Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COPS

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 02:27 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: COPS

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright
ORIGINAL: McBudd
I had a cop pull me over the other day. I had no idea what it was for. When he got to the window he said everything was fine he just wanted to know where I had gotten my sunroof installed and if I had any problems with it.
You know, I've heard stories like this before and I would love to know what makes police officers think it's OK to pull someone over to ask a stupid question like this. Do they think people having nothing better to do?
Either that or they were:
a. really speeding...
b. going to shortly... (or were prior to seeing the cop car)

Odds are pretty good with most mustangs that it is one or the other So, I don't see a need to get the undergarments too wadded up...
Old 08-16-2006, 02:30 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Seriously, in the state of TX (and many others) you are technically under arrest when you get pulled over for anything. How do you feel about being arrested so a cop can ask you where you got your car parts?
Old 08-16-2006, 02:35 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright
Seriously, in the state of TX (and many others) you are technically under arrest when you get pulled over for anything. How do you feel about being arrested so a cop can ask you where you got your car parts?
True just about everywhere - pretty well defined by the supreme court...

My point was that more often (a lot more), the person was actually speeding and the cop does not bother to tell them.

I am not saying that they should pull someone over randomly to ask about parts - that is indeed an abuse of power, but people that tell those anecdotes usually neglect to include the fact they were speeding...

I don't know about TX, but I in MA that there are about 4 cars in the state that aren't speeding at any given moment and the rest of us are jerking the wheel to get around them...

P.S. the last time I drove in TX (austin), there was plenty of speeding going on there too...
Old 08-16-2006, 02:40 PM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

I had a cop pull me over the other day. I had no idea what it was for. When he got to the window he said everything was fine he just wanted to know where I had gotten my sunroof installed and if I had any problems with it.
Well? any problems with it? How much was it if you don't mind me asking.

And in response to another email above... Here in Colorado an officer can sight you for speeding and other traffic violations regardless of what juristiction he/she is in.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:46 PM
McBudd
2nd Gear Member

And in response to another email above... Here in Colorado an officer can sight you for speeding and other traffic violations regardless of what juristiction he/she is in.
[/quote]
ORIGINAL: BigNasty06

No problems with the sunroof what so ever, I love it. It cost $1200 installed with a lifetime no-leak warr. and two years on the parts.

AS far as the cop pulling me over, I have no idea if I was speeding, but I prob was, almost also are. I was rather thrilled he wanted to know about my car, he had a '06 as well. I look at it this way, if he does see me again and I am speeding he might not pull me over that time.

Old 08-16-2006, 02:49 PM
McBudd
2nd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: McBudd

ORIGINAL: BigNasty06

No problems with the sunroof what so ever, I love it. It cost $1200 installed with a lifetime no-leak warr. and two years on the parts.

AS far as the cop pulling me over, I have no idea if I was speeding, but I prob was, almost also are. I was rather thrilled he wanted to know about my car, he had a '06 as well. I look at it this way, if he does see me again and I am speeding he might not pull me over that time.

Old 08-16-2006, 03:25 PM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

My hubby already got a speeding ticket with our 05 Mustang. Didn't tell me until the day he had to go to court after work to pay the fine! [:@]
Old 08-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Silky_Johnston
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm...cops never seem to cut my any slack. Fortunately, I've been keeping things cool since I got the GT.

One cop did ask me how much I payed for the car though.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cekim
My point was that more often (a lot more), the person was actually speeding and the cop does not bother to tell them.
Oh, OK I see what you're saying. Usually they throw in the mandatory "Don't forget to slow it down" parting shot as they're walking off too [8D]

ORIGINAL: cekim
I don't know about TX, but I in MA that there are about 4 cars in the state that aren't speeding at any given moment and the rest of us are jerking the wheel to get around them...
LOL! Amen to that! I usually drive the speed limit or maybe 2 or 3 over, but sometimes I speed up just out of fear of getting rearended by the speeding masses! The daily drive is pure insanity sometimes. You'd think people's lives hinged on getting to work 2 or 3 minutes earlier.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:04 PM
FlyingDragonFan

ORIGINAL: ratzila
He is not in his town jurisdiction so he can't pull me over.
You should know that in the United States, all police are given their charters by the state constitution in which they reside. This includes city, county, and state troopers. Any cop from any principality has jurisdiction anywhere in their home state. If the cop from the next town over didn't pull you over, it was only because he didn't want to, not because he was out of his jurisdiction.

Quick Reply: COPS