Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

line locks

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 07:06 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Default RE: line locks

Exactly... gotta get them; but want to do the install the best possible way.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:48 PM
mauiboy
2nd Gear Member

Sorry if I miss lead you fairlane292, I personally didn't install my line locks, a local speed shop put them in for me. Here is a list of parts I supplied him...

SUM-760000 Linelock installation kit (includes one solinoid) $64.95
SUM-760002 Additional solinoid $38.95
SUM- G3904 Brakeline kit $24.95
* additional brake lines can be found at your local auto parts store (cheap!!).

Installation can be done two ways:

1) Mounted high on the frame rails behind front tires.
2) Mounted behind the front driverside headlight in front of the brake conrtol system

I personally did #2, but another GT here in town had his done on the frame rails.
One other thing to consider is purchasing a Hurst shifter with a line lock button, these come in various styles such as the Pistol grip, T handle and top mounted buttons or Classic round.
For us 5 speed manuals, having the botton at you finger tips is more convenient than mounting a push button on your console. If you deside to go with a Hurst button shifter a 30 amp relay
is probably a good idea for the wiring...

There you go!

Mauiboy

[IMG]local://upfiles/16389/8F29385FBD6241FEBCE00FB177491BBA.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-17-2006, 09:29 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Is it ok to install these on an auto??

If so and its not too much trouble could someone PM me a list of EVERYTHING I will need in order to do this.. I really want these because this just sounds awesome...but have no idea what I need, thus will be having someone else install them and will need to provide them with everything up front. Thanks alot guys!
Old 06-17-2006, 10:28 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Ok, thanks for all the info! I pretty much see what needs to be done.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:41 PM
mauiboy
2nd Gear Member

bl1nkage,
Everything you need is on the list provided, auto or 5 speed.
With the "automatic" the push button supplied in the kit by Summit will be used...

Mauiboy

[IMG]local://upfiles/16389/F460C57FC5BE470EAB914C468D5E778E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-17-2006, 11:33 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mauiboy

Sorry if I miss lead you fairlane292, I personally didn't install my line locks, a local speed shop put them in for me. Here is a list of parts I supplied him...

SUM-760000 Linelock installation kit (includes one solinoid) $64.95
SUM-760002 Additional solinoid $38.95
SUM- G3904 Brakeline kit $24.95
* additional brake lines can be found at your local auto parts store (cheap!!).

Installation can be done two ways:

1) Mounted high on the frame rails behind front tires.
2) Mounted behind the front driverside headlight in front of the brake conrtol system

I personally did #2, but another GT here in town had his done on the frame rails.
One other thing to consider is purchasing a Hurst shifter with a line lock button, these come in various styles such as the Pistol grip, T handle and top mounted buttons or Classic round.
For us 5 speed manuals, having the botton at you finger tips is more convenient than mounting a push button on your console. If you deside to go with a Hurst button shifter a 30 amp relay
is probably a good idea for the wiring...
I would buy 2 of the above solenoids for $38.95 and a push button switch, no need to get the installation kit or brake line kit. The following parts are the only other parts you will need to mount the kit to the frame rails other than a little wire. 4x 1/8" NPT to 3/16" flare reducer and 4x 3/16" IF (inverted flare) nut and some 3/16" brake line.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:52 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

alright thanks alot!
Old 06-18-2006, 12:56 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Tech at RPM says anti-lock not activated unless braking over 5 mph. This being the case the MotoBlue design is before the antilock distribution center and thus one solenoid after the master cylinder. Agreed there is not $200 worth of parts but considering everything is already fit to length, pre bent for easy install, I can see doing this install easily myself. RPM says they have sold over 300 units with plenty of positive feedback. Looks like the Summit solution is a good $125 in parts and then you need a speed shop to custom fab the intstall. Not sure what you paid the speed shop but just the inconvenience of leaving the car with a shop isn't worth $75 to me. Either way looks like a wash on small $$$$$ anyway. I prefer to do the work myself and use a design that is specialized/tested on this application. I'll probably go the $199 route and let you all know how it all works out. Thanks for all the input, etc. ..Jim
Old 06-18-2006, 01:00 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

$100 bucks in parts tops and if you can change your brake calipers and bleed brakes then there is no reason to pay a shop to do the work. It's only cutting a little line to fit, bending and flaring the lines then hook everything up. You still have to bleed the brakes either way, it shouldn't take more than a couple hours including bleeding the brakes beats spending an extra $100 or giving money to a shop for the install.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:02 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

Tech at RPM says anti-lock not activated unless braking over 5 mph. This being the case the MotoBlue design is before the antilock distribution center and thus one solenoid after the master cylinder. Agreed there is not $200 worth of parts but considering everything is already fit to length, pre bent for easy install, I can see doing this install easily myself. RPM says they have sold over 300 units with plenty of positive feedback. Looks like the Summit solution is a good $125 in parts and then you need a speed shop to custom fab the intstall. Not sure what you paid the speed shop but just the inconvenience of leaving the car with a shop isn't worth $75 to me. Either way looks like a wash on small $$$$$ anyway. I prefer to do the work myself and use a design that is specialized/tested on this application. I'll probably go the $199 route and let you all know how it all works out. Thanks for all the input, etc. ..Jim
Good luck with this and can we maybe get some pics of install process/instructions afterwards? Im starting to get very interested in this.. this might actually be in the near future for me if its not too hard to do it yourself... I too hate having to have other people work on my car but alas, Im not a mechanic.

Quick Reply: line locks