Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COPS

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 05:28 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: COPS

ORIGINAL: FlyingDragonFan
ORIGINAL: ratzila
He is not in his town jurisdiction so he can't pull me over.
You should know that in the United States, all police are given their charters by the state constitution in which they reside. This includes city, county, and state troopers. Any cop from any principality has jurisdiction anywhere in their home state. If the cop from the next town over didn't pull you over, it was only because he didn't want to, not because he was out of his jurisdiction.
Don't ya just love the "Smokey&the Bandit" + "Dukes of Hazzard" influence on our culture's understand of our own laws?

Its like the stats that show the frightening percentage of adults who get their news from "The Daily Show"...
Old 08-16-2006, 07:13 PM
blk05stang
2nd Gear Member

I got really lucky today. Taking a right at a light there is a big DHL truck behind me so I couldn't see the cop sitting behind him. After you take the right you go under a bridge and I always floor it cause full throttle sounds awesome under bridges. Well after flying through there I check my rear view and a cop turned right behind the DHL truck. There's no way he didn't hear and see me do that but I just slowed down and he cruised right by me not even looking over.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Agleon
2nd Gear Member

I'd be thrilled if a cop pulled me over just to chat.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:06 AM
EODSarge

Seriously, in the state of TX (and many others) you are technically under arrest when you get pulled over for anything.
Mmmm, I dunno about Texas; but in Georgia, you only need articulable reasonable suspicion to pull a car over and conduct an investigatory detention- a tier 2 encounter. The person is not under arrest at that point. Not free to leave, but not under arrest. Once they've been issued a citation they're technically arrested but released with a signature in lieu of bail. Some traffic offenses require that the offender post bond, which makes a custodial arrest mandatory.

You should know that in the United States, all police are given their charters by the state constitution in which they reside. This includes city, county, and state troopers. Any cop from any principality has jurisdiction anywhere in their home state.
While their arrest powers are granted through their state's constitution, they do have limited jurisdictions except in special circumstances. In Georgia, sheriff's deputies have power of arrest in the entire state; the Sheriff derives his arrest powers from the constitution and his deputies derive theirs through him. A city police officer, however, could not make an official arrest outside of his jurisdiction... a citizen's arrest, sure; but the offender has to be brought before a peace officer of that jurisdiction. Any officer may arrest in any jurisdiction with a valid warrant, however. I think the confusion comes in when an officer observes a traffic violation in his jurisdiction and doesn't get the car stopped until they're outside their jurisdiction. Then people start thinking Dukes of Hazzard is real and they're home free once they cross the county line.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:52 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

I was at a local convenience store this morning and I come out and there's a crowd of 5or 6 people standing around my car, im like great who the F**k hit my car. When I got closer there was an officer standing in the middle of all them. I'm like **** what a great way to start the day wtf did I do now ?? I walk over and get.

"Sir is this your car"
Me: Uh Yes sir
Cop: Well it seems we have a problem here?
Me: umm (dumbfounded look on my face) like what
Cop: Your car is all "tricked" out but we have yet to here it rumble.
Me: (having just **** my pants in being scared) HAHAHAA Oh man I thought I was in trouble
Cop: hell no. we love your car man.
Me: Here ya go....(start it up)
Cop: niceeeee
Me: Yupp thanks
Cop: If you burn out It's becuase your foot slipped off the clutch?
Me: What!?!
Cop: GO Ahead you know you want to, and we all want to see it don't worry I wont come after you this isn't a setup.
Me: Yes Sir officer whatever you say, I don't want to want to get in trouble for insubordination
Cop: HAHA.....don;t worry son, I'm the chief//

Man what a great day. Probably best day of my life [sm=bounceybounce.gif] Small town cops RULE !!!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:48 AM
AirborneCZ
2nd Gear Member

nice story
Old 08-17-2006, 11:20 AM
ratzila
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: backinblack06

I was at a local convenience store this morning and I come out and there's a crowd of 5or 6 people standing around my car, im like great who the F**k hit my car. When I got closer there was an officer standing in the middle of all them. I'm like **** what a great way to start the day wtf did I do now ?? I walk over and get.

"Sir is this your car"
Me: Uh Yes sir
Cop: Well it seems we have a problem here?
Me: umm (dumbfounded look on my face) like what
Cop: Your car is all "tricked" out but we have yet to here it rumble.
Me: (having just **** my pants in being scared) HAHAHAA Oh man I thought I was in trouble
Cop: hell no. we love your car man.
Me: Here ya go....(start it up)
Cop: niceeeee
Me: Yupp thanks
Cop: If you burn out It's becuase your foot slipped off the clutch?
Me: What!?!
Cop: GO Ahead you know you want to, and we all want to see it don't worry I wont come after you this isn't a setup.
Me: Yes Sir officer whatever you say, I don't want to want to get in trouble for insubordination

Man what a great day. Probably best day of my life [sm=bounceybounce.gif] Small town cops RULE !!!
Yeah that sounds like you had a very great day[sm=gears.gif]
Old 08-17-2006, 12:08 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: backinblack06

Well, you can't leave us hanging - how was the burnout?