Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project car.... help

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 01:12 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Project car.... help

Would a carb engine be easier to do myself simply because I could tune it myself and I wouldnt need a dyno and a tuner everytime I added something, or are carbs the same way as comp controlled? (to an extent)
Old 09-01-2006, 01:16 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage
I know fuel injection is newer and better technology but is it really better than carburetion? Ive heard some old school carb muscle cars and it just sounds like they are so much more powerful, granted its just the sound but the fuel injected cars just dont sound the same. Not sure if that really effects performance or not
Well, the "problem" we are solving in feed air and fuel into the engine is, for computers, a pretty simple one...

So, from the perspective of fine grain control over the process, computer control is far more capable...

The problem is compexity... computers don't fail gracefuly - 0 or 1 are your choices...

As for "sound" - it is likely that all you are hearing on older cars is:
a. cams - still catching up to newer motors
b. open exhaust - no emssions (removed or not required)
c. displacement - what a wonderful sound a big block makes, now matter how you feed it...

With the possible exception of ticking injectors at idle, there is no reason at all that an EFI engine cannot sound just as mean...
Old 09-01-2006, 01:23 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Would a carb engine be easier to do myself simply because I could tune it myself and I wouldnt need a dyno and a tuner everytime I added something, or are carbs the same way as comp controlled? (to an extent)
Carbs are controlled entirely by vacuum, springs, screws and the size of various orifaces - no voltage required...

So, in that regard, yes they are easier to "tune" - but that is only because they have less control ... You still need a dyno or track to tell you if it really optimized (but-dynos are useless)...

That and now instead of reading your SCT to figure out if it is running lean you look at:
a. spark plugs
b. blown engine? Well, then it was lean!
c. overheating?

Not only is there a wealth of control with computer controls, there is a wealth of data on how it is doing...

It is a double edge sword.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:27 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

So then as far as engines, I shouldnt set my mind on carbureted or fuel injected just yet until I at least figure out what kind of car it will be, or should I pick that first? Should that have an effect on what kind/size/weight of the vehicle I choose? Also, Im guessing alot of people are for the fox bodies, since theyre so light... would you guys recommend them over a mid 70's model?

cekim - can carbureted engines make the same hp as fuel injected on the same size block?

And yeah I understand about the computer controllability... Im just not sure how much of that I would be able to do myself. Seems like something I would need a dyno to do, so I would have to take it to a professional tuner everytime I changed something right?
Old 09-01-2006, 01:28 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cekim

Carbs are controlled entirely by vacuum, springs, screws and the size of various orifaces - no voltage required...

So, in that regard, yes they are easier to "tune" - but that is only because they have less control ... You still need a dyno or track to tell you if it really optimized (but-dynos are useless)...

That and now instead of reading your SCT to figure out if it is running lean you look at:
a. spark plugs
b. blown engine? Well, then it was lean!
c. overheating?

Not only is there a wealth of control with computer controls, there is a wealth of data on how it is doing...

It is a double edge sword.
Yeah.. I see what you mean.. maybe I should just buy a dyno [8D]
Old 09-01-2006, 01:34 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Yeah.. I see what you mean.. maybe I should just buy a dyno [8D]
Don't be silly! Lease!

And then rent it out to your friends for "tune days"

P.S - I am sure there will be some old-schooler out there that will say "back in my day we tuned with hammers and torches while blind folded - didn't need all this dang data"

To that I would ask how many HP per cubic inch did they get on 93 octane?
Old 09-01-2006, 01:42 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Heh, yeah I think Ill at least GET the car before I start thinking about any of that! [8D] Im still debating on which cars I should be looking for. Ive had people tell me a fox body, and some of my dads friends tell me to get something like a fairlane, or some kind of oldsmobile I never heard of, and some say an older firebird or cutlass ... Im just not sure what the benefits of each are..
Old 09-01-2006, 02:29 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Here's one of my other rides ....

Maverick are light and make great drag cars ....
Old 09-01-2006, 02:39 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

[>:] I hate you. That is such a sweet looking car... my friends dad has one, its yellow and black though. Yours looks really awesome, great condition. What year is it, and how hard would it be to find a scrapped one? I cant seem to find any cars for sale that are just bodies and frames.. Im not sure where to look.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:46 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I know where there may be a rust free Maverick shell coming up for sale very soon in North GA ... PM me if interested and I'll let you know when/if it goes up for sale. A friend of mine has two of them and is letting one go. If I had the room I'd buy it ... but I already have 2 Mavericks and the 06 Mustang.

My Red Grabber is a 1971 with a 4-speed and a 1995 5.0 crate engine I converted to carb to look original..... I also have a 1972 Maverick as well pictured below ...

Quick Reply: Project car.... help