Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are our V6s so under powered??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 02:05 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Why are our V6s so under powered??

ORIGINAL: W1ldcat

If Ford made the V6 put out close to 300hp everyone would expect the V8 to have lots more hp than it
then i think it's time for ford to make some better v8's too, i think we would all be happy

anyways, the thing is, those cars with the smaller v6's having power that could compare to our v8's cost a lot more. it is a known fact, japanese people are the most meticulous when it comes to their products, and you can definitly see it in their cars.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:15 PM
jet22
2nd Gear Member

well our stock v6 has around 180HP(mustang Dyno) not 210 like they tell you.
And the stock gt has 260-270HP not 300.
Scriming put a mrt and a tune and got 200HP with his v6.
rygen has Duals, tune, and a turbo and pumping out 300-310 in his V6 (more than a stock gt)
and afixer has a roots style charger on his 4.0 doing around ~290Hp

So long story short, If you wanted Lots of power out of the box. shoulda' got a GT (and as a proud V6 owner I get that alot, It kinda Pisses me off but they are right)

If you have ever driven anything else you would realize your car has ALOT of power already... If you don't think so, get a turbo or some Juice
Old 05-24-2006, 03:17 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DragonPL

Heres another Jap. V6 pulling 340hp....
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/lexu...963/specs.html
not as mouch on torque though. But I'm still wondering why my mustang has one of the lower numbers in the V6 class...... for a 4.0 shouldint it be at least in the 260s? Eclipse 3.8 is at that. I love my car and for desing and looks it gets an A+++ but why has Ford so greatly limited its potential. It would be nice to have a stock car with some deacent numbers......
Throw a supercharger on that 4.0 V6 and not only are you kicking out some very decent horsepower but the torque is amazing from that motor. The Japanese can keep their high HP low Torque engines thank you. I'll take Torque and displacment anyday, call me old fashioned and maybe I lose my butt but at least my car won't sound like my lawn mower.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:27 PM
puppet
1st Gear Member

Uh, my car is plenty powerful and fast fresh out of the box. Who cares what others do? There is always someone, somewhere who will be faster than you.

No recriminations about output from me, TYVM.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:32 PM
jet22
2nd Gear Member

I agree... plenty of power... for now
Old 05-24-2006, 10:09 PM
bunit9685
1st Gear Member

Drives me nuts how people bitch about the v6 being underpowered. They make it sound like there was no other choice and they were just stuck with it. There is no excuse, if you wanted the power then you shoulda got the GT.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:20 PM
tdappleman
1st Gear Member

Well - Ford could have put the new 3.5 Duratec V6 in the Mustang - but then people would complain about the GT only having 50hp more than the V6. Also - I would bet that engine is more expensive so people would complain about that as well. Everyone's opinion is different - as a former rice owner (too many to mention) I would much rather have the torque - after all that is what defines the muscle car isn't it? I had a V6 SHO and a V8 SHO back in the day and both were really fun cars, but they weren't torque monsters and people are still working on them to try and get minimal HP increases from them. With so many choices available to consumers - just buy what you want. A high-reving, high HP, low torque motor from Japan is fantastic, but expensive - do we really want our Mustangs to go up in price? I agree with one of the previous posts - the 4.0 is a very strong platform to build additional power - if you want it, add it! As for me, I really love my GT - no buyers remorse here! Of course an intake, tune and exhaust work will be in my future once my wife has deemed the home improvement phase of our lives over!!!

To each their own but for now - Long Live the Mustang!!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jet22

well our stock v6 has around 180HP(mustang Dyno) not 210 like they tell you.
And the stock gt has 260-270HP not 300.
Scriming put a mrt and a tune and got 200HP with his v6.
rygen has Duals, tune, and a turbo and pumping out 300-310 in his V6 (more than a stock gt)
and afixer has a roots style charger on his 4.0 doing around ~290Hp

So long story short, If you wanted Lots of power out of the box. shoulda' got a GT (and as a proud V6 owner I get that alot, It kinda Pisses me off but they are right)

If you have ever driven anything else you would realize your car has ALOT of power already... If you don't think so, get a turbo or some Juice
You're talking about HP at the rear wheels, while every car company generally gives HP ratings at the flywheel. That's the difference you're seeing on the dyno.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:53 PM
Moonbaby1973
2nd Gear Member

Kiss my ***. I like my Mustang. If you are unhappy with yours, buy one of those jap cars.

ORIGINAL: DragonPL

Heres another Jap. V6 pulling 340hp....
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/lexu...963/specs.html
not as mouch on torque though. But I'm still wondering why my mustang has one of the lower numbers in the V6 class...... for a 4.0 shouldint it be at least in the 260s? Eclipse 3.8 is at that. I love my car and for desing and looks it gets an A+++ but why has Ford so greatly limited its potential. It would be nice to have a stock car with some deacent numbers......
Old 05-25-2006, 12:52 AM
SubsonicBulldog
1st Gear Member

The V6 above needs all of that hp to push that 5200 lbs!!!

Quick Reply: Why are our V6s so under powered??