Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idiot truck drivers!

Old 08-22-2006, 02:36 AM
skillful
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Idiot truck drivers!

281GT---prime example of a Sunday driver!!! Driving around for no reason and always in the way.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:46 AM
Pantera72
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 281GT
....so I took the cruise off and slowly eased up on the gas and forced him down to about 50 kph...

[/quote]

Actually the point "skillful" was trying to make wasn't that the trucker was trying to make up speed on the downhill, the point was that the trucker was trying to get enough of a running start going up hill so that he wouldn't bog down. If you've ever been on a mountain/long upgrade and wondered why some trucks are in the right lane going extremely slow, its becasue the heavy load they are carrying, coupled with the steepness of the incline, will bog their truck down so it crawls up the hill. Its just a matter of the weight+speed not being able to keep the ascending force because of the incline.

But, I agree you did the best thing in you scenerio. I can't stand tailgaters either, and will make them slow down if they pull that crap with me. There is no excuse for jeopardizing my life by tailgating me just because your impatient. It doesn't matter if you are on the interstate or a 2 lane, there is no excuse for riding somones ***. But by the same token, also remember sometimes people driving slow are irritable to other drivers, and even if it is a passing zone, its extremely hard for a truck to pass on a two lane just because of the amount of road it takes for him to complete the move coupled with the amount of time it takes to accelerate due to his weight. If you are driving slow it would be nice if you could help him to get around you so you can continue your leisurely drive while he can get back to work. In most rural parts of Texas, drivers on two lane roads will pull onto the shoulders long enough for faster traffic to pass. Its a shame that kind of courtesy hasn't branched out more to other places.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:51 AM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

Never have had a problem with a semi truck while in the Mustang. Like Prof Wiz said, try being on a motorcycle near one. REALLY SCARY! We had a near accident with one that didn't have the trailer on the back. Guy pulls out in front of us ( we are driving west) and a car (driving east) and then proceeds to come on over to our lane to the far right and nearly quishes us to the wall of the underpass (4 lanes) and never moves over to give us room. Hubby barely managed to zip ahead of the truck getting us out of that position between the truck and the wall. We turn off for gas shortly after that and the azzhole gives US the finger and beeps his horn like it was our fault when we had the right away as did the other car.

The air flow is really tricky around a semi truck when on a bike as it wouldn't take much to make a bike go down if the current hits ya wrong.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:38 PM
StangPilot
1st Gear Member

I haven't had the tailgating rigs, but I have had MULTIPLE trucks cut me off when I am almost halfway by them.
Case in point, I just got back from a trip from Oklahoma to Colorado. On my way to Colorado two trucks almost ran me off the road. The first time there was no one in front of me, I had on my cruise control, and there were two trucks in the right lane. As soon as I get next to the second truck he changes lanes REALLY quickly like "I better get over before he passes me". WTF? He had ample time to change lanes BEFORE I ever got close to him!! I brushed off this incident because I thought maybe he didn't see me. The second time I was directly next to a truck and he started changing lanes. This time I had to slam on my brakes and let him over. This really pissed me off!!! I was furious for the next 2 hours of driving time, ruining my joy ride.
I understand that trucks get bogged down and sometimes go slower than other traffic. I don't get spooked when a truck comes close to me on a downslope, it happens. It's called momentum. What really pisses me off is when trucks use their size to do whatever they feel like.
Another point - how about trucks slowing down traffic in construction zones so no one can pass? It happens in Oklahoma. Trucks will purposely drive in the lane that merges so no other traffic can pass. The reason I know is because when people have tried to pass on the shoulder, the truck will swerve INTO THE SHOULDER!! Talk about unsafe for both parties involved!! I have too many almost deaths because of trucks that were in NO WAY my fault. I am forever fearful of the fools who drive trucks.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:37 PM
skillful
2nd Gear Member

Amen on the Texas courtesy by going on the shoulder.
As far as the truck in the merging lane in construction zone is to stop all the cars from waiting till the last second to merge over. All that does is make the people in the correct lane wait longer. There are signs WAY BACK that tell you to merge because lane closed but no, they gotta go the the front. So thats why the truck is in the merge lane to block traffic. They can wait just like everyone else!! Even the other truck that try to do that. Not ALL truckers are @$$#o!e$ so dont let one bad apple spoil the bunch.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:53 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

This is really opening up a can of worms. It doesn't matter if it's at the last minute to merge or not. You are still going to wait just as long. What really gets me is that 2 truckers are side by side with 1/4 mile of empty space ahead of them and going about 2 mph. This is called impeeding traffic and there are laws against that but cops refuse to do anything about it. If 2 cars were side by side doing the same exact thing in the same exact situation, they would get a ticket. I don't hate all truckers, just the ones that make life miserable on the highways.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:43 PM
skillful
2nd Gear Member

a---------o-------------
.............truck------------example 1

a---------o-------------
---------------------example 2

a=merge point
o=you in car

example 1 there are 9 cars in front of you
example 2 there are 18 in cars in front of you and who ever else gets to get in front of you
the truck helps the cars between a and o to get there faster because no cars can cut in front of them
the top lane did the right thing and merged long time ago
so $@#! all the people behind the truck and for all the people between a and o Your Welcome!!

so you don't wait as long!
Old 08-22-2006, 08:05 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

It doesn't matter where the merge point is at. You still have to get to that merge point. How far back does that merge point have to be. 1/4 mile, 1 mile, 10 miles? If these truck drivers wouldn't put 1/4 to 1/2 mile between them and the car in front of them, I wouldn't burn up so much gas or take 2-3 hours longer to go on a 650 mile trip.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:31 PM
tsaints1115
1st Gear Member

My life was threatened and I did something about it. Period. End of story.

Give me a break,if you ever get to know someone who drives trucks for a living you`ll find out there`s more retards in cars and on bikes trying to get themselves killed than trucks doing the killing. Fvck around with 80,000 lbs of vehicle and see who`s gonna lose. Gee,you had to speed up, put your panties back on and get on with your life.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:39 PM
skillful
2nd Gear Member

Look at the example, if your in front of the truck you'll get there faster. If your behind the truck then you wont get there any faster I know.
Anyways I'm done debating about this subject, because you only look at it from a "four wheeler's" point of view. Drive a truck and see it from our point of view and then you'll understand why. Until then...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Idiot truck drivers!