8? The little addons that come with the GT?

Here is a more to the point way of asking it. I buy a V6 and drop some major coin and put an x-charger and enough goodies on it to boost the power past the stock V8's output. What is to say my car isn't a GT? Granted if I bought a v6 and did that I would want to roll up to the stoplight and complete my sleeper persona but in theory if the car is outrunning and out powering a GT would it be acceptable to badge it as such?
It is what it is when it rolls off the assembly line, the straight mustang (v6) the GT (V8-4.6 or 5.0), and GT500 (V8-5.4L).

I've got a GT even though it may outperform a stock GT500 because it rolled off the assembly line as a GT with a 4.6L V8.
In the end it's your car, do what you want to do to it, but I wouldn't rebadge it up a level
Old 05-31-2011, 02:09 AM
lunyou
2nd Gear Member

Believe me I like taking badges off. I think a car should speak for itself. The distinct front end of the Shelby mustangs(as well as the dust your eating if you pull up on one) the rumble of the V8 etc all speak louder than the badges. Kind of like "if you can walk the walk, who needs to talk".

We just took the side rocker panel stripes off the wife's V6. She likes it and I'm really happy as I hated the rocker stripes.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:19 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

its your ride.. make it look how you want it to look..

but in my opinion.. yes, don't GT badge it.. or Shelby/Cobra Badge it.. but i've seen v6s with cobra stuff and it was done correctly, it didn't look bad.. but it had a supercharged v6 with less HP than a standard GT.. but it "looked" good.. which i assume is what the owner wanted without $60k worth of payments.. and we can't fault somebody for being realistic with their money..
Old 05-31-2011, 07:23 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lunyou

It's your car, and you can do whatever pleases you, but you could have 1000HP, it still doesn't make your car a specific model that it never was, and you can expect to get negative reactions for badging it as such.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:27 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
It's your car, and you can do whatever pleases you, but you could have 1000HP, it still doesn't make your car a specific model that it never was, and you can expect to get negative reactions for badging it as such.
+1

heck.. i've removed every "GT" logoing from my car completely.. i TRIED to get the front quarters without them when i ordered it.. i had my salesguy call the factory.. but Ford wouldn't do it.. i was like.. you do it for the bullitts, you do it for the v6s.. COME ON..
Old 05-31-2011, 07:37 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

If using parts from other models was posing, in the grand scheme of things, we'd be all posers, lol.
I be posing for a 69/70 Mach1 or Shelby, Torchvert would be a wanna be Parnelli Jones and so on...
Old 05-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I have OE GT500 takeoff wheels on my Stang and don't consider myself a poser. IMO, it's the badging that makes me think "poser!".
Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
If using parts from other models was posing, in the grand scheme of things, we'd be all posers, lol.
I be posing for a 69/70 Mach1 or Shelby, Torchvert would be a wanna be Parnelli Jones and so on...
I guess I'd be some kind of GT500/GT/GT/CS mutt

Quick Reply: GT parts question....Is it poserish?