Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise in DIFF solved without TSB...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 01:42 AM
cortc
2nd Gear Member

Default Noise in DIFF solved without TSB...

Well she has been making noise in the differential since pretty much new, only when hot and after a long drive while performing tight turns... I was thinking about taking her in for the TSB but decided to give a fluid change a try first... I purchased some Royal Purple for the diff and some silicone gasket sealer and drained her after removing the cover... The fluid was very dirty, she only has 5K, it looked like charcoal gray metalic paint with all of the metal shavings in it and the magnetic fill plug in the front of the diff was caked with metal shavinga as well... After draining and cleaning everything I removed all of the old silicon gasket material cleaned the surfaces and installed the cover again with a new bead of sealer...

I waited till the next morning and filled her using a pump with the royal purple and after a few days of driving and long trips on the highway, no more groaning or noise from the diff and it is also much more quite...

I also have Royal Purple in the transmission and it made an huge improvement...
Old 09-07-2006, 02:12 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Noise in DIFF solved without TSB...

Hey how did you manage to change the transmission fluid? I heard it was quite a chore and only for the dealer to do because they had to use a tool or something?
Old 09-07-2006, 04:14 AM
Treatz
2nd Gear Member

I echo this statement as well
I changed the Diff and trans as well as engine oils all to Royal Purple and felt a significant difference
ORIGINAL: cortc

Well she has been making noise in the differential since pretty much new, only when hot and after a long drive while performing tight turns... I was thinking about taking her in for the TSB but decided to give a fluid change a try first... I purchased some Royal Purple for the diff and some silicone gasket sealer and drained her after removing the cover... The fluid was very dirty, she only has 5K, it looked like charcoal gray metalic paint with all of the metal shavings in it and the magnetic fill plug in the front of the diff was caked with metal shavinga as well... After draining and cleaning everything I removed all of the old silicon gasket material cleaned the surfaces and installed the cover again with a new bead of sealer...

I waited till the next morning and filled her using a pump with the royal purple and after a few days of driving and long trips on the highway, no more groaning or noise from the diff and it is also much more quite...

I also have Royal Purple in the transmission and it made an huge improvement...
Old 09-07-2006, 08:46 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, the special tool is called a WRENCH! As he described, remove the cover on the rear of the axle to drain the fluid. After drained and cleaned out, replace the cover using a generous bead of automotive silicone gasket sealer and then fill the axle with synthetic axle lube and don't forget the friction modifier.

It's not rocket science.

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:01 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MBDiagMan

Yeah, the special tool is called a WRENCH! As he described, remove the cover on the rear of the axle to drain the fluid. After drained and cleaned out, replace the cover using a generous bead of automotive silicone gasket sealer and then fill the axle with synthetic axle lube and don't forget the friction modifier.

It's not rocket science.

Good luck.

He asked about the tranny fluid ... not the differential fluid ...
Old 09-07-2006, 09:04 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

what dmhines said....
Old 09-07-2006, 09:10 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

The manual transmissions fill just like any other manual trans through a hole in the side of the trans. Only the automatics require the special tool to fill through the bottom of the transmission pan.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:15 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

The manual transmissions fill just like any other manual trans through a hole in the side of the trans. Only the automatics require the special tool to fill through the bottom of the transmission pan.
Lucky me, I got an auto
Old 09-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

The diffy fluid change will solve the problem 90% of the time. Add one bottle of friction modifier, the success rate increases.

Changing the fluid in an automatic is easy once you have the technique and special fitting. I have posted the procedure and link to the fill fitting here. Search the forum.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:56 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stooge

The diffy fluid change will solve the problem 90% of the time. Add one bottle of friction modifier, the success rate increases.

Changing the fluid in an automatic is easy once you have the technique and special fitting. I have posted the procedure and link to the fill fitting here. Search the forum.
Thanks, Ill give it a whirl but the search engine doesnt work 80% of the time, so if I come back clawing my eyes out, asking for help dont be upset.

Quick Reply: Noise in DIFF solved without TSB...