Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas pedal stuck at full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 01:24 PM
BAMFstang
3rd Gear Member

Default Gas pedal stuck at full throttle

Totally freaked me out.

I was driving yesterday and was going to pass someone and hit the gas. The pedal hit the floor and stayed there. Engine started racing so I immediately step on the clutch and I had to kick the gas pedal a couple times to get it to come back up.

So a couple minutes later, I go to pass the same car and it happens again.

Now I am like WTF???

I decide to continue to my destination at a very moderate speed, not passing anyone.

When heading home later that evening I hit a stretch of road with no one around so I try to replicate it.

Nothing happens at all.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

I have an appt this week for my first service so i will have them go over it then, but I am curious wheter this is isolated to me or what?
Old 07-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Gas pedal stuck at full throttle

If it happens again, do not push the clutch in unless you've got a dire emergency (such as driving in heavy traffic and you're going to wreck if you don't). Pushing in the clutch with the throttle pegged will overrev the engine and can immediately destroy it. If it happens again you're much better off turning the ignition off (to the first position, otherwise the steering wheel will lock and that is even worse), THEN putting it in neutral and making your way over to the shoulder. I wouldn't floor it again until you can get it to the dealership and have it checked out, that is a very dangerous condition!
Old 07-16-2006, 01:35 PM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

I put some after market floor mats in our car and it happend twice before I figured out why it was happening. THe bottom edge of the gas peddle was getting caught behind the new floor mat when pushed hard. Yep it was scary I had to turn the engine off both times. Need less to say the floor mat were taken out and all is well! 0SDI
Old 07-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I have head of this happening on a previous posting some months ago. Try a search of this 2005 board (if it works).
Were you in cruise control at the time this happened? I think there were some problems related with it going WOT, but never saw a TSB or recall.
It's possible that there is something wrong with the drive-by-wire system, since you have no throttle cable.
Also isn't there a rev limiter to keep the engine from blowing up?
At least you were on the road. I had a throttle cable stick in my Dad's '71 Vert in the middle of city traffic! Put my hand down and pulled up the pedal while both feet were on the brake and it wouldn't decellerate! Finally remembered to turn off the ignition but it was a broken carburator. Hopefully your problem might be as simple as the floor mat in the way...