Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project car.... help

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 11:44 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default Project car.... help

Hey guys, I have decided that I want to get a project car and tone down my 06 modding a bit. Ill still do appearance mods but Im thinking the engine ones are going to have to wait for awhile until I get more money ..just too much of a risk making my dd into a drag car with insurance and the like. So first off Id like to say that I definately wont be leaving you guys, theres way too much info here and Ive made some friends and found some "mentors" so to speak so dont think youre gettin rid of me that easy! Secondly Id like to ask what year Mustang you guys think would be the best to make into a track car. Maybe there is a car besides a Mustang, (its blasphemy I know), that you think would be better for the track. Keep in mind whatever car Im buying, it will be a piece of junk and the current engine and trans will be stripped and re-built from the ground up with a brand new crate engine and trans, so dont try and toss me the model Mustang with the biggest stock engine lol [8D]. Anything else you guys could tell me would be freakin awesome as well. I dont really know much about carb engines but Im reading up on them, so any help on that stuff in the future is greatly appreciated. I would really like alot of peoples input on this, as I want to do it the best way, and the right way the first time. Im definately open on peoples opinions on just about everything except paint! I already know what I want her to look like [8D], so anything you can impart about previous mdoel Stangs is all new to me and would be of great help! Again, thanks guys... I know this probably should have been in OT but people dont take anything serious in there and theyd probably tell me to get a pinto.. so I thought Id take it to a more serious place where peoples opinions matter to me. So let the project begin!

-bl1nk
Old 09-01-2006, 12:07 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Project car.... help

You mention "carb engines", I would not dismiss starting with one of the EFI'd 5.0s or even retrofitting an older stang with a newer engine.

Retrofitting will no doubt be a pain in the @ss - but then pulling/building engines is always "fun". Now its fun with a wiring harness!

I mention the retroft because I am debating retiring the iron 351W block in the '85 and trading up to a 3V.

My reasoning is that having such a mule will allow me to "learn" on a car that might have "emotional" value - but is replaced cheaply enough if(er when!) I screw up.

The closer the "mule" is to the newer stang, the more applicable whatever I learn will be...

I am waiting for the pipeline of blown, replaced and otherwise discarded 05+ drive train parts to fill up...

The older stangs don't take kindly to roads that aren't straight - so your mileage may vary depending on what you mean by "track"...

But, FWIW, with a clean slate, I would base my choice on availability of aftermarket and junkyard parts...

I put the 351W in before it was cool and had to get creative. Then the aftermarket kicked in soon after and made that transplant point and click... I learned my lesson! Let someone else be the guinea pig!

Good luck...
Old 09-01-2006, 12:31 AM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

fox body would be my choice for a track car, A. you can find them CHEAP B. for not alot y ou can make them screaming fast!
Old 09-01-2006, 12:40 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Thanks alot, I have been looking for scrapped cars (body and frame only) because no matter what I get, this car is going to be for 1/4 mile only... I would really like to find a car with a nice body but either a POS engine and trans or none at all because that makes it that much easier to replace them, so mileage on the car doesnt really matter. And yeah youre right, I didnt think about availability of aftermarket parts... it really would suck to buy a car, engine and trans, and find out theres not much else I can do to it.. so which models have the largest aftermarket options? All I really want to do is make myself the fastest track car possible.. I want to get into dragging, and Im trying to get some experience and get to know some other people in the business and by building my own car, I think thats the best way to gain both. Just so all you "older" people know, so you have nothing to complain about, Im 18, and this car will be bought, paid for, and totally rebuild using my own 2 hands. So I dont wanna hear it! [8D] Thanks

BWT cekim, what is EDI'd?

I was on Roush's website today while looking at a 2006 Roush for a friend of mine, and we saw some, I guess you could call them "crate" engines.. that Roush builds. They had some pretty nice ones in their, including a 451, and a nice 427 carbureted. From yalls experience, which is better for the track, carureted or fuel injection?
Old 09-01-2006, 12:52 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage
Electronic Fuel Injection? Did I typo (a distinct possibility - my fingers and I rarely agree on what to type next).
Old 09-01-2006, 12:55 AM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

Carb for life. (owner of a 1965 mustang 13 other carb cars in the family) I might be a tad biased
Old 09-01-2006, 01:04 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cekim

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage
Electronic Fuel Injection? Did I typo (a distinct possibility - my fingers and I rarely agree on what to type next).
AH, sorry you typed EFI! My fault, sorry misread! But hey, at least I learned what EFI was lol..

I know fuel injection is newer and better technology but is it really better than carburetion? Ive heard some old school carb muscle cars and it just sounds like they are so much more powerful, granted its just the sound but the fuel injected cars just dont sound the same. Not sure if that really effects performance or not
Old 09-01-2006, 01:06 AM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

If all your going to do is drag it then i would probably go with Carb for their simplicity.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:06 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EmperorOfChicken
Carb for life. (owner of a 1965 mustang 13 other carb cars in the family) I might be a tad biased
IMHO - if you are starting from scratch and don't know much about either - you would be better off learning about computer controlled systems...

We aren't going back...

I have both in the garage, so I am a little less biased - though I still started my 85 build by pulling the computer out of the foot well and tossing it in the trash, but that was a long time ago.

Electronically controlled engines have more control than you can shake a stick at, but you have to have the right stick to talk to the computer... (and of course know how to shake the stick - though that is the same for both).

That said - obviously you can make some serious HP through carb's

I would point back to my "aftermarket" point here as well...
Old 09-01-2006, 01:10 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Get a 1990 5.0 and have fun

Quick Reply: Project car.... help