Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

line locks

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 09:51 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: line locks

ORIGINAL: fairlane292
We're not talking a lot of $$$ here... I wonder if there is an advantage/preference of one option over the other. You're going with two,as I had seen out here in the forum... better you think than single?
The primary reason I am going with 2 is it has been proven time and time again to work and is actually very simple, the single solenoid kit actually looks more complex.

ORIGINAL: 281GT
I was looking at that kit that RPM outlet has. It's price is reasonable. Consider that brake system pressure can get well into four digits. You do NOT want a cheap selonoid handling pressure like that. If the selonoid were to fail it could fail at any time you are using the brakes, not just when you are using the line lock. If the selonoid were to fail you would still have the rear brakes however the pedal would go most of way to the floor in a case of a selonoid failure and the reduced braking power could be enough to send you into the back of a 1975 F350 or something equally solid.
Think of it this way, a cheap line lock selonoid is like a discount parachute. NOT a good idea.
All line lock solenoids I have purchased have been equal, I don't care if it's a $100 Hurst solenoid or a $40 Summit branded solenoid (which actually appears to be a Hurst) they all work the same and work well. It appears the solenoid in the MotoBlue kit is actually a B&M solenoid which can be purchased for $70 from Summit, I promise you there isn't $130 in lines and fittings in that kit.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:55 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Yeah you are probably right. If they all appear to be using the same selonoid there should be no problem at all. I guess I should look around some more at pricing then. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:41 PM
mauiboy
2nd Gear Member

I installed mine a couple weeks ago for a little over a $100 bucks, all Summit parts with (2) solenoids! I called Hurst up and they said the 05' and up mustangs require 2 solenoids, one for each side. RPMoutlet is a rip off at that price and Hurst is still alittle pricy too.
Summit or Jegs is the way to go for all your line lock needs...

Mauiboy

[IMG]local://upfiles/16389/1369A0782396425EB9C8A982C7EFEC0F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-17-2006, 01:10 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I suppose you're talking about SUM-760002 at $38.95; so two of those; I'm handy mechanically but unless you were to give me (us) a list of what you needed, particularly the lines and fittings; I'm pretty much at a loss here. I know Summit Tech is very helpful but maybe since you just did this recently you could outline this for us. I could bend lines if I needed to but I prefer not to get into flaring of ends; not sure if you found that to be necessary. If you get some time and a chance to document something for us that would be much appreciated I know. thanks, Jim
Old 06-17-2006, 02:57 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

I suppose you're talking about SUM-760002 at $38.95; so two of those; I'm handy mechanically but unless you were to give me (us) a list of what you needed, particularly the lines and fittings; I'm pretty much at a loss here. I know Summit Tech is very helpful but maybe since you just did this recently you could outline this for us. I could bend lines if I needed to but I prefer not to get into flaring of ends; not sure if you found that to be necessary. If you get some time and a chance to document something for us that would be much appreciated I know. thanks, Jim
Yeah, me too, I would love to have them installed on my automatic for when I go to the track or just doing a little burnout for fun, just don't know which parts to get for my car. Would really appreciate a parts list, will give you my first born if that list included links to the parts on Jegs or Summit!
Old 06-17-2006, 04:05 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I see the 2 front lines coming off the front mounted brake control system; ...and I know the solenoids have to go betwen there are the calipers but wher is it recommended to mount them and since there are two with one switch, one light and no doubt one fuse what is the recommened wiring scheme? ...sorry, it's these detail questions that just make it confusing to me w/o some guidance. Summit install .pdf is of no value. Whatever you can do for us man; sure would appreciate it. ...Jim
Old 06-17-2006, 04:11 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Dont wanna sound dumb here, but what are linelocks?
Old 06-17-2006, 06:22 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Quote from motoblue:
"Press the brake pedal and hold the roll control Snap-action switch down. Remove your foot from the pedal, and the solenoid maintains line pressure to the front brakes until the switch is released. This makes it easy to heat the rear tires in the burnout box, while minimizing wear and tear on your car's rear brake components. You can also use the system to prevent a manual-trans car from rolling out of the staging beams at the starting line. "
Old 06-17-2006, 06:27 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Quote from motoblue:
"Press the brake pedal and hold the roll control Snap-action switch down. Remove your foot from the pedal, and the solenoid maintains line pressure to the front brakes until the switch is released. This makes it easy to heat the rear tires in the burnout box, while minimizing wear and tear on your car's rear brake components. You can also use the system to prevent a manual-trans car from rolling out of the staging beams at the starting line. "
Thanks.. so from what I was able to understand from that lol... it basically hold your brakes locked until you let go of the switch?

Is it easy to burn out with this these?
Old 06-17-2006, 07:02 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

They hold the brakes locked on the front tires, not the rear tires, that's what make it easier and better for your car when doing a burnout. Without linelocks the only way I can do a burnout is to hold the brakes and floor it, meaning that the rear tires are spinning while I have the brakes applied to them, which also would wear out the brake pads a lot quicker too.

Quick Reply: line locks