Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 08:21 PM
2006GTMUSTANG

Default SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG

Earlier today I was driving on the highway and I wanted to open it up a little bit. When I hit around 110 the car pretty much shut off. The rpm's went down to 0 and the steering wheel kinda lucked up but I was able to pull it to the side, and the check engine light came on. I stayed there for a bit, turned the car off and sat for a while. After a few minutes I started the car up and the check engine light went off and everything was normal. I could'nt bring it to the dealership tonight but I will tomorrow. Anyone else with this problem?
Old 07-05-2006, 08:23 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG

Wow thats really wierd, and not a good sign... only way to see if it was really a problem and not just a fluke though is to try and do it again. Because if you take it to the dealer and they toss it on a dyno and cant reproduce it youre going to just be SOL and they cant do anything about it anyways....

One idea is it could have possibly been the tune... not sure why or what caused it but just an idea to keep in the back of your head...

If I were you I would try to do it again and if it does it again, drive it home, reload the stock tune, then try to reflash back to the performance tune you have. Then try to open it up on the highway again and see if it still does the same thing. If it does then take it to the dealer and tell them, but you cant simply go to the dealer and say "Hey I loaded this tune on my car and now its shutting down.... Fix it." You have to say something more like "Hey I loaded this tune on my car, it caused a problem, I replicated it, reflashed to stock then back to tuned then replicated it again... Now fix it."
Old 07-05-2006, 08:32 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

I don't know if I would say ANYTHING to the dealer about reflashing the tune......

Mike

Old 07-05-2006, 08:38 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Well... guess that depends on your dealer. If you know your dealer is cool about it then tell them but if you think they are uptight about modded cars then dont mention it.. just dont lie to them because if you lie to them and they catch you in a lie you pretty much f*cked yourself.. if you sense you have an uptight dealer its better to switch back to stock or find another dealer. You dont have to take your car to the dealership you bought it at for service.. any dealer can pull up warranty info.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:43 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

That is strange.

Whose tune are you running with your CAI.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:45 PM
2006GTMUSTANG

I'M using the SCT Xcalibrator 2
Old 07-05-2006, 08:55 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

OK, so I guess you are running a canned tune? i.e. you are not running a tune from a custom shop such as brenspeed or evolution or bamachips??

If that is the case I would first pull the codes and see what is up. Then maybe load the old tune, disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and reconnect and put the stock air box back on and see what happens. If then it doesent go away. I would see a dealer, and not say a word about the CAI or tune.

If the stock parts fixes the problem, I would call SCT and start bitchin. Or order a custom tune from one of the above guys.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Thetics
2nd Gear Member

governer?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:43 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Thetics

governer?
Not at 110..... Ive hit 141 in mine and still no gov