Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saleen SC being installed tomorrow. ANY ADVICE?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 10:29 AM
cool06

Default RE: Saleen SC being installed tomorrow. ANY ADVICE?

Saleen S/C with the stock pulley (4lb boost). With the standard rear end, it really bogged down coming out of first gear on a regular start. I changed to 4:10, and it helped a good deal - still bogs down if you start slow. the gear change was not as dramatic as I thought it would be - definitely worth doing.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:39 AM
travis_stl

Add an air/oil separator, this will keep oil being pulled from the PCV back into the S/C
I drain my collection tube ever weekend; you would be amazed on how much oil is being pulled with all that suction

[IMG]local://upfiles/41050/229268A2050E4BC3A63CB0AF225182B9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-11-2006, 02:30 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 05SDI

hawgman,
I understand you know more then I do about our S/Cs. Not that it really matters but it was a Saleen Engineer, I had some questions that the "sales rep" couldn't answer so he passed me on to a guy who seems to really know what was going on and claimed to be an engineer for Saleen. One of my specific questions was how will this S/C perform when driven at -30F degrees. 95% of America could care less about that question but living in Alaska where temps get that cold every winter it is a valid concern. Now this guy, call him a sales rep or whatever you want, he knew more then I'll ever know about what it takes to make these things run. The option that most of you have access to that I do not is a place for a custom tune, as I don't beleive there are any places like that up here. And then trying to get a tune from on of the shops down south, well hmm what will their tune do during our cold winters? In reality my car will never see ambent temps at or above 90F degrees. I don't need a tune thats good from 30F-130F like most of you guys, I need a tune that works from -30F to 80F.So I think I am going to have to keep the Saleen tune and leave what ever HP that is left on the table.. well on the table.

I just went to the local Ford shop that is a Saleen dealer and there is a S/C Saleen there (very nice car BTW) the Saleen S/C is hittin the plastic on the left rear and less then 3/8" on the right rear between the S/C and firewall.

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack this thread!

05SDI
If you do not have access to a tuning facility where you are at, might I suggest contacting Jim Jr. at JDM Engineering. They know their stuff.

Sounds like you have your mind set, good for you. But I will say again, I don't care if you talked to a sales rep, an engineer, or Steve Saleen himself, the Saleen provided tunes are "less than desireable".
Old 07-11-2006, 04:44 PM
skymedic
2nd Gear Member

We are putting in the GTI pumps that are used on the Ford GT 40. They say they have had much better success at the higher RPM's.

Just dropped it off an hour ago, they are going to install my Hurst Shifter as well, so thats cool. Should have it back by Saturday they said. WIll post a review when I get it.

Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/30525/D6FF108DA3AC4770AFFA40ADE0BED276.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-11-2006, 05:06 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: skymedic

We are putting in the GTI pumps that are used on the Ford GT 40. They say they have had much better success at the higher RPM's.
Again, what boost level and HP level are you going to run? Unless you will be above 450ish at the wheels, your money would be better spent on air intake.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:16 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

hawgman
is right on the money about JDM... trust me YOU WILL NEED THE MOTOR MOUNTS...!!!!

Rex
Old 07-11-2006, 08:06 PM
skymedic
2nd Gear Member

I already have a C&L intake on it, We will be just under 450RWHP he says after the custom tune.

I might swap it out with a lightning meter, if we are higher than 450.

Will post as soon as I get it back.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:57 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: rex7010

trust me YOU WILL NEED THE MOTOR MOUNTS...!!!!
Ok, I have about 8k miles on my SC. I have a C&L Racer intake, it doesn't hit the hood, my SC doesn't rub any of the heater core hoses, and doesn't rub the firewall.

Someone please explain to me why everyone is so insistant on the 1/2" shorter prothane motormounts.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:13 PM
MacGyverGTP
2nd Gear Member

Ooohhhh I can't wait to race you!!! Saleen Vs Kenne Bell!
You know that road just to the south of Deer Valley airport is great for the 1/4! haha
I know how excited you are!
Who's doing the work & are they going to Dyno it too? Mustang Dyno or DynoJet?

Oh & on mine, I am using stock plugs just re-gapped. 9psi too. Not getting any misfires. (FYI BigDave)
Old 07-11-2006, 11:22 PM
skymedic
2nd Gear Member

Hey bud,

Yeah, that should be fun!

AMP Performance in Phoenix is doing all the work. I called Saleen and they recommended them to me. They work very closely with Saleen, and so I feel comfortable with them, plus they do ALOT of them down there.

Chris, the guy is doing all the work, is going to Custom Tune it on their Dyno Jet. So, should be cool. Hopefully done by the end of the week.

Got your email, I cannnot believe you put that in your plane. Awesome...

John

[IMG]local://upfiles/30525/4EED63514935471BA08ACCCA0D978835.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/30525/1B670C9E41DC43EF8C6947FFA27FF80C.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Saleen SC being installed tomorrow. ANY ADVICE?