Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 California Special?? INFO

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 02:06 PM
RetiredGeneral
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 California Special?? INFO

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

ORIGINAL: RetiredGeneral

I don't understand something... everyone keeps bashing the fake hood and side scoops on the CS, but until recently there were a ton of posts about people who liked the fake scoops. There were comparisons in quality and looks... so why all of a sudden is everyone bashing them?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting any fake scoops on mine (or anthing that is held on with 2-sided tape), but can anyone explain why everyone seems to have flip-flopped? Is it because fake scoops are cool if they are aftermarket, but uncool if they come non-functional from the factory?
Seems people are hating just to be hating. Maybe it's a way to justify the fact that they bought a 2005 or 2006 and didn't have the option of a CS...
For me it is very simple: I dislike any part that displays form before function. My chief complaint about my first ('99) stang was the god-awful fake hood and side scoops. Just my opinion, but eh, to each his own.
I agree 100%... but it seems that a few months ago EVERYONE was talking cool hood scoop this, and side scoops that, and can I get them painted? what does it cost to have them installed...
Has everyone's tastes turned 180 degrees? If so, I feel bad for all the people that have already bought and installed fake scoops!
Old 07-25-2006, 03:26 PM
flieger67

I'm still not swayed away from ordering the GT Appearance Package on my car next month. I look the non-functional hood scoop because it breaks up the large expanse of the stock hood and helps to differentiate the car from other stock S197's in the area.

To each his own, after all.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:30 PM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

I have the GT Package on mine and Love it, the scope makes the car look meaner. I might eventualy put a functional one on.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Seems some owners of new Mustangs aren't completely familiar with their history. Non-functional scoops of various shapes and sizes and VINYL stripes are the norm. Both from the factory and aftermarket. There have obviously been some functional items, but mostly not.

I have nothing against "functional" hoods or custom paint jobs. In fact now that I've decided I like my stripe choice, I think I'll get them painted myself. But come on. Those who think they're a purist for getting the "real" stuff are kidding themselves. Get 'em because you like them but don't become an elitist. That behavior should be reserved for BMW/Mercedes/Vette owners.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:38 PM
darkfact
2nd Gear Member

i like the side scoops, they just look badass. but i think w/o the hood scoop it's a much cleaner look, especially when talking about hood and side scoops. so unless the hood was adding something by being functional it just takes away from the appearance IMHO.

i agree 100% with torch red about the cs front and rear ends, they look sweet as hell.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:09 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tracedaddy

Seems some owners of new Mustangs aren't completely familiar with their history. Non-functional scoops of various shapes and sizes and VINYL stripes are the norm. Both from the factory and aftermarket. There have obviously been some functional items, but mostly not.

I have nothing against "functional" hoods or custom paint jobs. In fact now that I've decided I like my stripe choice, I think I'll get them painted myself. But come on. Those who think they're a purist for getting the "real" stuff are kidding themselves. Get 'em because you like them but don't become an elitist. That behavior should be reserved for BMW/Mercedes/Vette owners.

Exactly right tracedaddy. Look at the useless wing on most Mustangs. How about the bulging fender wheel flairs. And the side accent line that sweeps into a fake brake scoop line and racing stripes. These are all design features, not really neccessary to the car, but without them our cars would be pretty boring. I for one love a mean looking hood scoop. And so I ordered the GT Appearence Package on my 2007 GT. The chrome exaust tips aren't required either but they sure look damn good.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:55 AM
sybidoc

I think the hood scoop and blacked out center section on the front lower bumper make the CS appear too tall and narrow. I preffer the lower, wider appearance of the GT due to it's unbroken lower bumper line.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:25 AM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

I love that rear bumper!
Old 07-26-2006, 04:51 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Seems some owners of new Mustangs aren't completely familiar with their history.

I'm fully aware of ford's long history of fake scoops. I didn't like them then, and I don't like them now. As for things like stripes, sure they are an appearance mod, but their purpose is not to appear to be something that they are not, they are meant to look like... racing stripes. Fake scoops always seemed a little cheesy to me. Call me elitist, but I can't pretend to like something that I don't.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

Seems some owners of new Mustangs aren't completely familiar with their history.

Call me elitist, but I can't pretend to like something that I don't.
Sorry. Didn't mean to offend. Everyone surely has the right to their opinion and preferences. I just found it interesting that you mention that form shouldn't follow function yet you have side window louvers. And I'm not bashing side window louvers. I'll get them myself. One day. Rear window too. My point is that maybe it isn't always so simple.

Quick Reply: 2007 California Special?? INFO