Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programmable Tuner questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 01:20 AM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Default Programmable Tuner questions

I've been trying to compare the programming abilities of the two programmers (x-cal2 and predator) to see which will fit my/the roushes needs the best. I am short some information...and I'm hoping for some assistance.
I have two questions about the Predator and SCT tuners (actually one for each).

1) Does SCT actually have a site besides http://www.sctxcalibrator.com/? Because that seems like a wierd site for a product manufacture, it had like almost no information and no way for contact.

2) On the Predator, I was reading on how to set the wheel/tire size. Do you actually have to do the measurements and calculations yourself to come up with their magic number? That seems absurd.

3) Okay I lied there are 3 questions...On the SCT tuner do you actually get to choose your wheel/tire size the normal way with width/height/radius?

Old 07-06-2006, 08:10 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Programmable Tuner questions

ORIGINAL: ponyman

I've been trying to compare the programming abilities of the two programmers (x-cal2 and predator) to see which will fit my/the roushes needs the best. I am short some information...and I'm hoping for some assistance.
I have two questions about the Predator and SCT tuners (actually one for each).

1) Does SCT actually have a site besides http://www.sctxcalibrator.com/? Because that seems like a wierd site for a product manufacture, it had like almost no information and no way for contact.

2) On the Predator, I was reading on how to set the wheel/tire size. Do you actually have to do the measurements and calculations yourself to come up with their magic number? That seems absurd.

3) Okay I lied there are 3 questions...On the SCT tuner do you actually get to choose your wheel/tire size the normal way with width/height/radius?

I have bought tuners.

SCT has a forum which they monitor very closely and are quick to respond to questions.
http://www.sctflash.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Here is a site you can go to that will give you revs/mi. just enter your tire size.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

If your going to purchase a tuner, I would suggest that you look more toward which manufacturer and dealer provides the highest level of service. Also, how well the manufacturer is represented in your local area.

I chose SCT for a number of reasoons, the biggest being that they are well represented in the St. Louis area.

The programming tools are basically the same. Its the programmer (tuner) and service after the sale that sets them apart.

Later

Old 07-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

+1

the tunable options are equal, as are the level of adjustments. you cants really go wrong either way, but if you look down the road at what you may be purchasing later i.e. s/c some of those require certain tuners. you could save a couple hundred bucks thinking now. if not, its a toss up as to local service.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:24 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

I seleceted the SCT also but there are many who have selected the Predator as well. For a while it seemed like the differentiation was guys that had a manual tranny were leaning towards Predator and automatics were going with SCT. I completely agree with GT John, SCT is very responsive. There home page is SCT the forum is selectable from there. They post all of their updates there too. -Joe
Old 07-15-2006, 09:44 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Programmers being equal, we all know that the SCT has more then adequate representation in this and other forums from tuners such as Evolution, Brenspeed and Bama chips. Everyone raves about the programs from these tuners.

I bought the Diablo before the SCT SC2 was available and I was very happy with it at the time. There was promise of shareable tunes on the internet and C&L as well as Predator had various tunes available for download. Now, You can't find a single tune for the Predator.

Is anyone out there providing tunes for the Diablo.

I'd love to hear that Doug, Brent or Fred are going to offer tunes for us Diablo owners. What do you say guys? any chance you'll be working your magic for us predator owners?