Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Black 'Stang--Freakin' water spots!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 03:22 PM
speeddemon

Default RE: Help! Black 'Stang--Freakin' water spots!

Meguiars Quik Detailer works pretty good, but I've been a porter bcak in the day and used what I learned. Shade, luke warm soap water, and a 10 minute wash any longer than you'll be experiencing problems. I just wash fast with light pressure applied and dry it off with a chamois and you should be golden.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Cowtown
2nd Gear Member

Over the years I've learned a lot but one of the best things for paint that has crud on it is by far the Mothers clay bar. It is a phenomenal product. 10 year old cars that had obviously never been waxed have a surface that you throw a towel on the hood and it just slides off on it's own, it's crazy.

And I'll also say ditto on the Ice Detailer, it works pretty well to catch those odd drops or what not that appear. The Ice wax I'm a little less than impressed with at this point. I used it yesterday and to me a wax like Mothers just seems to make more sense. I have a garage anyways so maybe that's why. The ice I had a hard time telling where I was and if I had in fact left streaks.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:56 PM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BLACK06GT4ME

Clay bar will probably do the trick. If not try a good paint cleaner like Meguiars step 1 followed by Step 2 polish. Water spot suck and drove me nuts for a long time. Once you get rid of em get a good coat of wax on her and QD after every wash to keep them under control.

Good Luck
Yeah, Clay bar should do the trick. IDK though, I detailed a friends car that had water spots from hell. The clay bar helped, but the spots were so bad that it only dulled them. The wax made them even less visible, but when a shadow hits the car, you can still make them out. Having black stripes on my car is a pain so I can only imagine how bad it is with a completely black car. If I have to was my car in the sun, every section I clean I have to go back with my absorber and re wipe the stripes off or they will be spotted until the next time I wash it. Its annoying, but hopefully you can get it under control.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:00 PM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cowtown

Over the years I've learned a lot but one of the best things for paint that has crud on it is by far the Mothers clay bar. It is a phenomenal product. 10 year old cars that had obviously never been waxed have a surface that you throw a towel on the hood and it just slides off on it's own, it's crazy.

And I'll also say ditto on the Ice Detailer, it works pretty well to catch those odd drops or what not that appear. The Ice wax I'm a little less than impressed with at this point. I used it yesterday and to me a wax like Mothers just seems to make more sense. I have a garage anyways so maybe that's why. The ice I had a hard time telling where I was and if I had in fact left streaks.
Remember though, The Ice says polish on the bottle, so that is how I use it. I put a good coat of Black Magic Titanium Synthetic down then Ice it. Makes the car look outstanding.
The worst wax I've encountered is that Zymol cleaner wax. It works great, but it is to time consuming and annoying for me to deal with.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:05 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

Try Rejex, found at corrosionx.com. You will no longer have waterspots.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:15 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: d_man777

My wife thinks I'm an idiot.
So does mine and she has a black pt cruiser.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:50 PM
PONYRAGE
1st Gear Member

Ok I had the same problem with spots on my black car. I only blame myself for not washing the car every day (lol) or wiping off the car after it rains (no garage). I dont know how severe your spots are compared to mine, but the spots I have were very stubborn and can be seen in any light. Well I used NuFinish for the first time yesterday. I've always been meaning to buy a bottle. It claims the polish would last a yr and can survive 52 car washes (suggesting a car wash per week). For best results repeating the process after 30 days. Let me tell you, IT WORKS. I did a double coat on my hood (where the main trouble area was) and it really worked. It even buffed off a minor scratch! Just see a slight outline of the scratch, and the spots are virtually gone. Its like 5.99 a bottle at Pep Boys. I was so happy and relieved! Here's what I did:

1. Simoniz no dry, spotless car wash (Pep Boys). (Supposedly the water remaining wont leave spots, and would sheet off or simply dry off with no residue. I wasn't gonna test that claim out so I hand dryed it off.)

2. Then I applied NuFinish with a damp towel big sections at a time (I did it in a shade, late afternoon time). Then I used a clean towel/cloth to buff away the haze. It was an easy buff too, not a workout like other waxes.

It worked for me, so it might work for you. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:21 AM
d_man777
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the information. I got some Sonus polish from autopia.com and that did the trick. I followed that with sealer glaze and good ol' carnuba. She shines like crazy now! Now to keep the spots off...

I got some quality, large microfiber towels for fast drying. Now if the temperature ever drops below 90, maybe I'll get to wash my baby again. Been too freakin' hot here in Nor Cal. Overnight low was 87 last night. Today's high--111. Not Death Valley or even Palm Springs, but nasty nonetheless.

Glad you, as they say, "got your shine on"!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:42 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

for removing stains/even light scratches, watch ebay for some OLD blue coral(the stuff from the 50's~60's)...a guy going by 'partsfreak' has a bunch of kits, has them on there occasionally- I picked up enough to last me a lifetime...
I bought an old glass bottle of cleaner many years ago, used it occasionally(after like an hour of shaking to dissolve the big chunk of coral in the bottom third of the bottle), but my son knocked the old bottle over and that was the end of that...was a cool cobalt glass bottle too...anyway, found the 'newer' old kits in the plastic bottles on ebay, they were way easier to shake up(sealer still in a glass jar).
Note the 'cleaner' is abrasive(read- removes paint, and pretty fast too) but if need be I think its way safer than running a buffer on the car. A buffer can really easily ruin a paintjob, but I would expect you could do a hand blue coral job several times before removing anywhere near as much paint- and no swirl marks- just very tired arms. Their 'sealer' looks/feels/smells like any other carnauba wax, but for some reason I gotta say Ive never seen anything last as long...it is a huge amount of work, takes a long time...I dont think I'd ever have patience to blue coral a whole car again, but for a way to remove deeper stains in the clearcoat the claybar might not get, or light scratches, its good stuff-just gotta remember, eventually even the finest /smoothest abrasive will cut thru the paint- use it carefully...still think its safer than a buffer, just takes longer.

edit- heres a link- this is the same stuff I bought from the guy...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLUE-...spagenameZWD1V
Old 07-25-2006, 02:47 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

I also have a Black GT and definately feel your pain, but have a pretty good solution. The Mr. Clean Auto-Dry which is only $20 which comes with a starter kit of soap and some little interchangable module that works for 3 car washes until you upgrade to the ones you by after which last 10 washes each.

I use this system and then hand dry on top of it just incase a few spots may show up. It works particularly well for the price and the refill things don't cost all that much.

Good Luck!
-Jeff

Heres some pictures of a wash and wax before adding my stripes.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31332/0E8D7B7853654C3DA4744E0DBF60570D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/31332/F2D53D23A1044564A9B05D217619F7AE.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Help! Black 'Stang--Freakin' water spots!