Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice fast!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 03:50 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need advice fast!!!

I'm told that you can drive the car a reasonal distance home with no plates with title in hand leaglly (sp). Call and ask local police to verify.
WC
Old 03-25-2006, 03:56 PM
skillful
2nd Gear Member

NO PERSONAL CHECKS!!!!!!!!! He can go to a bank and get a cashiers check!!
Contract---Thats can be the title---says your name, his name, date of sale, mileage, up to you.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:41 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys,

I sold the car to the guy. I have to fax a copy of the title to his bank and they will then either wire the money to my account or send a cashiers check. Either way, we signed the homemade bill of sale. I keep the car for two more weeks while I fax the title etc. and get paid. Then I said I would deliver the car, local guy sort of, with the extras etc. I have never heard about removing the plates. Phil, is this normal? Won't the bill of sale and the signed title void my responsiblity of ownership if this guy goes and gets tickets? Or do I just drive the car over and take a screwdriver and remove the plates in front of the guy?
Old 03-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

You keep the plates. In Illinois it is illegal to leave them on the car. The buyer has the right to drive the vehicle a reasonable distance in order to have it titled and licensed. (Reasonable would be to the currency exchange or Secretary of State's office or you may be required to take it to a local Police Department to have the VIN verified.) The buyer just makes sure he has a bill of sale and all the other papers supporting the sale. Then he nicely explains to the cop (if he gets pulled over on the way) that he just purchased and is headed to the DMV to get it licensed. Bottom line is once that title is signed over and money is exchanged, the seller must keep the plates.

That being said, you'd be going the extra mile if you drove it to his house and removed the plates there. Then he wouldn't run the risk of getting stopped. Unless, of course, he can't resist taking it for a spin before the plates come!!
Old 03-25-2006, 06:02 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nothsa

Yep, thats the easiest most sufficient way. Make sure you count it at least two times, I counted it three times before I was happy. Make sure you have a nice place to hide it too!

i counted my mony one time (y) its all there ...
Old 03-25-2006, 06:12 PM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

i would definately take the plates off.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Route 99
1st Gear Member

What a good discussion. I appreciate reading posts from around the U.S.A. Since my first post on this thread, I went out to the California DMV website. Here's what I found out. If I am misunderstanding anything or just plain wrong about anything I'm posting, I would be thankful for anyone setting me straight. Please note that what I'm posting here applies to what I understand are the rules for California, and not any other States.

What do I do with the license plate?

Most vehicles have sequentially issued “standard†license plates that remain with the vehicle when ownership is transferred. If the license plate is a special interest or personalized license plate, you must decide if you want to retain the plate for use on another vehicle, or release your interest in the plate. Complete a Special Interest License Plate Application indicating your retention or release of the special plate. If you are releasing the plates fill out the form, give it to the buyer and retain a copy for your records. If you are retaining the plates follow the instructions on the form.

You must notify DMV within five days when you sell or transfer ownership of your vehicle. Complete a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability and mail it to the address on the form. Keep a copy for your records.

The Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability does not remove your name from DMV’s records, but you are no longer responsible for civil or criminal actions regarding the vehicle after the date of sale, and no further renewal billing notices will be mailed to you.

When you give the buyer all of the required documentation and DMV receives your completed Notice of Release of Liability, the seller’s part of the transaction is complete. Once the buyer has provided DMV with all the proper documentation and fees, the vehicle record is updated to reflect the change of ownership and a registration card is issued to the new owner. A new title is issued from DMV headquarters within 60 calendar days.

In California we also need to deal with a smog certification.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:02 PM
95Tbird
1st Gear Member

better yet go to a dealership or car lot and get a bill of sale from them, forms always look better. Keep the bill of sale always, I have had calls from police about a car I sold years ago that was never put in the new owners name.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Route 99
1st Gear Member

Yes, 95Tbird, that is a good reason to go to a dealership or a car lot rather than buying or selling private party. You usually pay more money when buying a car at a dealership or car lot, and often get less for your old car when selling or trading it in, but you avoid the extra work involved in buying and selling privately. And in your case, you can avoid getting a surprise call from the police about a car you had sold years ago. You make a good point.