Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst shifter installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 03:01 AM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Hurst shifter installed!!

Does the normal have problems?
Old 06-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Fly
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

How much does this cost for the product and installation? Please answer.
If you have any skills whatsoever, save your money because it's a ridiculously easy install.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:58 PM
alphy

ORIGINAL: 2006RedGT

The 5201 looks beefier than the other one. Is it actually better?
No, it is not better. The new model has shift stops in it, which is not on the older model. The shift stops are in the transmission and thus not needed on the shifter. It was added because old Hurst peeps were complaining that there were no shift stops, without realizing that the new manual transmission has shift stops internal. Ford has actually said it is worse to incorporate a shifter with shift stops because you have a possibility of seriously fubaring your tranny if the gear is not fully engaged because the shifter wont let you engage it because of the stops.

Get the Part #391 0201 model, because the Part #391 5201 is just more expensive with crap you dont need which could screw up your transmission.

BTW, Im installing my Hurst tonight.

When Hurst first released the Part #391 0201, the instructions for installation were incorrect, one of the tranny arms was grooved wrong and some users commented on a lot of up and down play in the shifter ball bearing. All these issues have been addressed and the old shifters have been sent back to the factory. If you buy from a reputable dealer you should get the newer Part #391 0201 series of shifter.

Ive been doing research on this for a while.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:06 PM
2006MustangGTNYC
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: alphy

The 5201 looks beefier than the other one. Is it actually better?
No, it is not better. The new model has shift stops in it, which is not on the older model. The shift stops are in the transmission and thus not needed on the shifter. It was added because old Hurst peeps were complaining that there were no shift stops, without realizing that the new manual transmission has shift stops internal. Ford has actually said it is worse to incorporate a shifter with shift stops because you have a possibility of seriously fubaring your tranny if the gear is not fully engaged because the shifter wont let you engage it because of the stops.

Get the Part #391 0201 model, because the Part #391 5201 is just more expensive with crap you dont need which could screw up your transmission.

BTW, Im installing my Hurst tonight.

When Hurst first released the Part #391 0201, the instructions for installation were incorrect, one of the tranny arms was grooved wrong and some users commented on a lot of up and down play in the shifter ball bearing. All these issues have been addressed and the old shifters have been sent back to the factory. If you buy from a reputable dealer you should get the newer Part #391 0201 series of shifter.

Ive been doing research on this for a while.

Can you prove this? I have the new one on order nad dont wanna make a mistake and screw my tranny.... show me a link or an article that says this. Im not saying you're lying, just need verification.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:11 PM
alphy

Yeah, gimme a bit I gotta dig through all the sites Ive been researching shifters on. I know its hard to say trust me on the internet so I will try and dig up the information.

I was wanting a new shifter in my car since I got it last October, but I was holding off until Hurst fixed their issues. They finally did, got mine in two days ago from Brenspeed and Im installing tonight.

Let me see if I can dig up the info.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:19 PM
2006MustangGTNYC
2nd Gear Member

I was wanting a new shifter in my car since I got it last October, but I was holding off until Hurst fixed their issues. They finally did, got mine in two days ago from Brenspeed and Im installing tonight.

Let me see if I can dig up the info.

Wait - they fixed issues on the current or NEW one? now im confused. please elaborate. thank you!
Old 06-02-2006, 01:29 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

it definately does look cooler than the stock shifter, i'll
probably do the same at some point
Old 06-02-2006, 01:46 PM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

How much does this cost for the product and installation? Please answer.
ORIGINAL: PullMeOverRed05

I have to agree. I love the Hurst. The upgrade in appearance alone was worth it for me.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14145/1C15BEB5AD624AB3920D9A6FDFB0F103.jpg[/IMG]
The shifter I got for about $185 (0201 style). I did the install myself. VERY easy. Less than an hour. Just a couple of hand tools and a set of ramps and your in business. Only
special" thing you need is Blue thread locker for one of the bolts. (Don't use red).

Old 06-02-2006, 01:46 PM
alphy

ORIGINAL: 2006MustangGTNYC
Wait - they fixed issues on the current or NEW one? now im confused. please elaborate. thank you!
GTNYC, read the second part to my original post. You may of missed it because I added it later.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:55 PM
2006MustangGTNYC
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2006MustangGTNYC
GTNYC, read the second part to my original post. You may of missed it because I added it later.

OK, now I undersatnd. can you tell me which "resputable" dealer you bought from and what I should expect?

Quick Reply: Hurst shifter installed!!