Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So C&L with SCT Xcal 2 is the best combo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 09:09 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default RE: So C&L with SCT Xcal 2 is the best combo?

I just ordered the brenspeed and C&L street/strip combo. Seems like a safe bet considering C&L can barely keep up with demands.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

you got the center mounted, stright tube WMS setup? hears ya have to cut your o2 sensors with that. any merit to the rumors? also seen good gains with them, not quite up to par with C&L, but could very well have been who was tuning it. reputable intake, just not sure about splicing wires yet...
Old 07-19-2006, 10:56 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

Brents customer service and technical help has been oustanding!. I am very happy with Brents tunes!

[IMG]local://upfiles/31319/7442B9F462414388ADB11FB799586639.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-19-2006, 11:23 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

Bamachips, Brentspeed, Evo you cant go wrong with any of them. Spend the money already and do go cheap!
Old 07-20-2006, 08:19 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JT_Moore05

Is that the best combo for CAI and tuner? And does brenspeed have the best deal of $675?
I have the C&L on now, its being replaced this Saturday with the WMS HV Intake System. The WMS was delivered Tuesday. I am really impressed with the construction of the WMS components.....1st class.

I'm not looking for more intake air.........just colder air. The location of the C&L just doesnt fit that bill.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:18 AM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

How does the location of the WMS filter get colder air to the engine? It looks like it's directly infront of the engine. Does cold air come in from under the hood?

ORIGINAL: GT John

Is that the best combo for CAI and tuner? And does brenspeed have the best deal of $675?
I have the C&L on now, its being replaced this Saturday with the WMS HV Intake System. The WMS was delivered Tuesday. I am really impressed with the construction of the WMS components.....1st class.

I'm not looking for more intake air.........just colder air. The location of the C&L just doesnt fit that bill.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:17 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTlust

How does the location of the WMS filter get colder air to the engine? It looks like it's directly infront of the engine. Does cold air come in from under the hood?

The stock radiator cover is removed. The WMS Ram Hood is installed in its place. The ram hood has 2 intake ports measuring 7" x 1-1/2", on on each side of center. In addition to these ports, when the hood is closed there is a 1/2" gap between the hood and the top of the ram hood.
I know that the design on the hood as illustrated on WMS or Moss does not make this clear, cant see the ports in their pictures.
To further improve air flow under the hood from the front of the car and out the back of the hood at the windshield I have also removed the "fire blanket" and the hood rear rubber gasket. This helps to allow for better removal of hot air from under the hood.
By the way, the fire blanket is not used on the later model Mustangs, I forget the model. The rubber gasket on the back of the hood is to prevent engine hot air from entering the Outside Air Intake for Outdiide air when selected from the heating and air conditioning control.
The way I figure it. In the winter its a good thing. In the summer, I'm not going to air condition outdoor air, just recirculate it. And in the fall and spring monthes I like the windows down.

I personally just dont like were the more popular intakes are being installed today. Its a bad idea, in my opinion.

If you get a chance to look under the hood of a corvette or dodge viper, they use the same type of system as WMS.

It is true that on a dyno there will be little to no difference in HP. But on the road traveling at highway or dragstrip speeds is where the WMS will make a difference.

Be glad when Saturday gets here, cant wait to tinker.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:03 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

I personally just dont like were the more popular intakes are being installed today. Its a bad idea, in my opinion.

If you get a chance to look under the hood of a corvette or dodge viper, they use the same type of system as WMS.

It is true that on a dyno there will be little to no difference in HP. But on the road traveling at highway or dragstrip speeds is where the WMS will make a difference.
It is true that the higher performing cars have front mounted air intakes and it is also true that ram air setups are better than regular intakes.. this setup however isnt ramming air all its doing is getting it from a different place. And I dont think the air that the WMS setup is pulling in is any colder than the air from a side mounted kit. Yes, if youre sitting still its going to be hotter because its just sitting in the engine bay and the heat from the engine is warming it but as soon as you start moving, even slowly, all that air in the engine bay is being circulated in and out.

Also, with a different functional hood, like the Cali dream or the DCF hood the side mounted intake is in prime position to recieve incoming air.

I dunno if it would be all that much better on the dragstrip than any other side mounted intake simply because you dont even race long enough at high enough of a speed.. could be wrong though, thats just what I think..

I wish someone would do a dyno test on the same car, with all the different intakes, in an air conditioned garage, tuned by the same person.. that way it would eliminate alot of the variables people try to use to excuse the performance (car, tuner, temp)... lol like that will ever happen!