Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro 5.0 Shifter Problems. PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 01:00 AM
Maineiac
1st Gear Member

Default Pro 5.0 Shifter Problems. PLEASE HELP!!!

I just installed the Pro 5.0 shifter on my 05 GT. The instructions were horrible, but I went ahead and installed it myself anyways. After taking it for a test drive, I noticed the following problems:

1. I have to use a lot of arm strength to force it into 5th and Reverse. I tried loosening bolts all over the place with no luck. I did notice that the base of the shifter has to bend to the right when I push the shifter that way. Seems like I'm bending the metal just to get it into those two gears.

2. It's a bit noisy. I can hear a shallow whirring noise. It might be road noise coupled with the tranny. I didn't transfer the rubber housing from the factory one. I can see the ground from inside the car if I pop off the leather around the stick. Should I have replaced the rubber seal from the factory shifter? This part wasn't included in the instructions.

3. I feel like I've lost torque. I don't feel the same pull when I step on the gas like I did previously. Could I have bolted the driveshaft back together incorrectly? Are there corresponding holes that need to be matched up?

Please if anyone could help me out here, I'm kind of stressing over this. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:34 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Pro 5.0 Shifter Problems. PLEASE HELP!!!

1. Are you 100% positive that you got the brass spacers that go on the bottom of the shifter on correctly? Their are two of them, and they will form an offset when put together. Do you have them so that the offset from center with them together looks the same as the offset from center on the stock shifter? Or is it offset the other direction?

2. Yes, you have to put the rubber boot back on. Otherwise you are going to have excessive noise. Seeing the ground from inside the car is usually an indication of something not being correct.

3. I just can't come up with a logical way to explain to you that replacing your shifter will not have any impact on the torque of your vehicle. You're just gonna have to trust me on this one.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Maineiac
1st Gear Member

I'll take a look at the offset. I had the larger brass spacer on the driver's side and the smaller one on the passenger's side. I believe that's what the instructions said to do. I'll go compare with the original shifter. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:12 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

I had to use extra effort on 5th and r but over time it eased up. It is normal to a degree. I totally agree with Hawgman. There is no possible relation to your torque. It is tough to get the boot back in right, but a must do. Yoy will notice a little mare noise transfer, but that is part of using high performance parts. I have had mine in for 6 months and still love it.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Maineiac
1st Gear Member

I just checked the bottom of the shifter and it looks fine. The instructions did say to put the large brass spacer towards the driver's side and the smaller one towards the passenger's side. That's what I did.

I noticed that I didn't bolt the driveshaft back together the way it was originally sitting before. I used all the same holes. However, it's as if a half turn was made before putting them back together again. I wouldn't think this would have any negative affects. Would it?

Thanks again for the help!
Old 05-06-2006, 02:00 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

This doesn't really sound like the 'normal' problem, but did you put in a new clutch? I have seen a lot of guys put new clutches in the car and they don't bleed the clutch properly (it's a little tirckier in the new stangs) and that will seriously effect your shifts.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Maineiac
1st Gear Member

There's a steel bolt thread from the factory shifter's leverage bar that I need to put into the new one. This thread is located on the end of the leverage bar and goes into that rubber donut. At least that's what one of my friends suggested. I'm going to check this out and hopefully this will fix my problem.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:17 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

If you are referring to the bushing on the front mount arm of the shifter, yes, you are supposed to transfer the metal bushing to the new shifter.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:52 AM
JAAAM

I was in the same boat as you about a month ago. I though that 5th & R had a problem. I called Pro5.0 on the phone and they said that is was normal for 5th and R to be tighter than stock. They suggested that I run the stick height at the top so I have more leverage to get it over. Over the past month it seems to have gotten smoother & less tight but I may have just gotten use to it. One thing is for sure; you will not miss that 2-3 shift ever again. I think I noticed a little more noise transmitted to the cabin also. I attribute it the stiffer bushings and the shifter's solid billet frame transmitting the sound into the cabin....but what to I know.