Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

08 GT Front End Make Over

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:31 PM
rocky321
2nd Gear Member

Default 08 GT Front End Make Over

Black GT. I'm replacing the stock headlights with the black Raxiom Retro Style and the grille with the black Billet upper fog light delete from AM. I want to keep fog lights, but relocated off the grille. Not changing the front bumper, so my choices are;

Clear or smoked turn lens with the white/amber switchback 3157 leds OR

Mount aftermarkets in the lower grille and use the exsisting wiring.

I respect your opinions and would appreciate some. Pics would be great too! Thanks
Old 04-13-2012, 01:02 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

This is a double post, maybe a mod can delete the other one you made.

Before you get the billet grille from AM, let me throw in my 2 cents.

I got the billet grille like you are talking about and I actually just purchased the hidden fog light kit which includes a grill, brackets to mount the fog lights behind it, and a horn relocation bracket.

The grille by itself is much cheaper.

Some other things to note:

The grille from AM does not take the original line of the OEM plastic grill. If there are marks on your front fascia from the plastic one being installed for years then they are gonna show.

If you ever wanted to mount your fog lights behind the grille from AM, you are gonna need spacers to push it out toward the front. Even with pushing it forward as far as it can go, you are gonna have one hell of a time getting the fogs behind it and mounted securely, trust me, been there and tried it and failed.

Also, the paint job on my grille from AM has numerous runs in it that are visible because they are on the very front face of the grille.

Also consider that the one from DG is like $110 and the one from AM is $150.

If you are still set on the one from AM, let me know if you want to buy a used one. I got one I am trying to sell =P.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:55 PM
rocky321
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gmoran1469
This is a double post, maybe a mod can delete the other one you made.

Before you get the billet grille from AM, let me throw in my 2 cents.

I got the billet grille like you are talking about and I actually just purchased the hidden fog light kit which includes a grill, brackets to mount the fog lights behind it, and a horn relocation bracket.

The grille by itself is much cheaper.

Some other things to note:

The grille from AM does not take the original line of the OEM plastic grill. If there are marks on your front fascia from the plastic one being installed for years then they are gonna show.

If you ever wanted to mount your fog lights behind the grille from AM, you are gonna need spacers to push it out toward the front. Even with pushing it forward as far as it can go, you are gonna have one hell of a time getting the fogs behind it and mounted securely, trust me, been there and tried it and failed.

Also, the paint job on my grille from AM has numerous runs in it that are visible because they are on the very front face of the grille.

Also consider that the one from DG is like $110 and the one from AM is $150.

If you are still set on the one from AM, let me know if you want to buy a used one. I got one I am trying to sell =P.
Sorry about the double post. Well, you just burst my bubble. I got the grille yesterday from AM (still boxed) and found DG after the fact. I did a side by side comparsion of the 2 grilles and they look pretty dam close in style. They sit in the same opening. I don't see how the DG grille hides wear marks of the facia and the AM one won't?? Are you sure this isn't just sour grapes with AM?? Anyone else have the same experience??

Last edited by rocky321; 04-13-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:46 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

The AM grille is angled, with straight faces, like this:

The DG Custom from what I can tell (still waiting on mine to arrive) is rounded like this:

If you look at the lower lip of your OEM grill, it is rounded and doesn't come to as sharp a point. When I took mine off there was built up crud that I could never completely get rid of.

The DG Custom grill also sits as far forward at the edges as it possibly can, with the stock AM mounts the AM grill sits about .5-.75" in towards the engine. You can add spacers to make it pop out more but I tried and IMO it's not a clean look as it's designed to sit sunk in a little bit.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:28 PM
rocky321
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gmoran1469
The AM grille is angled, with straight faces, like this:

The DG Custom from what I can tell (still waiting on mine to arrive) is rounded like this:

If you look at the lower lip of your OEM grill, it is rounded and doesn't come to as sharp a point. When I took mine off there was built up crud that I could never completely get rid of.

The DG Custom grill also sits as far forward at the edges as it possibly can, with the stock AM mounts the AM grill sits about .5-.75" in towards the engine. You can add spacers to make it pop out more but I tried and IMO it's not a clean look as it's designed to sit sunk in a little bit.
OK makes perfect sense. I already have the AM grille and I hate returning things if they are not damaged. Hopefully the grud is minimal. And honestly, the OEM fogs, behind the grille, is still visible and I'm trying to delete that bug eyed look anyway. Thanks for the info though.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I also have the AM grille. I have had it a little over a year and all of the paint has come off. Pretty disappointing since AM has strived to have such a good reputation with the mustang community.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:00 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

the dg custom grill is great +1
Old 04-14-2012, 02:03 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

Old 04-16-2012, 07:23 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
I also have the AM grille. I have had it a little over a year and all of the paint has come off. Pretty disappointing since AM has strived to have such a good reputation with the mustang community.
Yeah, unfortunately from what I have seen and experienced with them, they don't. They just try their best to cover up their mess-ups with as little impact to AM as possible. The products shouldn't be so shoddy in the first place.