Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A thousand down? bullship or no

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 06:49 PM
alumacomp
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: A thousand down? bullship or no

I am in the process of ordering a 06 GT. In Canada, up until last Friday Ford was offering a "no security deposit" promotion. Although this may have been intended for leases, I asked for the same on a purchase.

With GT's being in such demand I don't see how a dealer is taking much of a risk in factory ordering for a customer w/o a down payment.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

Yep, 1000 non-refundable ordering fee, which will be applied to your down payment.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:57 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

i put down 500, they didnt even cash the check until after the car arrived and i picked it up
Old 04-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Leddhedd

I had to put down a minimum of $1000 when I ordered my 2006 GT ragtop in Sept of 05.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:32 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

Totally dealer discretion- but ordering with zero down would worry me- until youve paid something that order could wind up elsewhere...my salesman had told me he didnt need anything down to order, but if say he wasnt there any more when it came in, there would be no sale contract binding it to me and theoretically another dealer employee could sell it or something to that effect...once you put some kind of deposit, you get a reciept stating what its for and order or contract info tying it to you- I think on a GT most dealers would still give you your deposit back if you backed out for some reason, but they wouldnt be required to do so. I was going to put 1k down as I thought it was the norm, he said no 100 bucks is plenty to show for deposit, next day I got faxed a copy of my DORA with name on it.

I had read about a guy who ordered a shelby at msrp over a year ago- put 1k down, had order on paper- went to order the car and they 'couldnt do it'...well they couldnt till a lawyer contacted them- probably one of the very few folks getting a early shelby at msrp- he was smart by getting deposit/paper to hold dealer to their word. Had that dealer not caused him grief, can you imagine all the good press they woulda got in various internet forums? instead they got greedy, tried to screw the customer by trying to wriggle out of a contract, now while the car will sell at msrp, they look worse than the gougy guys for trying to weasel out of a contract...If you ordered a GT at nothing down and the factory burned to the ground the day after it was built, do you think the dealer would still sell you the car? that thing would be dealer traded before it ever hit their door.
A good dealer you trust is a great thing, but still, business is business- they should know you want the car and will follow thru with it, and you should know that any verbal agreements ar backed up on paper in case something or someone goes awry.

A thousand down? like I said its dealers call- just be sure to put SOMETHING down and get a reciept to tie it to you.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:04 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: hamidlmt

What dealer gets stuck with a GT? LOL! They really don't stay on the lot for very long.
There are litterly hundreds sitting on lots around here, not that they have trouble selling them but still they are all over the place.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:06 PM
rjg426
1st Gear Member

What about my scenario. I put $500 down for my dealer to locate the car I wanted (loaded black GT auto). There was only one that showed up in the search within the area, and the dealer couldn't secure it because the other dealer was only willing to trade it with a GT manual which my dealer didn't have. So they supposedly placed an order for me on a Saturday which happened to be the day I went to another dealer who secured the car for me on that day. I didn't know that my original dealer had just ordered one for me, so when I told them on Monday that I just bought one and asked about my deposit, they didn't give it back. I didn't push it too much since they did work with me all along, and they said they ordered the car. But the order was just placed; I would think it could have been cancelled or something. Anyway, I got the car I wanted (this was 2-1/2 weeks ago) and that just gives me more time now to enjoy it instead of waiting. I got the price at the second dealer down to $100 less than my original dealer, so I'm basically out $400. I ended up paying $1200 under MSRP.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Skrappy
1st Gear Member

THe dealers are also limited in the number of special orders they can do each year. So it is deffinately in there interest to make sure they lock up a little dough for one of that limited number.

Skrappy
Old 04-03-2006, 10:30 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

I only put $300 down. I didn't end up taking the ordered car either. I got impatient after 3 months and they hadn't even assigned a VIN yet so I took 1 off the lot. The only thing I gave up was the IUP. -Joe
Old 04-03-2006, 10:34 AM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

I only put $100 down the first time I went and ordered mine, back in December of 05. I made my "down payment" two days before I was taking the car home.

Quick Reply: A thousand down? bullship or no