Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new Eibach Pro Kit + Speed Bump Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Outatime
2nd Gear Member

Default new Eibach Pro Kit + Speed Bump Problem!

Hello all

Just recently had my car lowered using the Eibach Pro Kit and I love it, looks better, feels better just perfect BUT I recently found I was catching something underneath the car on speed bumps, I try to avoid the bumps but I use my car for work and I just can't avoid them and I really don't want to damage my car but unless I can figure out something I might have to put the standard springs back in

I went over a couple of bumps fine whilst in Lakeland FL on the weekend but then some just caught and made a hell of a noise. I was followed home by some friends and they said you could see the problem it was the exhust pipes as they are really low now. See attached pics.

Can anyone please suggest anything to solve the problem or work I could have done? This is my first ever lowered car so please be gental!

Thank you

Stuart
Old 03-08-2006, 05:15 PM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: new Eibach Pro Kit + Speed Bump Problem!

What size tires you have? Stock shocks? Is it just hitting after the front wheels go over, or is it dragging the length of the pipe?

My first thought is your tires are smaller diameter than stock (26-27") which will lower your car more. This would effect it whether it's hitting or dragging on the pipes. Then, if you have stock shocks, there will be more travel allowed when the weight comes down after the bump. That would really only matter if it's just a hit and not a drag.

My last car, even with a really stiff suspension lowered about 1.75", if I didn't creep over every speedbump, I would hit the frame on the bump. Very unpleasant for sure. If I went slow, it was not a problem though.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Outatime
2nd Gear Member

Hello Grasshopper

Thank you for your reply, yes stock shocks, and wheels are 18". What happens is I go over with both wheels and all is fine then I hear a quick scrape and its got to be that exhust pipe near the rear now I think about it, don't think going slow over the bump would help as its going to catch it, I was suggested to take one wheel over at a time but that doesnt make any difference as its not at the front thats being caught!
Old 03-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Outatime
2nd Gear Member

Anyone have any ideas that might help me with this please!

Thank you.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:55 AM
1fast05GT
3rd Gear Member

Outatime, you don't have a choice with the pro kit unless you go with larger diameter tires. I used the sportline and have no issues.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Big Red
2nd Gear Member

My ex-girlfriend's (*****) corolla used to scrape bottom every time she went over a speed bump as well, it wasnt lowered or anything, it was just a piece of crap Toyota. Anyways one way I was able to help her avoid that was to have her veer all the way to the right when approaching a speed bump and let the passenger side tires miss the bump and only let the drivers side tires go over it, that got rid of the problem most of the time for her.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:07 PM
KiLLeR_WoMBaT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Big Red

My ex-girlfriend's (*****) corolla ....
Ha Ha Ha...that's too funny!
Old 03-09-2006, 05:43 PM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

I think the speedbumps around you are just too big. [:'(] Your pipes are barely hanging down past the chassis, and if you're using 255/45-18 or 285/40-18 tires, they are only lowering the car 1/8" or so. There should be plenty of room for any reasonable bumps.

The only thing I can think of is maybe see if you can have the exhaust clamps adjusted or alter the middle hangers to try and pin the exhaust up higher. If that fails, then you'll have to get larger tires in the rear like 1fast stated.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:10 PM
girliemustang
1st Gear Member

Well that sucks... I lowered mine using the pro kit and have had no problems and I have 18's also. Maybe you need to adjust the thingies that hold the exhaust higher. I can go over speed bumps. Now my husband is a whole different story, took my car to this place to get the alignment and it is in a very old parking lot and when he went to pull in he scraped the front bumper, underneath. He said he didn't realize the way the street and parking lot met was angled so much. It was like a 5 inch scar. He is not allowed to drive my car any longer.. men... geeezzzzz. Good luck and watch your speed over the bumps. That might help..

girliemustang

[IMG]local://upfiles/26135/8A6E8F78539D48B1B668B368D6FF7427.jpg[/IMG]