Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not happy w/my Dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 01:13 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Not happy w/my Dyno numbers

I dunno about accuracy of chassis dynos, read a lot of discussion on other forums last year about which is better/which is more accurate...biggest variable to me still would be tire pressure- I would think overpressured tires would not conform to the rollers as much, and suck a lot less hp...I'd asked a couple guys 'next time try max air pressure', never heard any reply though. Ive only seen one chassisdyno setup, and the car was winched down so tight I was afraid the tires were gonna blow...distorting tread in reverse radius at high speed/load looked kinda like asking for trouble to me...the bigger radius single roller would flex tires less than the smaller dual roller types- or so I'd think...

you know, just thinking about this again...I think we've all seen the little dash mounted accelerometers out there...WHAT IF we went one better- read mph from a front abs sensor(maybe a front and a rear to monitor slippage), measure accurate front tire circumference, weigh the car, start recording time/speed on a laptop or something, and calculate NET HP by raw real world acceleration. I think this could be more accurate than the accelerometer based units, and less apt to be influenced by tweaks of the dyno guys...no more traction issues, tire deformation issues, etc...if youre spinning youre not 'putting down' any hp anyway- the real hp is what accelerates the car, and the abs sensor wont lie...I saw a thing from huston instruments or somewhere last week for a cheep usb DAQ device...might need to pick one up and try to pick up some signals
Would be cool if we could all have a accurate 30.00 plug in device for our laptops, with shared source code that could be evolved to give tons of real world HP info and have everyone on the same page wouldnt it? hmm...then we'd all need to find a set of scales(our cars gotta weigh within a couple hundred pounds...)