Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS/Traction Control Sensor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 04:35 PM
MattyJ
2nd Gear Member

Default ABS/Traction Control Sensor Problem

Alright guys, I've got a whopper here for you. So I had posted a problem a few months back about a rattling/scraping sound in the back of my car that occurred when I had other people in the car. So I brought it to the dealer and they said they could find no problem with it. The sound continued, so I brought it back a second time and went for a test drive with the tech. Right away, he said “heat shield” and proceeded to replace the heat shield for the exhaust. Problem solved, right? Wrong! The sound was still there, so I brought it back a third time. This time, the technician didn’t give any guess to what it was initially, but later found it to be the e-brake cable rubbing against the drive shaft (eek!).

So I figured my troubles were over. When I went to pick it up, I started the car and all of the indicator lights on the dash lit up. But where they usually turn off after a few seconds, the ABS, traction control, and Brake light stayed on, and the traction control button was indicating system off. So, I turned off the engine, waited a minute and started it again. Same thing. I went back in, told them about it, and of course nobody could look at it that day. So the next day (today) they call me and tell me they could find nothing wrong and that it was working fine. I grilled them a bit, cause I know I don’t have dementia. But alas, I went to pick it up. Start the engine again, same problem… I’m about to snap at this point. But I leave it running, go inside, and get them to come out and take the codes off of it. Lo and behold, the module isn’t communicating. So once again, nobody can look at it today, so I have to wait another day for this. And my guess is that it won’t be ready tomorrow either, the schmucks…

Personally, I think something got disconnected or compromised while they were working on the other thing, but they don’t want to admit it. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. They blamed it on water getting inside a connector. On a bright, 70 degree, clear-sky day, water got inside a place it never got into during pouring rainstorms and driving through slushy mixtures. And it coincidentally happened the same time they were poking around in the undercarriage of my car? Something doesn’t smell right here…

Anyway, now that I’ve finished my rant, has anyone had this problem before and/or can offer any advice?
Old 03-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: ABS/Traction Control Sensor Problem

Ford Dealerships...

Ya gotta Hate them!
Old 03-14-2006, 08:59 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

I'd just HAVE to take a peek under myself, along with a digital camera...I'd lay odds also they knocked something loose- I dont trust most dealerships, mostly because 4 out of 5 trips Ive made in the past were bad deals...luckily the mustang hasnt needed anything yet.

maybe a coincidental connection problem, but it sure smells fishy. I'd insist on seeing what they find before removing anything, and if they smashed a cable or something, I'm the kind of guy that would write to ford and tell them to backbill for any warranty claim if one comes in. When I bough my 93 f150, they offered the old free oilchange if I let them fill out my survey...instead I changed my own oil and let ford know about their offer, and the truth about the 'deal' I got...guess the service offer was made after they forgot they wrecked my truck AFTER I bought it, and wouldnt have told me ('wont be ready till tomorrow') except I stopped by to find out what was wrong...to see a guy sanding bondo off my bed/tailgate... what we know wont hurt us right??? friggin dealers.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:16 AM
black_knight

I know this is an old thread....but I happened to have this issue happen to me today (while just randomely driving) Both my abs light and traction control "off" light came on.... and they wont' go off. any ideas on this? I'm going to call the dealer if it's still there tomorrow, but wanted to get opinions/advice before I call the dealership.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:26 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

just a guess, but bet a wheel speed sensor failed...one on front of wifes windstar whacked out when stopping on a bumpy road, and took like 100 feet to stop from 15-20 mph...almost hit car in front of me...

any chance youve done axlebacks recently? perhaps muffler rubbing on a wire to the wheel speed sensor or something? in any event, if it goes out again, turn off traction control before driving- in case intermittent signal like on my wifes car makes ABS stand for 'anti-brake-system'...hers had done it several times, yet seemed ok- till the day on the bumpy road when it decided to do it while I was actually braking and it decided otherwise...I'd get it to dealer ASAP.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:31 AM
black_knight

ORIGINAL: ford4v429

just a guess, but bet a wheel speed sensor failed...one on front of wifes windstar whacked out when stopping on a bumpy road, and took like 100 feet to stop from 15-20 mph...almost hit car in front of me...

any chance youve done axlebacks recently? perhaps muffler rubbing on a wire to the wheel speed sensor or something? in any event, if it goes out again, turn off traction control before driving- in case intermittent signal like on my wifes car makes ABS stand for 'anti-brake-system'...hers had done it several times, yet seemed ok- till the day on the bumpy road when it decided to do it while I was actually braking and it decided otherwise...I'd get it to dealer ASAP.

I'll call the dealer.....didn't notice any actual changes in performance...brakes are fine. the only thing that might have cause any of this is I took a couple speed bumps "slightly" faster than normal...nothing major, didn't bottom out or noth'n. Other than that, no mods whatsoever. (yet...)
Old 07-10-2006, 05:48 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

I reported about this a while back also.
Mine happen quite often in the winter time when I spin the tires often and for long periods of time. (it's like traction control just gives in and says OK if your going to force me to drive like a moron (me lol) I'll let you) Hasn't happened during the summer no matter how I drive. I will inform you of this each time it happens I could shut the car down for a few minutes and it would reset. FYI you have NO anti lock brakes or traction control features when those lights are lit on your speedo! (incase it's slippery)

05SDI