Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Illegal window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Illegal window Tint

ORIGINAL: BlackGTCoupe

I say, risk the ten freakin bucks and make your stang look as cool as possible.
I think that would really be ten freakin bucks... plus the cost of the window tint that you then have to remove!
Old 07-06-2006, 01:03 AM
skymedic
2nd Gear Member

Ok Guys,

Here is what you need to do.

Make an appointment with your Doctor, tell him or her that you are concerned with the potential for Melanoma ( Skin Cancer ) and that you would like a prescription for dark tinted windows.

My mothers doctor actually recommended this to her years ago, and she has been pulled over MANY times, pulls out the scrip from the glovebox, shows the officer, and NO TICKET!

Now, I am married to a Doctor as well, My wife has written scrips for every vehicle we own, ( all have " Illegal " ) tint on them, I have been pulled over once, and she has been pulled over once as well. Both times, officers looked at the scrip, smiled, and said have a nice day.

Later,
John

[IMG]local://upfiles/30525/C3BC4CC15239443A9EC4A652D380FBC5.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-06-2006, 01:50 AM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: skymedic

Ok Guys,

Here is what you need to do.

Make an appointment with your Doctor, tell him or her that you are concerned with the potential for Melanoma ( Skin Cancer ) and that you would like a prescription for dark tinted windows.

My mothers doctor actually recommended this to her years ago, and she has been pulled over MANY times, pulls out the scrip from the glovebox, shows the officer, and NO TICKET!

Now, I am married to a Doctor as well, My wife has written scrips for every vehicle we own, ( all have " Illegal " ) tint on them, I have been pulled over once, and she has been pulled over once as well. Both times, officers looked at the scrip, smiled, and said have a nice day.

Thats classic! Can I get one of those?....

Old 07-06-2006, 02:21 AM
GT06GT
2nd Gear Member

yah ill gladly pay your wife to write me one of those PM me if interested
Old 07-06-2006, 04:15 AM
blackNchrome05
1st Gear Member

Yea, I was thinking of having the same thing done./.. except w/ my optometrist "The lgihts bug me at nights and i dont have auto dimming mirrors... can i have a perscription please ?" I have my windows tinted... limo on the back, 20 on the front... not even 30 secodns after i got in my car after having them done a cop passed me... I hadnt started the engine tho. just have quick fingers, if a cop sees you, flick the windows down... as long as they can see inside it seems to be that they're fine with it... i also only drive w/ my windows up on the highway, so i have a lot less chance of getting a window tint ticket when im passing a sitting cop at 65-70, he's going to be looking at his radar, not my windows.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:30 AM
ScreamingYellow
2nd Gear Member

If your tint is illegal, simply roll your window down a bit so the cop can see you as they pass. That's all they care about. Every now and then you might get a jerk that wants to pick on you, but for the most part they just want to be able to see what you are doing in your car. Had 5% on my accord and my S2k and never had a problem.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:42 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

California Vehicle Code 26708.5 and a few parts of 26708 say that you can't tint the windshield or drivers and passengers windows at all. You can also check out the CHP FAQ which says:

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?

The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

1. The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
2. If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.
You can probably get away with it, just like I get away with no front license plate, but if you get a ticket for it you're stuck, because it's definitely illegal. You can tint your rear window all you want, though.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:48 PM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackNchrome05

Yea, I was thinking of having the same thing done./.. except w/ my optometrist "The lgihts bug me at nights and i dont have auto dimming mirrors... can i have a perscription please ?" I have my windows tinted... limo on the back, 20 on the front... not even 30 secodns after i got in my car after having them done a cop passed me... I hadnt started the engine tho. just have quick fingers, if a cop sees you, flick the windows down... as long as they can see inside it seems to be that they're fine with it... i also only drive w/ my windows up on the highway, so i have a lot less chance of getting a window tint ticket when im passing a sitting cop at 65-70, he's going to be looking at his radar, not my windows.

Ha...That's what I do...ooops windows down time lol.. That's why I like having a 'vert the windows are down most the time anyways. My tint is way illegal, and with my car being as blacked out as it is, it get's tons of attention, but who cares. You only live once, and if you worry about dumb crap like a tint ticket, than I hope you never get any performance mods, becuase than you'll enhance your risk of speeding which ultimately leads to more tickets. It's pretty much a death spiral. Just sitting in your car could get you a ticket. I tell my buddies if you dont like all the attention sell your Mustang and get a fricken tauras !
Old 07-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

One thing being overlooked is that if a cop sees dark tint on a Mustang he might not do anything... no probable cause.
But if he sees illegal tint, especially on the driver/passenger side windows, big *** chrome rims and hears "Thump, thump, thump" from the stereo, guess what??
So stick with the legal tint. And there is a bit of factory tint on the Mustang already.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:17 PM
jay00f4
2nd Gear Member

In Florida I have had Limo on every car I have ever owned and never got a ticket. I have been pulled over several times and never once has anything been said about the tint. First thing you do when they start to pull you over is put down the fron 2 windows so they can see you. Don't give them a reason to ticket you because they can't see you.

Quick Reply: Illegal window Tint