Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Intake With a Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 12:40 AM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Stock Intake With a Tune?

ORIGINAL: Ruffnuts

Now, if your talking N/A 5.4’s gaining up to 60hp with exhaust I can not really comment on but I do find that extremely hard to believe that you could gain 60hp on a motor putting out approx. 240hp. That would be a 25% jump in hp.

On a Lightning there is no way you would ever gain 60hp by mounting any exhaust system. 10hp I could believe on a Lightning but that is a lot. On a Lightning there is absolutely no gain in hp with any type of intake system because the stock intake system and exhaust system on a Lightning is efficient up to around 450hp. At 450hp or so is when you would need to start modifying the intake and exhaust system to see any further gains.

However you do mention there are write-ups stating 5.4’s have gained up to 60hp with exhaust and tunes. Again it is the tune where you get the vast majority of hp gain but there is no tune that will give a 5.4 N/A or supercharged Lightning 60hp gain. I am talking a stock motor with no other modifications. If you put pulleys and a tune on a Lightning then you could indeed see 60hp gain but NOT by exhaust or intake a lone.

I mentioned in another post it would be interesting to know what a stock 4.6 GT motor requires for cfm and then what the stock intake is rated at. It would then be interesting to know what cfm would be required to support 400hp on the 4.6 GT motor. I would surmise that the stock intake is rated at least 20% higher then what is required to support the 300hp stock motor.

I very well could be wrong but with my years of experience of owning a Lightning and learning from experts such as JDM Engineering, Johnny Lightning, and others I just do not buy an intake system can gain 20hp or more by itself with no tune at all modifying anything else with the motor.
You are correct I havent seen anyhting on Lightnings just getting Hp from a cai or exhaust without a tune. I was chatting with a friend in Texas who happens to race a Lightning and he says his (2003) got almost 80 on a Dyno from full exhaust w/ headers, larger charge cooler, and a CAI and that cost him over 2 grand just for that alone. But he says a tune alone on a Lightning will get you almost 40hp alone.
That makes more sense to me now. And the "larger charge cooler" is equal to about 8hp - 10hp. The colder you can keep the air in the supercharger with the intercooler the more hp it will make. The "larger charge cooler" is nothing more then a bigger holding tank for the coolant that is feed through the intercooler. Many models allow you to ice them, in other words you have the lines where the intercooler coolant flows in the tank and then you pack ice bags, or just plain ice, around them and it basically acts as a chiller...