Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window tint scratches

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 08:16 PM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Window tint scratches

WHOA! What's this? My $300 tint job lasted about a week before my front windows developed "streaks". I thought it was me driving over gravel w/my windows down.

I don't want to re-do the fronts if they are just going to get streaked again. Can someone give me the scoop?

Is the a service bulletin number or anything?
Old 06-28-2006, 09:59 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Just curious ricanpassion. Are you going to remove your CAI and reflash before going in there?
Old 06-29-2006, 12:59 AM
Seant
1st Gear Member

yea the same crap happened to my tints. I thought it was the tint shop so I took it back and got them redone. So the first couple days after they dryed and everything the streaks came back. What can i do about this. Its so frustrating
Old 06-29-2006, 01:09 AM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

NICE. I want to do mine but my girl gets into my car all the time so the windows ill be going up and down when she opens the door and i dont want to ruin the tint.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:31 AM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

Nah...there is no reason for them to look under the hood...i just dropped it off this AM and there is a TSB on this tint issue.
According to the service rep, FORD never put these strips in as they felt it was not required, once the windows get tinted the thickness of the window increases so now they rub agains the railing thus causing scratches (streaks)...it is a simple fix, but it is not a warrantied item UNLESS your windows were tinted by the dealer...so the rep says!
Mine where...they were an add on!
ORIGINAL: amystery2u

Just curious ricanpassion. Are you going to remove your CAI and reflash before going in there?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:39 PM
MobyDickDog
2nd Gear Member

I have stated this before in a post about 9 months ago. It ain't just the tint thats scratched boys and girls. It's the WINDOW thats scratched. Take the tint off and you'll see the scratches in the window. The "thickness of the window tint" line given to you is BS.

I knew about the window scratches before we received our car. I told my self that we were not going to roll down the windows until I installed the felt. There were no scratches in the window glass upon delivery. However, as you can predict, the windows were rolled down only a couple of times before tint. Guess what? The window got scratched. It has nothing to do with the tint. It IS a design flaw.

I see my window scratches everytime I use my side mirrors!!!!!
Old 06-29-2006, 05:24 PM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

Moby-

Did you ever install the felt? Did the scratching get any worse? What did the dealer say?

ORIGINAL: MobyDickDog

I have stated this before in a post about 9 months ago. It ain't just the tint thats scratched boys and girls. It's the WINDOW thats scratched. Take the tint off and you'll see the scratches in the window. The "thickness of the window tint" line given to you is BS.

I knew about the window scratches before we received our car. I told my self that we were not going to roll down the windows until I installed the felt. There were no scratches in the window glass upon delivery. However, as you can predict, the windows were rolled down only a couple of times before tint. Guess what? The window got scratched. It has nothing to do with the tint. It IS a design flaw.

I see my window scratches everytime I use my side mirrors!!!!!
Old 06-29-2006, 05:28 PM
stangmomasc
2nd Gear Member

I don't think it is an actual TSB from Ford......it may be from your dealer as they tinted the windows and feel obligated to fix it for you. I cannot find any TSB number for this....and if it scratches the tint (which is not that thick usually) it will eventually scratch the glass.....it is cause by dirt and grime building up and the design allows the tracks to hold the dirt ect and scratch the window....or thats how it was explained to me.......
Old 06-29-2006, 05:40 PM
SaleenBuyer
1st Gear Member

I talked to my dealer about this issue today since my car will be in for the Saleen brake recall and lojack installation tomorrow. They never heard of this issue allegedly and don't know of any felt kits. Take that for what it is worth I guess. I'll talk to the actual guys in the service dept. tomorrow rather than somebody on the phone and see if the story changes any.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:56 PM
MobyDickDog
2nd Gear Member

BigNasty06,

My wife and I installed the felt. Piece of cake by the way. After the install no more scratches!! THEN we had it window tinted. We have gained no more window scratches that we can identify anyway. In a nutshell FORD won't take responsiblity!

I'll say again for everyone. It is not just the tint that is getting scratched. It is the window glass that is getting scratched. It IS a FORD problem. But of course you will get the usual "Deer in the Headlight" look from them.

Quick Reply: Window tint scratches