Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close call .. got rear ended today ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 10:00 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Default Close call .. got rear ended today ...

Sitting at a red light and I pull up so I can see if I can go right on red. Guy behind me thinks I am going for it and runs right into the back of me. We pull into a parking lot to check out the vehicles. My rear bumper was popped out slightly from the 1/4 panel ... I hit it with my palm and it popped back in place. No scrapes .. no scratches ... no nothing. He was driving a brand new Focus. He had a slight scrape on his front bumper .. it will surely buff out. Luckily both cars have rubber bumpers and he was going slow so I left the scene with no damage and no issues. I had visions of a take off GT rear bumper floating through my mind ... oh well ...
Old 08-23-2006, 10:10 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Close call .. got rear ended today ...

How about the bracket in the middle of the bumper? I assume it's there to help keep the shape of the bumper since it's so huge, but it looks like it would break easily. You sound much calmer than I would have been. I can't stand when people ride my ***, either on the road or at a light. My wife is a ****ing tailgater and I call her on it every time i'm in the car! I know she hates me for it, but she just doesn't understand how long it takes to stop.

Now it's different for people how stop at a yield sign! I will shove my v8 up their ***!
Old 08-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dmhines

Sitting at a red light and I pull up so I can see if I can go right on red. Guy behind me thinks I am going for it and runs right into the back of me. We pull into a parking lot to check out the vehicles. My rear bumper was popped out slightly from the 1/4 panel ... I hit it with my palm and it popped back in place. No scrapes .. no scratches ... no nothing. He was driving a brand new Focus. He had a slight scrape on his front bumper .. it will surely buff out. Luckily both cars have rubber bumpers and he was going slow so I left the scene with no damage and no issues. I had visions of a take off GT rear bumper floating through my mind ... oh well ...
Sounds like you didn't get hit too hard, but what popped back out wasn't your bumper, it was your bumper cover. The actual bumper is underneath it, and can sustain unseen damages unless you remove the bumper cover and inspect it.

Just something to keep in mind.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:50 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black GT

ORIGINAL: dmhines

Sounds like you didn't get hit too hard, but what popped back out wasn't your bumper, it was your bumper cover. The actual bumper is underneath it, and can sustain unseen damages unless you remove the bumper cover and inspect it.

Just something to keep in mind.

As with mine! I had damage in the center of the body underneath the license plate. Guy hit me pretty square going 15mph or so. Ended up being around $890 to remove/fix/replace. These cars look way better than other cars in similar accidents, but there most often will be hidden damage underthere.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:08 PM
Remrats1234
3rd Gear Member

that coulda been bad glad everything went well
Old 08-24-2006, 08:37 PM
jay_t

Glad to hear you and your car are ok... My girlfriend was rear-ended in my car about a month ago (she was trying to do me a favor by swapping cars at the train station, it was supposed to hail really bad) - power was out due to storms, she was at a stoplight where there was no power. She stopped and waited her turn, right when she was getting ready to go, she got hit by some lady doing about 30 mph and she didn't even attempt to brake. They get out of their cars, and the first thing the lady says to her is "IS MY FACE OK? IS MY FACE OK? I CAN'T AFFORD TO HAVE ANY MORE FACIAL ENHANCEMENTS!" That lady was lucky that I wasn't there, she would have gotten a HUGE piece of my mind!

$3000 of damage to my car and three weeks in a rental, my car wasn't even 2 months old yet [:@]. My gf has been having constant headaches since then, so the lady's insurance is gonna be coughing up some money for her. Could have been worse though I guess, the lady's little 94 saturn was totalled... Makes me feel a bit safer in my car!