Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Need Advice - G2 Caliper paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Sully06GT
1st Gear Member

Default Need Advice - G2 Caliper paint

I'd like to complete this mod when the weather warms up. Any advice on doing the job without a full lift or jack stands?....or are at least 2 jack stands an absolute must? I'm assuming the only issue I might have is completing the job within the time allowed to work with the product after mixing.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:21 AM
WildAzCat
2nd Gear Member

Note how long the directed drying time is before you re-install your wheels. If you use only two stands then I guess the paint in the can maybe drying by the time you get around to the other two. Really your best best bet is getting all four tires off at the same time. I used four jack stands and removed all four tires at once. It proved to be a good idea. It take a little time to prep the caliper. The more time you spend cleaning the longer your paint will stay on. Mine have been on for almost three years and are now showing a few chips. If you're not going to remove the calipers you'll have to take the time to mask off the areas you don't want paint on. Once you do that the painting goes quick. As you know the paint is quick drying so being able to coat them without delay is best. I found that I was able to do several coat with one can. Best wishes

Last edited by WildAzCat; 02-25-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:57 PM
UMich97
2nd Gear Member

If you have a friend nearby that wants to do the same thing, you could do what I did...

I lifted one end of each car, painted the calipers on Saturday, then lifted the other ends on Sunday and used a second can of G2 to paint the remaining calipers. I just didn't like the idea of trying to get the car up on all fours with the chin spoilers, etc.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:01 PM
JimC

You need all 4 wheels off the ground to get it done (unless you are doing 2 cars like UMich97 - but even then you still need 4 jack stands). Once you start painting you have to use the mixed paint within the allotted time frame or it will harden up on you. I found that starting at one corner and working my way around by the time I finished caliper #4 it was almost time to do the second or third coat on #1.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

I used duplicolors kit and took my sweet @$$ time with 3 coats each caliper and it looks great. But it did take about half a warm summer day so it's not a quicky job. Also the brighter you go the worse they look dirty.. Food for thought.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:37 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rylay
I used duplicolors kit and took my sweet @$$ time with 3 coats each caliper and it looks great. But it did take about half a warm summer day so it's not a quicky job. Also the brighter you go the worse they look dirty.. Food for thought.
I agree completely. I did duplicolor red with 4 coats on each. I replaced the brakes/rotors at the same time so the 4th coat was to clean up my mess from reassembling the brakes/rotors.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
You need all 4 wheels off the ground to get it done (unless you are doing 2 cars like UMich97 - but even then you still need 4 jack stands). Once you start painting you have to use the mixed paint within the allotted time frame or it will harden up on you. I found that starting at one corner and working my way around by the time I finished caliper #4 it was almost time to do the second or third coat on #1.
See I disagree with the need part. You can do 2 wheels at a time with multiple coats then put the tires on when they are tacky and let them sit
Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 PM
JimC

If you put the wheels back on when the G2 is tacky you run the risk of screwing up the G2, you really need to let it sit for 24 hours before mounting the wheels.

And, if you wait until the G2 is tacky on the calipers then your mixed G2 will be tacky and hard to spread on the remaining calipers. Once it starts to harden it isn't easy to paint it on the calipers.

The G2 isn't like the Duplicolor paint. It flows and fills in areas and sets up almost like a powder coat (not the same, but along that idea for how it goes on the caliper). You only have a limited window of time to work with the G2. The G2 is great stuff and warrantied for life - if you nick it or it flakes, you send them the pictures with a copy of your receipt and they will send you a new kit. When the white chipped changing tires I asked them if I could change to black because the white was so tough to keep clean and they said no problem and shipped it right out.

Last edited by JimC; 02-27-2012 at 08:31 PM.