Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First issue with car...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 01:56 PM
2006GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: First issue with car...

Btw, same thing just happened to me on my 06. I posted about it in another thread and was immediately jumped on about how ignorant I was for not having it on a trickle charger in my garage. They're right! How stupid of me to expect a brand new car and battery could ever stand up to such extreme conditions. Anyway, whenever I get time, I'm gonna have to bring it to the stealer and argue with them about it. No TSBs or recalls exist for the problem yet according to them.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Lurch

Yes, it seems I have read in several different forums about the new mustangs having problems keeping the battery charged when you let it sit for several days. Most of the posts though have the car continuing to run after they jump it, I just was not so lucky. Looking back I should have known something was wrong, as soon as I started the car with the booster attached he unplugged it and the car died instantly. I may have to invest in one of those battery boosters. It was about the size of a shoe box with jumper cables on either side, instantly fired the car up. I agree that everyone probably needs some means to jump/charge a car battery but I have become spoiled with new vehicles that wont let you leave the lights on(for long anyhow), radio etc. Hehe, yet another thing I need for the garage.

Lurch
Old 06-06-2006, 03:06 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I don't know if I'm lucky or what, but I stored my car for 2+ months and it started.
Anyone know if a good battery tender / trickle charger brand so I can look these next few months for a sale one?
Old 06-06-2006, 03:10 PM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

Found our 05 battery dead one day. My son put his charger on it to recharge it, not a trickle charger. Haven't had a problem since that day. I do always turn off the radio since then instead of letting the car do it when I open the door. So far so good... don't know if it was related to the radio or not but the battery hasn't gone dead since that one time and recharging it back up. Car had only been sitting just a few days when the battery died. First thing I noticed was the remote didn't open the doors, went and grabbed the other remote to make sure it wasn' t a remote problem and same thing. Opened door with key and tried to start car and that's when I knew I had a problem of some sort.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:19 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

I dunno, my daughter's 05 GT vert sat in my garage all last winter, and I only started it every 2 weeks or so, w/ no probs.

lurch, those battery jump boxes are pretty handy, most Autozones, Pepboys, B to B, Carquest etc, carry them. Prices are like $29 to $69. I wouldn't get the "combo" with the air station. But, do get the one w/ DC plug, you can run a spotlight, radio, cellphone, TV off of it It's a real handy option. Some recharge with an adaptor, and some you just plug into straight AC
Old 06-06-2006, 04:20 PM
lmunz22
2nd Gear Member

My Physics teacher has 3 Dodge Vipers. Once, the battery on his red one died, so he called AAA. The kid who came out hooked the cables up wrong, and blew a few hundred dollars worth of fuses on the Viper. At least that didn't happen to you.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:40 PM
TorchRedStang

ORIGINAL: Lurch

I may have to invest in one of those battery boosters. It was about the size of a shoe box with jumper cables on either side, instantly fired the car up.

Lurch

I bought one of those before I flew to Vegas for 9 days. I knew that when I returned that my pony would be dead, and I did not want to wait for a tow truck to show up and give me a jump.

Ford really needs a TSB on this issue. It has happened to me twice now.

Old 06-06-2006, 05:29 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

The easiest solution here is that someone needs to hook up a flux capacitor to there 06 gt, drive the required 88mph, and go back in time to about mid 2003 and tell the design team that the charging system and the battery they will run in them is a POS. Thats the easiest thing to do IMO!!
Old 06-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Lurch

Just got the car back. Seems fine, though only time will tell.

Lurch
Old 06-06-2006, 07:17 PM
jts
2nd Gear Member

This is what I used over the winter with my '05
I don't use it in the summer,the can sit for a week with no problems at all.
Scroll down to the smaller one.

yuasa

Quick Reply: First issue with car...