Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my SLP Headers, Xpipe and Hight-flow Cats yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 05:11 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

Default Installed my SLP Headers, Xpipe and Hight-flow Cats yesterday

For everyone recently asking about it.

My first thoughts on doing it at home.

A) If you can get your car higher than normal ramps, DO IT
B) If you have ANYONE available to help you for the day, GET THEM
C) Make sure you have ALL neccessary tools for the job right away and close at hand (though is obvious for any job)
D) FOLLOW THE EXACT INSTRUCTION... especially when it says remove the battery cables from the batteries, lol, I didn't think it was necessary until my wrench slipping when I was on the passenger side near the starter... ZAP! goes the wrench.

I can't say it was all that hard, it was just very time consuming as I did it all alone. I also hurt like hell from going up and down underneath the car all day. It took me 12 hours total, including lunch/supper and 2 trips to the tool store. Keep in mind this is the first time I've ever touch an exhaust system in my life.

SLP provided pretty good instructions, the only thing I had to do that it didn't mention was remove the starter. I'm sure if my car was on a hoist I could have squirreled the passenger side header in around it, but because the car was so bloody low to the ground I had to take it off. I never had to jack my engine at all either, which was nice.

I had drivers side manifold off within 2 hours, and passenger side off with in 5. The passenger side installed withing 7 and the drivers side within 10 (this was the only part I needed a 10mm gear wrench for, and of course I didn't have one) and the x-pipe/cats install took 2 hours because of how low the car is in the middle when your only on 12" ramps, and the fact the x-pipe constuction quality kind of sucks.

As I mentioned in another thread, the headers look really good, nice and smooth, and the welds look nice. The X-pipe isn't as impressive, not-so-good welds, one tip was bent inwards, and they didn't fit in very easily, the distance between the exhaust mounts weren't exact, so my rubber mounts under the car are getting slighty stretched outwards because of it.

What impressed me the most was how loud it WASN'T, I got the whole kit for the horsepower increase, I really didn't want it to be much louder than it already is (well maybe a little) , and it isn't bad at all! It is louder, but a lot better then I was expecting.

I still have to go back under and find a leak I can hear, but I am way too soar to do it today. My word of advice, if your gonna be on ramps, or jack stands, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE REALLY GOOD ABS & NECK MUSCLES!!! [sm=happybounce.gif]